Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 12:42 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,843,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukester View Post
Think Progress » Poll: 71 percent believe that waterboarding is torture.

The 29% who believe is not torture, nicely mirrors the percentage of the electorate who identify themselves as Republicans, according to the recent Pew Research poll.
As much as I am in line with conservatives, I would rather have bamboo shoots under my fingernails than experiencing waterboarding. Suffocation by drowning (or the experience of such) would certainly be torture to me.

This is just my perspective and no commentary on whether or not terrorist suspects deserve torture or not. Of that I am on the fence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 12:43 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,749,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdavid002 View Post
They need to poll NYC Firefighters and the victims of 9/11. I bet they would get much different answers.
This line of thinking is exactly in line with what helps breeds terrorism in the middle east. It is the short sighted mindset that troubles me more than anything else.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:46 PM

3,153 posts, read 3,584,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
This line of thinking is exactly in line with what helps breeds terrorism in the middle east. It is the short sighted mindset that troubles me more than anything else.
Who's mindset are you referring to..mine..or our heroes and the victims of radical islam???

Old 04-28-2009, 12:46 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,831,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
This line of thinking is exactly in line with what helps breeds terrorism in the middle east.
The city where the attack took place overwhelmingly disapproves with how the Bush administration handled things as the voting in 2004 and 2008 show. Yet the neocons want to hijack 9/11 as their defense.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:49 PM

3,153 posts, read 3,584,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
The city where the attack took place overwhelmingly disapproves with how the Bush administration handled things as the voting in 2004 and 2008 show. Yet the neocons want to hijack 9/11 as their defense.
NYC has always been liberal and will always be liberal. How many people did you lose on 9/11?? Your opinion gets trumped by those of us who lost people in the towers.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Who's mindset are you referring to..mine..or our heroes and the victims of radical islam???
What would you know about it? The people affected mirror their approval as the nation as a whole. Spare us the moral superiority defense, you gave that up when you supported torture.

[LEFT]
Quote:
Like the nation as a whole — public opinion surveys show nearly 68% of the public disapprove of the job Bush is doing — many family members give the president harsh reviews. Others offer more understanding.
For Relatives of 9/11 Victims, Activism & Altered Views - FDNY News by theBravest.com (http://www.thebravest.com/FDNYNewsArchive/0109/14d.htm - broken link)
[/LEFT]

Old 04-28-2009, 12:50 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,025,187 times
Quote:
NYC has always been liberal and will always be liberal. How many people did you lose on 9/11?? Your opinion gets trumped by those of us who lost people in the towers.
How do you know exactly how they're going to feel?

Old 04-28-2009, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Oh really,read above link.

Old 04-28-2009, 01:12 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,749,461 times
Quote:
The way you think, not different from the kind radicals use to propagate their cause and hatred of the world that doesn't agree with them. You would be only one in a long line of folks who don't realize how our brainless actions hurt us.

Oh, and I'm against torture for the very reason to have a say, to protect our brave, instead of finding self in a position to not speak up if they were dealt with the cards. It is one thing for chickenhawks to promote torture of enemies, another for their sheeple to understand that it gives the enemies a tool to do the same while finding indirect support even from our allies.

But, shallow thinking has been a part and parcel of those who crawl under the rocks. If they could see farther, we won't be having this discussion today.

Old 04-28-2009, 01:26 PM

3,564 posts, read 5,505,325 times
I still dont see how you can use anything from this.

Lets just ask a bunch of people who have no experience whatsoever with waterboarding what they are feeling. Lets get their completely worthless opinion on this subject.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies