Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 02:39 PM

1,843 posts, read 2,370,187 times

Advertisements

Letters 04/28/09

Letters 04/28/09 - Kansas City Star (http://www.kansascity.com/309/story/1165618.html - broken link)

Quote:
Quote:
I am a recent victim of socialized medicine.

Last Tuesday, at ll:30 a.m., I showed up at Kansas City’s Veterans Affairs Medical Center and was forced to wait 10 minutes in this huge room with dozens of creaky World War II and Korean War vets, bearded Vietnam vets and vigorous but often badly hurt Iraq vets. It was crowded because so many vets have lost their jobs and employee health insurance.
During my two years in the Cold War U.S. Army, it was always hurry up and wait. Not at the VA. They hustled me through a physical exam with a pleasant doctor, an electrocardiogram, a blood draw to measure kidney function (the needle stick barely hurt) and a long talk with a nurse practitioner who specializes in heart problems. They bounced me out the door about 1:30 p.m.

On Thursday my new prescriptions arrived in the mail: $28 for three months of one drug that would cost me $150 or more retail. The VA subsidizes part of that difference, but the VA buys drugs cheaper because it negotiates with drug companies — a practice the previous administration’s Medicare drug benefit forbids.

Socialized medicine? I could live a long time with it.

Charles Hammer

Shawnee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 04:20 PM

304 posts, read 888,617 times
Default Great idea!

I think this is a great idea! The letter writer is a veteran of our armed forces. He/she made a sacrifice (service) to our country.

This kind of 'socialized' medicine is available to anyone who serves in the armed forces.

So, if you want this kind of medical care, join the army, navy, air force, or marines. Do your 4 years or so and enjoy the care for the rest of your life.

If it weren't politically incorrect, you could take it a step further and say that if you can't afford regular medical insurance, or complain about housing costs, or want to ****** about the cost of food, we could suggest that you join the military! Three squares, a roof over your head, and you get paid!

Old 04-28-2009, 06:30 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,276,662 times
Deafening silence from the neo-con brigade.

Old 04-28-2009, 06:44 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,010,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogLover99 View Post
I think this is a great idea! The letter writer is a veteran of our armed forces. He/she made a sacrifice (service) to our country.

This kind of 'socialized' medicine is available to anyone who serves in the armed forces.

So, if you want this kind of medical care, join the army, navy, air force, or marines. Do your 4 years or so and enjoy the care for the rest of your life.

If it weren't politically incorrect, you could take it a step further and say that if you can't afford regular medical insurance, or complain about housing costs, or want to ****** about the cost of food, we could suggest that you join the military! Three squares, a roof over your head, and you get paid!
Well that's well and great..

But I was diagnosed with Juvenile Diabetes at the age of 16. I couldn't serve my country even if I wanted too.. they woudn't take me because of my medical condition.. and so therefore this kind of "socialized" medicine is unavailable to me.. and probably MOST who need it NOW (although in their later years,yes).

Am I any less deserving of affordable healthcare because I didn't serve?

Old 04-28-2009, 07:49 PM

304 posts, read 888,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post

But I was diagnosed with Juvenile Diabetes at the age of 16. I couldn't serve my country even if I wanted too.. they woudn't take me because of my medical condition.. and so therefore this kind of "socialized" medicine is unavailable to me.. and probably MOST who need it NOW (although in their later years,yes).

Wow, that actually caused a bit of whiplash! What an amazing swing from 'socialized medicine' to you're victimization. Not even one thread before you threw down the victim gauntlet!

If I suggest you get a federal job, will you have another victim story or does juvenile diabetes work there too?

Old 04-28-2009, 08:01 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,599,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post

You don't deserve it and neither do they.

Old 04-28-2009, 08:08 PM

2,265 posts, read 3,732,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatchance2005 View Post
Letters 04/28/09

Letters 04/28/09 - Kansas City Star (http://www.kansascity.com/309/story/1165618.html - broken link)
They should take care of veterans. But the assertion is silly, silly to the point that it shouldn't even be taken seriously.

Old 04-28-2009, 08:10 PM

3,709 posts, read 4,627,449 times
This is not an example of socialized medicine.

This is an example of what you might call "unionized medicine". You are receiving a high level of benefits that is largely funded by those outside the union. Picture the unionized worker who has 100% of health benefits paid by the company (like some car company). He goes to the doctor, receives treatment, or surgery, or medication, or all-of-the-above. And it's all "FREE"! How "WONDERFUL" for "ME,ME,ME"! But how "WOEFUL" for everybody else who has to pay for it directly (or indirectly, if they are having to pay for it by the purchase of an inferior, damned expensive car!)

Now........the flipside of reality. Picture entering the VA waiting room where everybody has your SAME benefits. Now there are 500 in the same waiting room......................gonna be past 1:30 before you get out. (If you get out alive, that is............)

Keep enjoying your "unionized medicine"---I believe you have earned it and do not mind joining you in helping you pay for it through taxes. But this system is sadly not workable for 350 million people who are already highly trained in the get-rich-easy-lottery systems we already offer in this country.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:51 AM

5,224 posts, read 5,010,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogLover99 View Post
Wow, that actually caused a bit of whiplash! What an amazing swing from 'socialized medicine' to you're victimization. Not even one thread before you threw down the victim gauntlet!

If I suggest you get a federal job, will you have another victim story or does juvenile diabetes work there too?

This isn't about being a "victim". My point was the "answer" to availability of affordable healthcare, as posed by the poster, was that if you want it join the military. As if that is so easy and always an option.

As for being a "federal" employee.. THAT is NOT socialized healthcare. That is employer based healthcare.. no different than if i worked for Company XYZ as opposed to wokring for the government.

I'm NOT a victim of my disease.. I live with it and manage it. I AM however, a victim of this screwed up and completely unfair medical system we have in the United States. One that excludes me and /or imposes high deductables and fees I as well as many others, have difficulty paying because they are so high.. basically discriminates against me based on a condition.. Yet I can't afford that healthcare WITHOUT the "insurance".

I shouldn't have to work for anybody in order to have insurance. I do have to WORK... of course.. we all do and should.. and I work for myself.. I want to pay for my healthcare and access to it.. but I can't afford to pay 20% or more of my income for it.. that leaves me very little for other neccesities in life.

Pehaps if you stopped seeing me as someone that is a "victim" you'd see that I have just cause to feel that the sytsem is completely screwed and answers like "join the military" are NOT viable solutions.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:59 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,758,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatchance2005 View Post
Letters 04/28/09

That is exactly how it should work for ALL Americans! We should all have national health care. Not necessarily "free" but at a reasonable cost out of pocket and the rest paid by the taxes we send to DC every year. Do you know Canadians have great health care, pay less than 1/2 what we do for prescriptions and can go see a doctor from 7:00 AM to 7:00 PM any day of the week? And their taxes are about the same as a higher taxed American state such as Calif or NY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies