Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 11:20 AM

3,564 posts, read 5,515,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
Nah, the Democrats will be fine. Its the Republicans who need to worry. They lost a whole generation because of the neocons. You won't win the youth or independents back until you kick the neocons out of the party.
If you didnt read the article (which you obviously didnt) why respond?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 11:20 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,043,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlottePirateFan View Post
It does. I totally agree (other than the part about over-emotional, that seems to be a market that the left has cornered).

But this was about Dems so I answered that.
And from ready posts here it would be hard to argue against.
Really, I could be considered part of that "youth" demographic, and from how I vote and how my friends vote, we don't vote on party lines. We vote on who we agree with most.

Old 04-30-2009, 01:22 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,374,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
This thread's six hours old. Where are all the Democrat cheerleaders?

That's my fault for including facts in the OP. Plus their is no way they can simply blame Bush for the change.

Old 04-30-2009, 01:40 AM

4,459 posts, read 4,208,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Having gained so much support from independents and young voters in the 2006 and 2008 elections, Why are Congressional Democrats so rapidly losing support from these key groups now?

"Last Wednesday, I noted that Republican are now running even or slightly ahead in the generic vote for Congress in two respected national polls. On Friday, Charlie Cook noted the same results. He pointed out that the NPR survey shows independents favoring Republicans 38-24 percent and that Republican pollster Glen Bolger says this is the first time independents have favored Republicans since 2004."

Obama Stimulus, Tax Increases Are Losing Democrats Key Support - CBS News

"Most of the Democrats' loss of support has come among younger Americans," said CNN Polling Director Keating Holland. "In January, two-thirds of those under the age of 35 said Democratic control of Congress was good for the country. Now that figure is down to 48 percent."

Poll: Americans still back Democrats, but not as much - CNN.com
The poll also indicates that 62 percent of those questioned think President Obama is doing enough to cooperate with Republicans. That's down eight points from February, but it's 25 points higher than the 37 percent who feel the Republicans in Congress are doing enough to reach out to Democrats and the president.

Old 04-30-2009, 02:13 AM

1,273 posts, read 4,419,303 times
Young people are becoming more educated these days, and despite the liberal tilt of colleges and educators, those with college degrees are far more conservative and Republican than those that don't bear these credentials.

Obama wants college for all and if that happens the Dems might be in for a surprise.

Old 04-30-2009, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukester View Post
The poll also indicates that 62 percent of those questioned think President Obama is doing enough to cooperate with Republicans. That's down eight points from February, but it's 25 points higher than the 37 percent who feel the Republicans in Congress are doing enough to reach out to Democrats and the president.

Not really the point to my thread. I was interested in discussing the loss of support from the two groups who delivered the election for the Dems the last two election cycles, young and independent voters. I expect as these same young and independent voters get a look at the price of the "change" for which they will be paying for decades to come they will take a harder look at the "change" for which they signed up.

Old 04-30-2009, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langlen View Post
Really, I could be considered part of that "youth" demographic, and from how I vote and how my friends vote, we don't vote on party lines. We vote on who we agree with most.
You might be on to something there.

Old 04-30-2009, 10:27 AM

112 posts, read 180,100 times
Quote:
You might be on to something there.
Exactly, How I and my friends vote is on the issues not the party. From since I could vote it always has been the Democratic party though, they are just more in line with the way I feel about issues than the Republican party ever has been.

Old 04-30-2009, 10:35 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,461,121 times
Quote:
Having gained so much support from independents and young voters in the 2006 and 2008 elections, Why are Congressional Democrats so rapidly losing support from these key groups now?

"Last Wednesday, I noted that Republican are now running even or slightly ahead in the generic vote for Congress in two respected national polls. On Friday, Charlie Cook noted the same results. He pointed out that the NPR survey shows independents favoring Republicans 38-24 percent and that Republican pollster Glen Bolger says this is the first time independents have favored Republicans since 2004."

Obama Stimulus, Tax Increases Are Losing Democrats Key Support - CBS News

"Most of the Democrats' loss of support has come among younger Americans," said CNN Polling Director Keating Holland. "In January, two-thirds of those under the age of 35 said Democratic control of Congress was good for the country. Now that figure is down to 48 percent."

The young just now getting into politics feel stupid for listening to democrats whine about deficit spending for 8 years agreeing with them and then actually thinking when they got in office they wouldn't multiply it.

Independents were frustrated and were understandably deceived in this last election.

People are realizing what a jump from 40% Debt:GDP means and what 80%+ means.

Old 04-30-2009, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
The young just now getting into politics feel stupid for listening to democrats whine about deficit spending for 8 years agreeing with them and then actually thinking when they got in office they wouldn't multiply it.

Independents were frustrated and were understandably deceived in this last election.

People are realizing what a jump from 40% Debt:GDP means and what 80%+ means.
No doubt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies