Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2009, 01:08 PM

50,113 posts, read 46,715,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I said, theoretically. And the World Health Organization has NOT recommended that the border between the US and Mexico be closed.
I can stand on the peak near Lake Morena and count them crossing if I use binos. Real secure

Old 04-25-2009, 01:21 PM

1,126 posts, read 2,686,455 times
I guess Israel and the Muslim countries are the only safe places now.

Old 04-25-2009, 01:44 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,364,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
And theoretically Lindsay Lohan doesn't do drugs, but it doesn't make it so
I never said it was! You (and there are several, not just you, camping!) guys don't understand the point I was trying to make. The WHO has not recommended any border closures. Period. What do you expect them to do, say "all illegal immigration from Mexico to the US is to cease as of this time"? Who do you think would respect that? We're not supposed to be having illegal immigration at any time!

BTW, from the CDC, as of April 24

"However, no clear data are available to assess the link between the increased disease reports in Mexico and the confirmation of swine influenza in a small number of specimens. CDC is assisting public health authorities in Mexico in testing additional specimens and providing epidemiologic support."

Update: Swine Influenza A (H1N1) Infections --- California and Texas, April 2009

Old 04-25-2009, 02:35 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,464,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I never said it was! You (and there are several, not just you, camping!) guys don't understand the point I was trying to make. The WHO has not recommended any border closures. Period. What do you expect them to do, say "all illegal immigration from Mexico to the US is to cease as of this time"? Who do you think would respect that? We're not supposed to be having illegal immigration at any time!
When the WHO issues recommendations, they are just that- recommendations. They have no legal jurisdictions over any country. The WHO may not recommend that Canada close it's borders at this time, but if Canadian officials feel the threat to Canadian citizens is great enough, they will close their borders. The final decision is made by a country's leaders. The WHO recommendation should definitely be given careful consideration in conjunction with other data, but IMO it should not be considered as the last word on the matter.

Quote:
BTW, from the CDC, as of April 24

"However, no clear data are available to assess the link between the increased disease reports in Mexico and the confirmation of swine influenza in a small number of specimens. CDC is assisting public health authorities in Mexico in testing additional specimens and providing epidemiologic support."

Update: Swine Influenza A (H1N1) Infections --- California and Texas, April 2009
That is not what the CDC is saying as of April 25th.

Quote:
CDC: Swine flu viruses in U.S. and Mexico match

U.S. health officials expressed concern Friday that a swine flu virus that has infected eight people in the United States matches samples of a virus that has killed at least 68 people in Mexico.

<snip>

Of the 14 Mexican samples tested by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, seven were identical to the swine flu virus found in Texas and Southern California, Besser (CDC director) said at a news conference.
CDC: Swine flu viruses in U.S. and Mexico match - CNN.com

Old 04-25-2009, 03:02 PM

From the CNN story:

Quote:
Sixty-eight people have died in Mexico City, Cordova said at a news conference. More than 1,000 other people have gotten sick, he said.
My quote is saying that not all of the increase in disease in Mexico is necessarily swine flu. I actually think the CNN article came from the CDC, which hasn't said anything new yet today, to the best of my knowledge.

We knew yesterday that the strains in the US match the confirmed swine flu cases in Mexico, confirmed being the operative word.

Old 04-25-2009, 04:34 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,237,900 times
11 confirmed cases in the US. Kansas, Mass and Minn as well as NY have cases.
New case today in Texas as well.
New U.S. swine flu cases spread pandemic fears - Infectious diseases- msnbc.com

Old 04-25-2009, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
And this is exactly why we have a system for legal entry. We do medical screening to make sure that they will pose no risk to our citizens.
Have you ever entered the US from another country? Show your passport, get waved in. There's no "medical screening".

Old 04-25-2009, 04:43 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,403,046 times
I wonder if any of the families of the infected have illegals working for them.

Old 04-25-2009, 05:08 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,237,900 times
Hey..plenty of US Citizens go to Mexico on vacation and Spring Break just occurred for all the schools over the past month.

Plenty of Mexicans legally here in the US go home to visit.

Don't assume only an illegal could have brought this virus here.

Mexico City is a major hub of travel as well.

Old 04-25-2009, 05:16 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,170,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Hey..plenty of US Citizens go to Mexico on vacation and Spring Break just occurred for all the schools over the past month.

Plenty of Mexicans legally here in the US go home to visit.

Don't assume only an illegal could have brought this virus here.

Mexico City is a major hub of travel as well.
Exactly! I believe they reported that one bus line alone in Houston transports 800 folks a week back and forth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies