Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2009, 05:28 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,373,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
It may make you feel 'good' and no doubt 'morally superior' to paint me as a racist. Whatever. My stance would be the same if this were the avian flu from China. In fact, I know someone who was stuck in China for over a month due to the outbreak. I don't recall any great debate about quarantining and stopping flights from China.
I wonder why that is?
Exactly. Excellent post camping

Old 04-26-2009, 05:34 PM

1,949 posts, read 3,853,216 times
Oops! Just hope he didn't send that secession message via FEDEX!

Old 04-26-2009, 05:35 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,459,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
A common thread here are legal citizens returning home after a visit to Mexico and bringing this with them. This is happening all over the world now..not illegals entering other countries but the country's citizens returning home with this virus.
That's fine. Quarantine returning US citizens and legal residents for 7-10 days. No one else get in- no visitors, no illegal aliens.

Old 04-26-2009, 05:38 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,606,216 times
I had salomnella poisoning last year. Can swine flu be worse than that?

Old 04-26-2009, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And originated in Mexico by an American Company no less..the gall !!! They have a huge CAFO swine breeding farm down there..bigger there than all the US swine farms put together..over 60% of the village near that farm caught a "virus".
(SmithField farms)
The website you linked to that broke this 'story', Grist, does not seem to be held in particularly high esteem by people I consider to be knowledgeable about infectious diseases. Add it up any way you like.

The virus originated in Mexico. I am sorry, but no matter how hard you try you are not going to be able to blame this on the US.

Old 04-26-2009, 05:39 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,264,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasdrubal View Post
Apparently, those infected in the US visited Mexico and got the flu. This means that the pathetic attempt of blaming inmmigrants for spreading the disease around the US has failed.
And therefore, prudent precautions should fail also?

Old 04-26-2009, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
I had salomnella poisoning last year. Can swine flu be worse than that?
If you are in Mexico and end up dead, then I would have to say yes.

Old 04-26-2009, 05:42 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,244,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromVAtoNC View Post
As far as I know, this is a respiratory flu, not an intestinal flu. I haven't heard any reports of it spreading from eating food, it is spread person-to-person. The infected are people who travelled to Mexico. And, potentially, anyone the infected people have contact with after returning to the US.
It is a respiratory flu. There is really no such thing as GI flu, though some people get GI symptoms from the influenza. I really don't know how that term "stomach flu" came into vogue, but I spend a lot of time correcting that misconception in my work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
It may make you feel 'good' and no doubt 'morally superior' to paint me as a racist. Whatever. My stance would be the same if this were the avian flu from China. In fact, I know someone who was stuck in China for over a month due to the outbreak. I don't recall any great debate about quarantining and stopping flights from China.
I wonder why that is?
I was not trying to "paint you as a racist". I was just saying, it's not just the illegal immigrants who are bringing this stuff back to the US. In fact, it seems to be US citizens who are bringing it back! As I said yesterday, it's a bit ridiculous to say "all illegal immigration needs to stop". It's illegal! It shouldn't be happening in the first place.

I read an article today where a doctor (not some random poster on CD, mind you) said that quarantines and the like are just political, as the virus is in this country. If I have time, I'll look for it, but I've read so much about this today, I don't know if I"ll be able to find it. I already discussed the futility of taking temperatures. A person is contagious 1-2 days before they are sick.

Old 04-26-2009, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
And therefore, prudent precautions will fail also.
Define 'fail'. Prudent precautions should at least delay the onset. Simply buying time will give a country a chance to be better prepared when the pandemic does strike. Also, if large areas are not hit all at once, the healthcare system will be better able to cope. For example, if 200 patients show up in 24 hours needing ICU beds, I feel safe saying most places would be hard pressed to deal with that. If we can spread those 200 patients out over 2 weeks, the situation would be more manageable.

Old 04-26-2009, 05:49 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,158,356 times
They just closed dowm the whole school district in Cibolo (near San Antonio) as many more folks are showing symptoms. Classes Canceled At SCUCISD This Week Due To Swine Flu - Health News Story - KSAT San Antonio (http://www.ksat.com/health/19295627/detail.html#- - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies