Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2009, 07:21 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,634,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
It is a respiratory flu. There is really no such thing as GI flu, though some people get GI symptoms from the influenza. I really don't know how that term "stomach flu" came into vogue, but I spend a lot of time correcting that misconception in my work.

I was not trying to "paint you as a racist". I was just saying, it's not just the illegal immigrants who are bringing this stuff back to the US. In fact, it seems to be US citizens who are bringing it back! As I said yesterday, it's a bit ridiculous to say "all illegal immigration needs to stop". It's illegal! It shouldn't be happening in the first place.

I read an article today where a doctor (not some random poster on CD, mind you) said that quarantines and the like are just political, as the virus is in this country. If I have time, I'll look for it, but I've read so much about this today, I don't know if I"ll be able to find it. I already discussed the futility of taking temperatures. A person is contagious 1-2 days before they are sick.
Look, I have never said or I hope, implied that it is only illegals that may carry this disease. Clearly that is not the case.
What I am saying is that illegal immigrants are going to be under the radar on this one, and because of their illegal status are less likely to seek help until it is far too late.
That is to noones benefit, least of all the illegal communities.

As to people who say that this situation will be used by anti - illegal immigration groups, well -- so what? If this highlights a need for secure borders and the ability to know just who is in the country then so be it.
That this particular flu originates in Mexico is arbitrary -- it could easily have developed in Canada or in Japan or in the UK. Had it developed overseas like the avian flu, we would have less of a chance of getting hit hard by it. But because we share a porous border with the 'country zero' as it were, we are more apt to be hit hard, thus the need to be able to know just who is coming in. And the need for the people themselves not to be too frightened of getting help.

As I said before, there was no outrage over the response to China during the avian flu scare. No charges of overt racism when it was China we were dealing with. I can't help but wonder why the change in response just because it is Mexico?

Old 04-26-2009, 07:23 PM

57 posts, read 101,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I hope you're 1000% right brubaker. I hope we're all worried for nothing..I really do.

Do your research, the media has done this to us through out history in order for us to react to what ever is in the news, watch what's really going around us politically...with Mexico. All of a sudden this supposed flu outbreak.

Old 04-26-2009, 07:23 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Well, you posted a link from a government website to "prove" your point.

Old 04-26-2009, 07:29 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,012,380 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, washing your hands is not much help in an airborne-spread infection. It's never bad to wash your hands, but you get sick b/c you breathe in the viruses. It's kind of a bandaid approach to tell people to wash their hands.
What can folks do when they utilize public transit and are exposed to crowds on a daily basis? I live in Southern Cal so the Mexican border is not far away ...

Old 04-26-2009, 07:39 PM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, washing your hands is not much help in an airborne-spread infection. It's never bad to wash your hands, but you get sick b/c you breathe in the viruses. It's kind of a bandaid approach to tell people to wash their hands.
Gotta love the know it alls here, please let me know when you become the head of the CDC or surgeon general...

From EHOW swine flue prevention:
So to protect ourselves and families from getting sick, here are some things we can do. Wash your hands often. Remember one of the most common ways people catch the flu or cold is by rubbing their nose and eyes after their hands have been contaminated.

From the CDC:
What should I do to keep from getting the flu?
First and most important: wash your hands. Try to stay in good general health. Get plenty of sleep, be physically active, manage your stress, drink plenty of fluids, and eat nutritious food. Try not touch surfaces that may be contaminated with the flu virus. Avoid close contact with people who are sick.

Old 04-26-2009, 07:40 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
What can folks do when they utilize public transit and are exposed to crowds on a daily basis? I live in Southern Cal so the Mexican border is not far away ...
Well, do wash your hands frequently, and try to find a bus seat that's not around a lot of people. I know that can be hard at rush hour.

Old 04-26-2009, 07:41 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
From your own link:

Influenza is thought to spread mainly person-to-person through coughing or sneezing of infected people.

I thought you didn't trust the CDC?

I don't trust the CDC which costs us plenty but obviously isn't making the least effort to stop this from being brought into this country.

Yes, people cough or sneeze all over something and you put your hands on that something and then to your face. Rarely do you really get a glob of sputum someone coughed up into your nose although that works too.

How many times did you get a cold or flu when no one actually sneezed drops right onto you? Often you never knew anyone who was sick but got it from shopping carts, door knobs, public telephones.

A face mask would be helpful for the airborne droplets but droplets don't stay in the air, they land on surfaces. Wash your hands after touching surfaces in public places and don't put your hands to your face.

Old 04-26-2009, 07:42 PM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
Quote:
Gotta love the know it alls here, please let me know when you become the head of the CDC or surgeon general...
Oh, I believe I saw something on the WHO site as well if you want to read it.

From EHOW swine flue prevention:
So to protect ourselves and families from getting sick, here are some things we can do. Wash your hands often. Remember one of the most common ways people catch the flu or cold is by rubbing their nose and eyes after their hands have been contaminated.

From the CDC:
What should I do to keep from getting the flu?
First and most important: wash your hands. Try to stay in good general health. Get plenty of sleep, be physically active, manage your stress, drink plenty of fluids, and eat nutritious food. Try not touch surfaces that may be contaminated with the flu virus. Avoid close contact with people who are sick.

Old 04-26-2009, 07:44 PM

1,843 posts, read 2,369,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fopt65 View Post
THey've been pretty aggressive. Shut down museums, large gatherings, schools.

Mexico’s Calderon Declares Emergency Amid Swine Flu Outbreak - Bloomberg.com

So is the US. This strain has shown up around the world, although the point of origin does seem to be in Mexico. The US Government has declared a public health emergency. Mosts States have activated their contingency plans.

UPDATE 1-U.S. acts swiftly to contain swine flu outbreak | Deals | Regulatory News | Reuters

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/27/wo...ia/27kong.html

Texas Gov. Perry seeks anti-viral treatment for swine flu for Texas | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | Texas Regional News (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/texassouthwest/stories/DN-flusider_26tex.ART.State.Edition2.4a91400.html - broken link)

The Associated Press: Swine flu fears close schools in NY, Texas, Calif.

World govts race to contain swine flu outbreak - Kansas City Star (http://www.kansascity.com/451/story/1163324.html - broken link)

. (http://www.suntimes.com/business/1545061,baxter-swine-flu-vaccine-042609.article - broken link)

Old 04-26-2009, 07:50 PM

773 posts, read 1,214,893 times
My favourite news paper of choice for news out of Scotland has reported zombies..oops swine flu has spread to Scotland.
Scotland on swine flu alert: two in hospital - Scotsman.com News

'TWO Scots were in isolation in hospital undergoing tests for swine flu last night as the global health scare spread to the UK. The Scottish Government said the couple, believed to be from the Forth Valley area, fell ill shortly after returning from a holiday in Mexico last Tuesday and were immediately taken to Monklands Hospital in Airdrie, Lanarkshire, for tests'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies