Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2009, 12:01 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,532,735 times

Advertisements

Nothing good comes from being lax and not doing ones duty. It is our governments job to secure our country and keep people out that have not had their health checked. Every citizen should demand that they either start doing their job or resign and let someone who will do their job have a try at it.

One law enforcement officer said the answer is to jail the illegals. He said that when they are deported, they will be back in 36 hours.

Old 04-27-2009, 12:42 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,499,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Politico View Post
I noticed that some posters on here seemed a little overly worried about this flu virus (imo), so I flipped on the tube to see if it's being widely reported.

I just finished watching CNN for 15 minutes and then Fox for 15 minutes (MSNBC has a documentary on, so I didn't watch), and noticed that in the time I had CNN on, the anchor covered Obama's first 100 days (with commentators) for about 10 minutes and then discussed the swine flu outbreak for a little over four minutes, during which he and his guests agreed that the media may be overreracting to the flu situation, and agreed to switch topics back to Obama.

However, when I turned on Fox, Geraldo was in the middle of reporting on the flu (live from the school in Queens where 8 kids have been diagnosed, to boot), and is still going on and on and on about it. In the 15 minutes I watched, he and some other reporter repeatedly used unnecessary, alarmist terms such as "deadly outbreak," "widespread," "deadly situation," "rapidly spreading," etc etc. Unbelievable. It's no wonder people are freaking out about this. I guess Fox thinks their ratings are more important than not causing an unnecessary panic among its viewers.
Do you even know that Federal officials today declared a public health emergency involving human swine flu, warning Americans to prepare for widespread outbreaks now or in the future, yet urging them not to panic.

Just because the administration has decided to do nothing at all to stop it from coming into the country (only 20 cases so far) doesn't mean it doesn't see this as a public health emergency.

So the Obama administration is being alarmists and using terms like "public health emergency" casually you think?

Old 04-27-2009, 12:51 AM

1,224 posts, read 1,284,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
One of the things I've noticed, is while they pay less personal taxes then most of us, they seem to whine louder in Texas. No state income tax, no property tax........give me that back and I would gladly pay a few dollars more in federal taxes (or take less of a refund).
"They" might pay fewer personal taxes because "they" are fiscally responsible. Texas has a law mandating a balanced budget. Period. Maybe Texas should be a model for other states, like California, for example.

As for property taxes, your ignorance is overwhelming.

Old 04-27-2009, 01:18 AM

48,505 posts, read 96,582,961 times
That is eactly why after taking the federal unemployent tax that many states will be whining that their taxes are raised to pay of it in the outgoing years.The Catch 22 of taking stimulus money is the state tax payers wil be responsible to contimue the federal guidelines and raise taxes to do it.The feds are in reality rewriting your state laws.Think your taxed how;just wait.

Old 04-27-2009, 02:27 AM

242 posts, read 1,184,556 times
Default Uh-Oh, No Vaccine for the Pres.

Yeap, if you people recall, Mr. President Obama was down in MEXICO. THE fake flu hoax was supposedly to stuck on April 13, 2009 and Mr. President Obama was there on April 16, 2009. Mr. Obama was greeted with Mr. Felipe Solis ( spelling of last name) he a and he was next to President Obama. Supposedly this Mr. Solis died the following day from symptoms similuar to flu, according to the REFORMA NEWSPAPER. But the newspaper did not actually say if he has swine flu or not. BUT MR PRESIDENT OBAMA CAME HOME< he did not get a VACCINE, he did not get sicki and his family didnt get sick. NO ONE IN THE WHITE HOUSE got sick or DIED. IT IS SO OBVIOUS they playng their HOAX on you again. And you know Donald Rumsfeld has all that money invested in the TAMIFLU. and you do know that they have WEAPONIZED BIRD FLU in China, I read about that last year. 30 MILLION VACCINES are WEAPONIZED with all sorts of toxic chemcials and live viruses. DO NOT TAKE THEM, they are in this building in PENNSYLVANIA being stored. IT YOU GET THEM, death will surly come your way. WEAPONIZED BIRD FLU VACCINES. OBAMA NOT SICK, OBAMA NOT PASSED NOTHING because it is another HOAX.

Old 04-27-2009, 02:55 AM

3,018 posts, read 3,553,016 times
Your link doesn't work but its an interesting question.

Old 04-27-2009, 06:00 AM

24,361 posts, read 22,935,890 times
I wouldn't really worry about this swine flu. And its happening right now is a little odd coincidence. I'll worry about tuberculosis, hepatitus, drug resistant staph, HIV, etc. that is coming into the country from unscreened illegals.
It's just something to sells newspapers, or get cable news some ratings I guess nowadays since nobody reads the paper anymore( except me).

Old 04-27-2009, 06:21 AM

424 posts, read 1,671,179 times
Default It could be

It would not serve any point for ME to speculate on that, but if you put your conspiracy hat on you could arrive at any number of conclusions.

1. If it was genetically maniuplated, it could be have been done as an experiment to see how quickly public health resources to adapt to the challenge or as a method to determine how quickly it would spread since existing immunity of the public is limited and getting a vaccine ready takes time. Remember, a recent vaccine that was prepared AND released was actually contaminated with avian flu or some other strain.

2. Some specualte that the whole influenza scare could be an excuse to push a lockdown on the land borders or even to militarize them...a final response to claims that porous borders contribute to more problems than just crime, cultural issues, etc. From the other side there would be resistance to tougher border enforcement because it would be inhumane or there would be the assertion that any undocumented immigrants that crossed the land borders were not breaking any laws once they got here (ignoring the fact that they broke an initial law by crossing the border without permission). Also this could be a smokescreen for controlling the movement of population within the borders of the country as well as controlling access to those who wish to enter or leave legally, all in the interest of public welfare. It might start off innocently enough by suggesting people not gather in public, or travel, or attend school or church. Yes, cutting down on exposure to others reduces the impact of disease vectors, but you are also getting the public accustomed to following instructions on where and when to travel.

3. Then you have those who think the flu situation is just another in a set of events used to desensitize the population by periodically ratchetting up the frequency, nature, duration, and severity of stress events. Disease, war, economic pressure, declining confidence in public officials, pressure on previously normal values, shrill attacks by all sorts of self-declared experts of all political stripes, etc. just make the public either withdraw or immune to important issues, or worse yet makes some snap. Add the fact that media forces attention away from real issues with such pablum as "Dancing with the Stars", "Entertainment Tonight", "American Idol", "Survivor", etc., as well as apologist news or news outlets that have a political agenda and you will have a public that is ill-informed and incapable or unwilling to see the truth.

4. So if you have an ignorant or desensitized population, you can contol them more easilly. You make the population want, no DEMAND, action to protect them, which is exactly what the ones who pull the strings would want. It is so much easier to get the populace to do your bidding for you when you make them think it was their idea to act in the first place. What better tool for action is there than panic caused by the spread of disease? So you might make the public insist on receiving vaccination or other medical treatment as a preventive to the threat of infection. Now certain conspiracy folks would say that this is a step in getting the population accustomed to regimentation...following the orders of government...to make them take action or do things which under normal circumstances they would resist. Once you get them to do if the first tiem, each successive time is easier. Once the public sees how you saved them from this calamity, they will trust you again and again. Worse yet they will then see you as their ultimate savior and be beholden to you. When government or any other entity regulates or controls your healthcare they control your life. An even more insidious aspect put forth by some conspiracy-minded folks would have that this "panic" event is the first in a series of steps to get people willing to accept unique identifiers placed IN every citizen for ease of medical or other identification... including criminal tracking, lost child identification, immigrant tracking, etc. It would be much easier to introduce radio frequency identification devices (RFID) into the population en masse as part of a massive disease scare and subsequent need for medical action. Some speculate that such a system has been planned for quite some time, just waiting for the right trigger event to put it in place.

5. Indeed, there has been so much going on with "missing" killer influenza virus samples from labs around the world and the fact that all sort of entities (governments, terrorist organizations, etc.) have the capability and desire to create bioweapons or treatments for them regardless of being signatories to treaties. Rogue nations and "action" groups care nothing for world opinion, treaties, or other such fetters. On top of that, sometimes bad things happen as a result of medical experimentation and disease research. Hopefully such an event did not cause this influenza strain to come about. Remember we've already been introduced to fear of disease from such exotic things as anthrax, West Nile virus, Ebola, Hanta, SARS, Avian influenza, and other diseases that were not really much of an issue a decade ago. Maybe they should have been, but they were not.

So is the real problem the disease itself and the impact it will have on the health of populations or the actions that will be taken by others to deal with the disease threat. The disease itself could come in waves...the first wave might be fairly mild...it might appear to be over with some loss of life. Then other waves could come of the same strain or one that has mutated further...this time it might affect a larger population or one that has been weakened by earlier attacks. Any of the waves could set the stage for complications by other forms of illness in a weakened population. In panic, certain sectors of the population might be unavailable in sectors such as medical care, fire and police response, food delivery, etc. Blood supplies for critical surgery would be at risk since donors would be in short supply. The whole thing could be used as a stage for power grabs, suspension of civil liberties, mandatory (and possibly clandestine) tagging/identification of the population, etc. anywhere. If you ARE conspiracy-minded or think this whole thing is odd, you might want to think just beyond the disease itself and consider the ramification of actions that could be taken in the name of dealing WITH the disease.

You asked a simple question, but maybe the answer or issues related to it are not so simple. I hope the disease explanation is one of simple evolution and mutation rather than one of human intervention. I hope that those who see conspiracy behind every tree are wrong. I hope that those who have authority to deal with such problems indeed are not being manipulated by sinister forces or those with hidden agenda. And lastly, I hope this situation does NOT lead to something even worse and that negative impact is minimal and brief. And no, I am not wearing a hat made of aluminum foil.

Old 04-27-2009, 06:27 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,871,041 times
Vaccines, if we had them against the new strain of influenza, which we don't, are completely ineffective AFTER exposure. They prevent influenza, they neither treat it nor cure it.

Old 04-27-2009, 06:38 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,861,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post

So the Obama administration is being alarmists and using terms like "public health emergency" casually you think?
You're the one choosing to be alarmist. Declaring a "public health emergency" isn't alarmist, it's a preventative measure. It's just like when states ask for federal disaster assistance before a hurricane hits so they can be prepared for it. Making a declaration of public health emergency simply frees up funds and a stash of antibiotics that are kept in reserve for situations like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies