Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 07:38 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,032,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
You'd have been more impressed if he'd used index cards? When are you folks going to get with the technology? Whenever you have prepared remarks to deliver, it's only common sense to put them on a prompter. Obviously, you wouldn't have expected President Internets to recognize this -- the mechanical pencil was above his techno-paygrade -- but it's a new day and a new and techno-savvy generation of leaders. Some of you have a desperate need to catch up with the times...
Wow. You sound like a 13 yr old girl in love with an older boy. Ewwww.

I thought nobody could surpass John Edwards as the most fake pol. Now, I'd say that Obama is just as bad. Both creep me out.

But, enjoy your tingle while it lasts. It won't last much longer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2009, 07:50 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,147,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
What they should be asking - about his out of control spending, his flip-flops on wiretapping, his bow&grovel tour of the world - a multitude of questions that could have been asked.
Why? YOU think the most important issue in the world is the use of a teleprompter and YOU have already decided Obama is a failure because he uses one. The End.

No other question , no other answer, would have any meaning for you.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:05 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,476,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
What they should be asking - about his out of control spending, his flip-flops on wiretapping, his bow&grovel tour of the world - a multitude of questions that could have been asked.
There was broad-based agreement on the need for a big and quick economic stimulus package. There is broad-based agreement that significant steps may need to be taken with regard to the swine flu situation. TARP money is Bush money that Obama has applied more controls to, not less. The omnibus spending bill (i.e., the FY2009 budget) with its roughly 8% increase over prior year funding levels set a $410 billion limit in place of the $380 billion or so that was established by the CR. The FY2010 budget if no more than flat-lined for inflation and population growth would have been about $3.3 trillion. The idea that spending is somehow "out of control" is Tea Party talk straight from the Mad Hatter.

The administration's stance on wiretapping continues to be that it is legal under specified circumstances. The administration's position on warrantless wiretapping continues to that it is legal under specified circumstances. The administration's position on illegal warrantless wiretapping continues to be that it is illegal. That's a change from Bush's views on the matter.

His predecessor left as his legacy a disastrous war, a disastrous economy, and badly deteriorated relationships with most of the community of nations. In barely 100 days, Obama has made huge strides in mending fences, in restoring partnerships, and in establishing new avenues for international cooperation. Right-wingers complain about this.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:09 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,476,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omle View Post
Wow. You sound like a 13 yr old girl in love with an older boy. Ewwww. I thought nobody could surpass John Edwards as the most fake pol. Now, I'd say that Obama is just as bad. Both creep me out. But, enjoy your tingle while it lasts. It won't last much longer.
Boy, great answer. It had a good beat. I could dance to it.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:19 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,639,213 times
Very well done. Controlled and orchestrated. Insipid and ineffectual. The media appeared wholly tuned-out, stoned, mesmerized. Have never seen them so compliant, so quiet, so......vacuous.

Old 04-30-2009, 10:42 AM

1,357 posts, read 5,866,824 times
Quote:
You'd have been more impressed if he'd used index cards? When are you folks going to get with the technology? Whenever you have prepared remarks to deliver, it's only common sense to put them on a prompter. Obviously, you wouldn't have expected President Internets to recognize this -- the mechanical pencil was above his techno-paygrade -- but it's a new day and a new and techno-savvy generation of leaders. Some of you have a desperate need to catch up with the times...
Actually, yes. Index cards have just enough room for quick notes. A teleprompter lets you read word for word. The difference is that index cards therefore force a certain level of preparedness because you have to know the material, not read it as it's fed to you.

Obama has all but proven, numerous times, he is decidedly not prepared by getting absolutely lost due to teleprompter mishaps. He's using that prompter as a crutch and quite frankly, I don't find him to be any better of a speaker, off the cuff, than Dubya was.

Old 04-30-2009, 10:53 AM

1,357 posts, read 5,866,824 times
Quote:
There was broad-based agreement on the need for a big and quick economic stimulus package. There is broad-based agreement that significant steps may need to be taken with regard to the swine flu situation. TARP money is Bush money that Obama has applied more controls to, not less. The omnibus spending bill (i.e., the FY2009 budget) with its roughly 8% increase over prior year funding levels set a $410 billion limit in place of the $380 billion or so that was established by the CR. The FY2010 budget if no more than flat-lined for inflation and population growth would have been about $3.3 trillion. The idea that spending is somehow "out of control" is Tea Party talk straight from the Mad Hatter.

The administration's stance on wiretapping continues to be that it is legal under specified circumstances. The administration's position on warrantless wiretapping continues to that it is legal under specified circumstances. The administration's position on illegal warrantless wiretapping continues to be that it is illegal. That's a change from Bush's views on the matter.

His predecessor left as his legacy a disastrous war, a disastrous economy, and badly deteriorated relationships with most of the community of nations. In barely 100 days, Obama has made huge strides in mending fences, in restoring partnerships, and in establishing new avenues for international cooperation. Right-wingers complain about this.
listen to you. first off the de-stimulus bill passed under obama was 70% directed to healthcare and education reform, things that cost money, not stimulate the economy. certainly not in the short term. second, if they keep preaching how we're so strapped for cash how can they justify any kind of increase at all, let alone 8%. that's double or more what most people get for an annual raise. fiscal responsibility what?

oh and i'f i'm not mistaken, obama was a prominent supporter of TARP, which makes the cost his just as much as Bush or anyone else who championed it and voted in favor of it.

not to mention the roots of the ill economy and the real estate bubble date back to clinton years, not that bush did anything to help it. the democratic house and senate of the last two years sure as hell didn't either. and finally, lots of european news sources didn't have slobbering praise for obama's apology tour. though i heard chavez and castro chuckling all the way out here in wisconsin

Old 04-30-2009, 10:55 AM

2,179 posts, read 6,717,616 times
I was waiting for the following questions last night...

God, what is your favorite color?

Mr. President, do you like sunny days over rainy days?

Mr. Savior, have your daughters played with Bo yet?

Mr. President, do you prefer Coke or Pepsi?

Mr. President, warm weather we're having, no?

Mr. President, if the teleprompter broke down, would you sound as stupid as W?

Mr. President, Fox News is in the room. Shall we tar and feather them for you, or will you do it with your magical powers?

Mr. President, aren't kittens cute?

Mr. Jesus Man, you can make swine flu magically disappear since you are a miracle worker?

Mr. President, do you like Kit Kat's and if so, may I be so humbled to buy you a case of them?

Old 04-30-2009, 11:30 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times
Quote:
There was broad-based agreement on the need for a big and quick economic stimulus package.
No there wasn't.

In order to classify as stimulative, a stimulus bill must stimulate NOW, not two years down the road - which is what obama's does.

It was just an excuse to spend more money we don't have.

Old 04-30-2009, 11:31 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times
Quote:
I was waiting for the following questions last night...

God, what is your favorite color?

Mr. President, do you like sunny days over rainy days?

Mr. Savior, have your daughters played with Bo yet?

Mr. President, do you prefer Coke or Pepsi?

Mr. President, warm weather we're having, no?

Mr. President, if the teleprompter broke down, would you sound as stupid as W?

Mr. President, Fox News is in the room. Shall we tar and feather them for you, or will you do it with your magical powers?

Mr. President, aren't kittens cute?

Mr. Jesus Man, you can make swine flu magically disappear since you are a miracle worker?

Mr. President, do you like Kit Kat's and if so, may I be so humbled to buy you a case of them?
Excellent.

Forgot one;

Can I get you a pillow?

Rub/lick your feet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies