Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 02:01 AM

1,273 posts, read 4,417,827 times

Advertisements

I have a simple question: Why is the pro-abortion agenda such an integral part of the gay agenda?

I have been confused for quite sometime as to why so many in the gay community take a stance in favor of less abortion restrictions and support and align themselves with so many pro-abortion groups.

Examples:
+ The Log Cabin Republican organization takes no formal position on abortion.
+ Most gay groups are closely aligned with EMILY's List, NARAL, and other pro-abortion groups.

I would think that the gay community would try to gain favor with mainstream and religious americans by opposing abortion and favoring more restrictions on abortion. Many in the gay community preach about personal liberty, yet it seems that most of them have no respect for the liberty of the unborn child. I believe that the position that these gay groups have taken further hurts them with mainstream Americans, as most polls show that well over half of Americans favor more restrictions on abortions, over a quarter of Americans believe abortion should not be permitted, and virtually all Americans oppose their tax dollars funding abortions. I think by opposing abortion, or at least offering more diversity in opinion within their community, they could potentially gain enough favor for civil unions or even perhaps marriage.

My personal background: I am opposed to abortion except when it is a threat to the life of the mother. I am opposed to same-sex marriage, but favor reciprocal benefits or civil unions and do not support a federal constitutional ban on same-sex marriage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2009, 02:40 AM

3,018 posts, read 3,565,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by US-Traveller View Post
I would think that the gay community would try to gain favor with mainstream and religious americans...
BWaahahahaha....
Why would you think that?

Old 04-30-2009, 03:42 AM

37,170 posts, read 19,174,827 times
Not "pro-abortion". Pro-Choice.

George W. Bush was strongly pro-choice when he was governor of Texas. Then he smelled the money in the base camps of the so-called "religious right" and became pro-life.

"Pro-choice" is a function of believing in civil liberties and human rights. Try it. You'll like it.

Old 04-30-2009, 06:00 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,782,217 times
I've always wondered why anyone cares about what a woman does with her body.
It's not harming you so.....

Many religious americans don't like gays and lesbians so I think I'll spend my time more constructively by hanging around those who don't have a problem with me simply because I'm a lesbian.
Many religious americans don't like gays because they are pro choice...they just don't like gays simply because they're gay and oh yeah, "it's a sin."

Can you please tell me this "Gay Agenda" you speak of?

I'm a lesbian and I know my gay agenda but it always amazes me when heterosexuals THINK they know the "gay agenda."

Here's my gay agenda:
1) Wake up, brush teeth, wash face
2) Straight iron hair, put on a bit of mascara and eye shadow if I'm feeling pretty
3)Try to gain equal rights under the law-marriage, adoption, etc.
4)Work some place where I can't be fired simply because I'm a lesbian
5) Live in a town/city where I don't fear for my girlfriend and I's safety
6) Make good grades
7)Give $$ to glbt rights groups
8)Walk the dogs.....

I'm sure there's more but I doubt it would line up with your "gay agenda."

Old 04-30-2009, 07:28 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,634,639 times
Whats with the religious rights agenda? After all, it is kinda hard to take people seriously when they espouse the sanctity of life and yet agree with the death penalty. It is hard not to see a certain sanctimonious hypocrisy when people look to the lord as they look down their noses at gays.

Of course, not all religious do these things or believe in those things just as not all gay people are prochoice. But it is a lot easier to hate when you make all encompassing generalizations, isn't it?

Old 04-30-2009, 07:34 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
I've always wondered why anyone cares about what a woman does with her body.
It's not harming you so.....

Many religious americans don't like gays and lesbians so I think I'll spend my time more constructively by hanging around those who don't have a problem with me simply because I'm a lesbian.
Many religious americans don't like gays because they are pro choice...they just don't like gays simply because they're gay and oh yeah, "it's a sin."

Can you please tell me this "Gay Agenda" you speak of?

I'm a lesbian and I know my gay agenda but it always amazes me when heterosexuals THINK they know the "gay agenda."

Here's my gay agenda:
1) Wake up, brush teeth, wash face
2) Straight iron hair, put on a bit of mascara and eye shadow if I'm feeling pretty
3)Try to gain equal rights under the law-marriage, adoption, etc.
4)Work some place where I can't be fired simply because I'm a lesbian
5) Live in a town/city where I don't fear for my girlfriend and I's safety
6) Make good grades
7)Give $$ to glbt rights groups
8)Walk the dogs.....

I'm sure there's more but I doubt it would line up with your "gay agenda."

It's not her body. If it were it would have the same DNA but it doesn't. It has different DNA from the father as well because it isn't his body either. It is a unique human being. That you feel it is not a life worth preserving doesn't change the fact that it is a unique person.

No, it does not harm me directly if you kill your child. But neither does many other things people I don't know do to other people. I don't accept that any person is given the right to end another's life. If someone is convicted of a terrible crime like murder, and if they've been given due process, I believe they have given up their right to life. A fetus has not had the opportunity to commit such a crime.

The same Supreme Court that concluded a fetus is a human but not a person is the same Court that decided Africans Slaves were also not persons and could be held in captivity, forced to work without pay and traded like any other commodity. Now we harvest embryos for medical research. So what's the difference? The argument for abortion are the same ones used for the T-4 program not many years ago. We all know how that turned out.

I agree that you should not have your rights denied because you are gay. I wish the left would exstend the same tolerance to my niece. She is now 17 and finishing her junior year of high school. She gets almost all "A"s on her report cards and is the president of her school's honor society. She wants to attend the U of M Ann Arbor with the intention of becoming a RN. She also is pro-life and may have to give up all her plans because BHO is planning on taking away the freedom of conscience protections that have been around for the past thirty years. So much for tolerance.

I also agree that religious folks tend to be intolerant of gays. Muslims more so than others I would say. I don't know of any other religions that promote killing gays. Christ was harassed for hanging out with prostitutes and tax collectors. If Jesus didn't reject those people, who are any of us to reject others? I love the account of the adulterous woman who was about to be stoned when the Lord said "let he who is without sin cast the first stone" then proceeded to start writing the would be executioners sins in the dirt until they all decided to leave. I attend a church that is open to everyone regardless of where they are in their spiritual journey. I like it for that reason. A lot of other people feel the same way since we just had to add a third service to get everyone in.

Metro South Church - Home

Old 04-30-2009, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
It's not her body. If it were it would have the same DNA but it doesn't. It has different DNA from the father as well because it isn't his body either. It is a unique human being. That you feel it is not a life worth preserving doesn't change the fact that it is a unique person.

No, it does not harm me directly if you kill your child. But neither does many other things people I don't know do to other people. I don't accept that any person is given the right to end another's life. If someone is convicted of a terrible crime like murder, and if they've been given due process, I believe they have given up their right to life. A fetus has not had the opportunity to commit such a crime.

The same Supreme Court that concluded a fetus is a human but not a person is the same Court that decided Africans Slaves were also not persons and could be held in captivity, forced to work without pay and traded like any other commodity. Now we harvest embryos for medical research. So what's the difference? The argument for abortion are the same ones used for the T-4 program not many years ago. We all know how that turned out.

I agree that you should not have your rights denied because you are gay. I wish the left would exstend the same tolerance to my niece. She is now 17 and finishing her junior year of high school. She gets almost all "A"s on her report cards and is the president of her school's honor society. She wants to attend the U of M Ann Arbor with the intention of becoming a RN. She also is pro-life and may have to give up all her plans because BHO is planning on taking away the freedom of conscience protections that have been around for the past thirty years. So much for tolerance.

I also agree that religious folks tend to be intolerant of gays. Muslims more so than others I would say. I don't know of any other religions that promote killing gays. Christ was harassed for hanging out with prostitutes and tax collectors. If Jesus didn't reject those people, who are any of us to reject others? I love the account of the adulterous woman who was about to be stoned when the Lord said "let he who is without sin cast the first stone" then proceeded to start writing the would be executioners sins in the dirt until they all decided to leave. I attend a church that is open to everyone regardless of where they are in their spiritual journey. I like it for that reason. A lot of other people feel the same way since we just had to add a third service to get everyone in.

Metro South Church - Home
If she is so anti-choice, why not work at a Catholic hospital or open up a hospital where only Christians can be admitted?
I hardly think a sack of cells at 10 weeks is a human being and that's me.
I'd personally like to see more time spent on preventing unwanted pregnancies than harping on abortion.

Old 04-30-2009, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Whats with the religious rights agenda? After all, it is kinda hard to take people seriously when they espouse the sanctity of life and yet agree with the death penalty. It is hard not to see a certain sanctimonious hypocrisy when people look to the lord as they look down their noses at gays.

Of course, not all religious do these things or believe in those things just as not all gay people are prochoice. But it is a lot easier to hate when you make all encompassing generalizations, isn't it?

Bingo!
Or Christians who advocate torture.
Christians who drive SUVS....you do more harm to a fetus that way by contributing to poor air quality and putting toxins in the air...

The list could go on and on.

Old 04-30-2009, 09:44 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,453,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
If she is so anti-choice, why not work at a Catholic hospital or open up a hospital where only Christians can be admitted?
I hardly think a sack of cells at 10 weeks is a human being and that's me.
I'd personally like to see more time spent on preventing unwanted pregnancies than harping on abortion.
You refuse to even call her pro-life, which indicates a clear bias. You make everything about no responsibility and no personal accountability to justify mass killings. There are plenty of non-Christians who are pro-life as well.

Old 04-30-2009, 09:46 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,453,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post

I am pro-life yet fully agree with the part of your post I bolded.

As to the DP, I am against it. It's wrong to kill no matter what. I was/am also against Iraq...though I do support wars if they are absolutely necessary - including Afghanistan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies