U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2009, 12:30 PM

18,755 posts, read 12,082,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeeee22895 View Post
I've already proven in an earlier thread (inexplicably merged with another) why an embryo is scientifically a living human being beyond the shadow of a doubt. (I reposted it in post #10 on this thread).

Now let's apply a simple golden rule test to abortion.

I'm sure we all agree that the person most affected by an action should be the one making decisions pertaining to it.

In the case of abortion, that would be the child. OK, since a fetus cannot decide for itself whether it should live or die at the hands of an abortion doctor, the only fair thing to do is pose a simple question to 1000 random individuals:

"Are you glad you are born, or do you wish you had been aborted?"

Obvioulsy in a random sample, the prohibitive majority would say "I'm glad I was born. I am happy to be alive." Probably 980 to 990 out of 1000 would say that. (This allows for the 1.3% suicide rate). So, since the average person is overwhelmingly likely to be glad he was born, WHO THE HELL IS ANYONE TO MAKE THE DECISION TO KILL A FETUS BEFORE IT IS BORN?

It's a simple matter of applying the golden rule. If you wouldn't have chosen death for yourself, how could you choose it for somebody else?
You forgot to ask if they felt their mother felt they or a twin sibling were an inconvenience to her when they were a young child or teenager, should she have the choice to kill them? Or is it okay to kill their twin sibling before they were old enough to have remembered them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2009, 12:33 PM

7,450 posts, read 5,236,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
You forgot to ask if they felt their mother felt they or a twin sibling were an inconvenience to her when they were a young child or teenager, should she have the choice to kill them? Or is it okay to kill their twin sibling before they were old enough to have remembered them?

Problem with this is (i assume) that you are speaking of already born children.

If this is the case, then they can simply be passed onto the foster care system.

Fetuses cannot be passed on.

Old 04-30-2009, 12:38 PM

37,225 posts, read 20,977,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I don't disagree with you. Believe it or not, the idea of choice is not so much of an issue for me as the persistance of those that hide under the veil of "choice" as a means for absolving themselves of the personal responsibility and consequences that come from their actions.
In your world, who has sex?

Only people who want to have children, or women who've had complete hysterectomies? Not married couples who want to wait to have children. Not women who've had tubal ligations (that will reduce your chances, but it won't negate them), not men who've had vasectomies (that will reduce your chances, but it won't negate them), not people using birth control (that will reduce your chances, but it won't negate them). If someone actually does slip up (that darn sex drive!) and have an unwanted pregnancy, should we compel the woman to wear a chastity belt from then on. And what do we do to the men--bobbitize them?

Do you acknowledge that some people who are responsible, who use birth control, and who are moral, reasonable people can sometimes have an unwanted pregnancy and compelling reasons why they cannot go through with that pregnancy? Does that ever happen?

Old 04-30-2009, 12:41 PM

5,032 posts, read 5,144,547 times
Quote:
I don't disagree with you. Believe it or not, the idea of choice is not so much of an issue for me as is the persistance of those that hide under the veil of "choice" as a means for absolving themselves of the personal responsibility and consequences that come from their actions.
Who's hiding from the consequences, Aero? The consequences for a pregnant woman are these: either she decides to carry the baby or she gets an abortion. There. Settled. Consequences happen either way.

You seem to believe that you get to dictate the consequences to other people.

Old 04-30-2009, 12:43 PM

41,359 posts, read 46,282,413 times
If you are male then I suggest you just shut about something you obviously know nothing. If you have any respect for the concept of individuality you would not force anyone to do anything with their body they did not want to do. If a person cannot control what is happening with their body because somebody else can tell them what they have to do then the basic concept of freedom becomes a sham.

I believe the purpose of your argument is not to protect unborn fetuses but to create a permanent domination by males over the female half of the human race. Using the plight of the fetus is just a means to your tyrannical end. Begone!

Old 04-30-2009, 12:51 PM

47,671 posts, read 33,646,792 times
Quote:
Give me a break. Of course there have been conservatives that have had abortions on an individual level. But on a nationwide-policy level, it is indeed the liberals who continue to push the pro-abortion agenda.

On a nationwide level it's the NeoConfused who are apparently inacapable of understanding ProChoice IS NOT pro-abortion and who happily, hypocritically abandon their 'less government' stance when more government involvement suits their self-righteous agenda.

Old 04-30-2009, 12:52 PM

23,852 posts, read 17,807,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
Who's hiding from the consequences, Aero? The consequences for a pregnant woman are these: either she decides to carry the baby or she gets an abortion. There. Settled. Consequences happen either way.

You seem to believe that you get to dictate the consequences to other people.
I'm not dictating anything. I'm simply saying that there is not a man or woman on Earth that didn't know that before they engaged in sexual activity, that the possibility was there for pregnancy. It is incumbant upon those persons to take responsibility for their actions should that occur.

Why is that such a hard concept to understand?

Old 04-30-2009, 12:53 PM

23,852 posts, read 17,807,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
On a nationwide level it's the NeoConfused who are apparently inacapable of understanding ProChoice IS NOT pro-abortion and who happily, hypocritically abandon their 'less government' stance when more government involvement suits their self-righteous agenda.

I'll say it again. Believe it or not, the idea of choice is not so much of an issue for me as is the persistance of those that hide under the veil of "choice" as a means for absolving themselves of the personal responsibility and consequences that come from their actions.

Old 04-30-2009, 12:53 PM

47,671 posts, read 33,646,792 times
Quote:
Of course none of those women (and men) should have thought of that before creating another human.

Once again, the liberal pro-abortion agenda is nothing but an attempt to relieve individuals of responsibility for their actions, as proven by your statistics above.

Who do you propose accept responsibility for children conceived due to failed birth control, NO method of which is 100% effective?

Old 04-30-2009, 12:56 PM

7,450 posts, read 5,236,674 times
Quote:
I'm not dictating anything. I'm simply saying that there is not a man or woman on Earth that didn't know that before they engaged in sexual activity, that the possibility was there for pregnancy. It is incumbant upon those persons to take responsibility for their actions should that occur.

Why is that such a hard concept to understand?

And I believe that abortion is a responsible choice for their actions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies