Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2009, 10:51 PM

2,600 posts, read 2,323,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
I am interested in just how many anti-abortionist shop at Walmart. I know what does that have to do with anything?

If you shop at Walmart, you pay for abortions. Most of the products sold by Walmart are made in China. All industry in China is the property of the government. All proceeds from Chinese products go to the Chinese government who in turn uses the money to pay for, among other things, government imposed abortions. So if you are really serious about stopping abortions...maybe you should stop shopping at Walmart. It is a choice.
Here are some statistics:
Chinese abortion rate Historical abortion statistics, PR China
U.S. abortion rate
U.S. Abortion Rate Continues Long-Term Decline, Falling to Lowest Level Since 1974; More Effort Still Needed to Reduce Unintended Pregnancy

don't you think we should clean up our own backyard, before trying to tell some other country what to do? you sound like a neocon. do as I say, not as I do????

Contraceptives work for those promiscuous men and women, I would support a Government funded program to reduce unwanted births with contraception as an alternate answer to abortion, except where rape or incest is involved. Women DO have the right to choose, it is their life, they have to live with whatever they decide to do, not we as the general population.

Old 05-15-2009, 05:04 AM

185 posts, read 108,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Except it's the woman's body - even the day before the child would otherwise be born. She owns it and must be permitted to kill it if she so chooses. It's an absolute right. Everyone who dare suggests otherwise is a sexist and hates women.
Wow. Another liberal comment from our favorite "conservative". LOL.

Sorry, but it's the fetus' body that is in question. That supercedes any selfish desire of the woman. In other words, sorry, women. It ain't about you.

Old 05-15-2009, 05:39 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,452,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weegie View Post

Sorry, but it's the fetus' body that is in question. That supercedes any selfish desire of the woman. In other words, sorry, women. It ain't about you.
Ever hear of sarcasm?

I assumed the comment was so outlandish that you'd pick up on it.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:06 AM

68,326 posts, read 54,344,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Nope. We were talking about the day before it would otherwise be born. You cannot argue that an abortion at that point would ever be acceptable except in a life-threatening situation. A third trimester fetus is very different from a fertilized egg.
I've NEVER argued for allowing third-trimester abortions other than in life-threatening situations.

But until somebody PROVES differently will continue to believe a 'human being' does not exist in early pregnancy and abortion should continue to be a legal, personal, medical decision.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:11 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,140,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeeee22895 View Post
I've already proven in an earlier thread (inexplicably merged with another) why an embryo is scientifically a living human being beyond the shadow of a doubt. (I reposted it in post #10 on this thread).

Now let's apply a simple golden rule test to abortion.

I'm sure we all agree that the person most affected by an action should be the one making decisions pertaining to it.

In the case of abortion, that would be the child. OK, since a fetus cannot decide for itself whether it should live or die at the hands of an abortion doctor, the only fair thing to do is pose a simple question to 1000 random individuals:

"Are you glad you are born, or do you wish you had been aborted?"

Obvioulsy in a random sample, the prohibitive majority would say "I'm glad I was born. I am happy to be alive." Probably 980 to 990 out of 1000 would say that. (This allows for the 1.3% suicide rate). So, since the average person is overwhelmingly likely to be glad he was born, WHO THE HELL IS ANYONE TO MAKE THE DECISION TO KILL A FETUS BEFORE IT IS BORN?

It's a simple matter of applying the golden rule. If you wouldn't have chosen death for yourself, how could you choose it for somebody else?
If you wouldn't have chosen torture for yourself, how could you choose it for somebody else?

Old 05-16-2009, 12:00 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,849,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
We can find DNA in many different cells, that DOES NOT make those cells human beings.

A fingernail is 'human', it IS NOT a human being.

Did you have a point to make?
The fingernail contains human DNA. It is the same DNA as the person the fingernail is attached to or was attached to. It is not a separate human life. Unlike a fingernail (or a tumor or an appendix), the DNA of the unborn child is not the same as the mother or the father. It is distinct human DNA. Therefore, killing it is ending a distinct human life.

Old 05-17-2009, 03:46 PM

5 posts, read 8,086 times
Default Demo's were the biggest crybabies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Yes sounds like we have lots of definitons that are more flexible than yours.

This is a Democracy. You don't get to pout and cry till you get your way. Go win an election if you want to impose your morality on us.

Or you could move to Afghanistan and join the Taliban. They seek to impose their religious extremism on the majority of the Country.
Yes, this a Democracy and people who thought nothing of killing the unborn, whined, cried, threatened and God knows what else till they finally got their way with the Roe Vs Wade decision (with the help of a very liberal supreme court..... which is why everyone should vote), I think in 1973. I believe that's about 33 years.......... and the arguments still rage.

In fact, Ms. Roe was actually; Norma McCorvey.
Now according to ("World News Tonight," 8/10/95), hardly a Right Wing PRO-LIFE news outlet quoted Norma McCorvey, "Abortion has been founded on lies and deception from the very beginning. All I did was lie about how I got pregnant. I was having an affair. It all started out as a little lie. I said what I needed to say. But, my little lie grew and grew and became more horrible with each telling. Sarah and Linda's (the pro-abortion attorneys in Roe) eyes seemed blinded to my obvious inability to tell the same story twice. It was good for the cause. It read well in the newspapers. With the help of willing media the credibility of well-known columnists, the lie became known as the truth these past 25 years."

And here we are 33 years later with a VERY WELL GROUNDED columnists and TV stations...... propagating the same crap.

If it's not alive then leave it alone....... It's very simple, it's living.

Old 05-17-2009, 04:56 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,006,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weegie View Post

sorry a fetus does not supercede the "selfish" desires of the woman. her body her choice. just because you wish that were different does not make it so. you think it is murder fine by me, abortion is a right for a woman her reasons are private and none of your business.

Old 05-17-2009, 05:24 PM

68,326 posts, read 54,344,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusnh View Post
The fingernail contains human DNA. It is the same DNA as the person the fingernail is attached to or was attached to. It is not a separate human life. Unlike a fingernail (or a tumor or an appendix), the DNA of the unborn child is not the same as the mother or the father. It is distinct human DNA. Therefore, killing it is ending a distinct human life.

NOT TRUE! Eliminating a distinct DNA profile IS NOT the same as ending n life. A fertilized egg has a unique DNA profile, it IS NOT a human being.

Last edited by burdell; 05-17-2009 at 06:00 PM..

Old 05-17-2009, 05:47 PM

399 posts, read 554,179 times
Taking away abortion is taking away a woman's right.
Taking away abortion isn't going to solve anything. It will just make "illegal" abortions go up by like 900%.
It's an economical decision to make abortions legal.

In a perfect world we wouldn't have starvation, AIDS, other cancers, or abortions. We would live a descent life. But we do Not live in a perfect world, so certain moral conduct has to be sacrificed. Sadly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.