U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-30-2009, 01:12 PM
 
Location: Virginia Beach
7,450 posts, read 5,235,178 times
Reputation: 2164

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
This is a revolving door. The pro-abortion types favor abortion because it gives them a "legal" reason to absolve themselves of responsibility for their actions . The pro-life types, like me, believe that should you have an unwanted pregnancy, step up to the plate and be accountable for your actions. Sure there are accidents, mistakes, etc. But there are accidents, mistakes, etc. in every facet of life. If we drive drunk and kill someone, one could rationalize that it was an accident, not premeditated. Do we then absolve the person of their responsibility? Of course not. It is troublesome, to me, that we as humans expect accountability out of everyone but ourselves. And its truly unfortunate that when it comes to bringing another human into this world, that personal responsibility is virtually non-existent simply because it happened at an inconvenient time.

A question.

If you get into a car accident, do you seek medical treatment afterwards?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-30-2009, 01:15 PM
 
23,852 posts, read 17,802,648 times
Reputation: 9359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langlen View Post
A question.

If you get into a car accident, do you seek medical treatment afterwards?
That's a fairly ambiguous question, but for the sake of argument, sure why not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2009, 01:17 PM
 
Location: Virginia Beach
7,450 posts, read 5,235,178 times
Reputation: 2164
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
That's a fairly ambiguous question, but for the sake of argument, sure why not?
Do you consider it responsible to get medical treatment after this car accident, so as to not aggravate any further injuries to yourself that may impede your future?

Despite the fact that you knew the risks of getting behind the wheel of the car?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2009, 01:31 PM
 
23,852 posts, read 17,802,648 times
Reputation: 9359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langlen View Post
Do you consider it responsible to get medical treatment after this car accident, so as to not aggravate any further injuries to yourself that may impede your future?

Despite the fact that you knew the risks of getting behind the wheel of the car?
Sure I would. I understand the point you're making but this is an apples an oranges comparison though. There is a personal responsibility component in creating, and then destroying, another human life that is absent in choosing whether to drive a car or not.

Many of you probably have not noticed that I have not interjected a religious component into this debate. Although I am a Christian, my only argument is that people should think more about their actions, and step up to the plate and take responsibility for unintended consequences. If abortion is your answer to "personal responsibility", so be it. That's the point where I have a religious obligation to defend those that can't defend themselves, which is the subject of a whole new thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2009, 01:35 PM
 
Location: Virginia Beach
7,450 posts, read 5,235,178 times
Reputation: 2164
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Sure I would. I understand the point you're making but this is an apples an oranges comparison though. There is a personal responsibility component in creating, and then destroying, another human life that is absent in choosing whether to drive a car or not.
The question is whether or not that human life carries more weight than currently existing life.

And there really is no right answer to that question.

Again: I respect your views, I just disagree with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2009, 01:37 PM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ
3,089 posts, read 4,315,674 times
Reputation: 1595
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
I love this argument about how ALL human life is important from the second of conception.
If this is the case why do Doctors regularly give patients dying frrom Cancer Etc. lethal cocktails to help them on their way?
Before you say this doesn't happen, i can assure you that it does. I have seen it done myself but there is a unwriten code that stops anyone from blowing the whistle on this practice.
As there should be (unwritten code). . . the ruling principal should be not "life", at any cost, but "compassion" at any cost. . . . just my 2 cents worth!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2009, 01:38 PM
 
37,225 posts, read 20,969,839 times
Reputation: 11354
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
This is a revolving door. The pro-abortion types favor abortion because it gives them a "legal" reason to absolve themselves of responsibility for their actions . The pro-life types, like me, believe that should you have an unwanted pregnancy, step up to the plate and be accountable for your actions. Sure there are accidents, mistakes, etc. But there are accidents, mistakes, etc. in every facet of life. If we drive drunk and kill someone, one could rationalize that it was an accident, not premeditated. Do we then absolve the person of their responsibility? Of course not. It is troublesome, to me, that we as humans expect accountability out of everyone but ourselves. And its truly unfortunate that when it comes to bringing another human into this world, that personal responsibility is virtually non-existent simply because it happened at an inconvenient time.

I understand the concept of personal responsibility. And if 60% of the woman who have abortions already have children, they probably have a pretty good handle on personal responsibility, as well. Don't you agree?

What it boils down to is that I'm not a pro-abortion type. I don't know what pro-abortion types are like. Most of the people I know are pro-choice. Because while most don't like the idea of abortion, and certainly wouldn't recommend it, they also recognize that women in our society have a disproportionate burden when it comes to pregnancy and child-rearing.

You've said in similar threads how much you help out in the home. You are the exception, not the rule. Women don't earn as much as men, which is why so many single mothers end up in poverty. Look at the statistics. If you're a woman, it can be pretty scary. The safety net of family has shrunk considerably over the last 60 years. Most women don't fall into any safety net when they lose their jobs.

If you want to reduce the number of abortions, then as a society we have to address the reasons women seek abortion as the preferable choice. It really is that simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2009, 01:44 PM
 
1,330 posts, read 904,379 times
Reputation: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
You've proved nothing other than how easily you can bamboozle yourself into believing myth.

Someday maybe you'll learn that "will develop into" is vastly different than "is".
A human embryo "is" a human being
A human embryo "will develop into" an adult human being.

There's your difference, chum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2009, 01:47 PM
 
Location: Virginia Beach
7,450 posts, read 5,235,178 times
Reputation: 2164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeeee22895 View Post
A human embryo "is" a human being
A human embryo "will develop into" an adult human being.

There's your difference, chum
An embryo "is" a human. Being implies sentience. Which is arguable at which stage a fetus gets sentience. But it's generally at the 24 week mark, which in most cases, is the very latest you can legally get an abortion.

Whether or not the embryo will develop into an adult human being, however, is irrelevant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2009, 01:54 PM
 
1,330 posts, read 904,379 times
Reputation: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Its pro choice not pro abortion. Get it right.

Thank God people like you are in the minority. It is the WOMANS right. Too bad you dont agree but thats how it will stay!
Of course pro-choice is the same as pro-abortion, There are only two possible choices. To abort and not to abort. You already have the freedom not to abort. What's left? Abortion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:42 PM.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top