Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2009, 12:47 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,752,379 times

Advertisements

Abortion is the choice of the woman. It is her body and nobody elses. If a person does not have control of their own body, who does? Who owns the woman? Her husband, her lover, her baby, her slaver?

She owns her body. If she does not want to be pregnant for what ever reason she has the right to decide to have an abortion. This is a basic human right.

Old 09-29-2009, 12:50 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,217,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Abortion is the choice of the woman. It is her body and nobody elses. If a person does not have control of their own body, who does? Who owns the woman? Her husband, her lover, her baby, her slaver?

She owns her body. If she does not want to be pregnant for what ever reason she has the right to decide to have an abortion. This is a basic human right.
The basic human right is life. The unborn has that right.

Old 09-29-2009, 12:55 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,637,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
teens in foster care end up there for various reasons. However if their parents gave them fro adoption as infants they would have been adopted
There are people who leave the state's care at 18, never having had a family to call their own since birth. Not adopted. People would rather adopt a Mexican or Colombian or Korean baby.

Old 09-29-2009, 01:03 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,217,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
There are people who leave the state's care at 18, never having had a family to call their own since birth. Not adopted. People would rather adopt a Mexican or Colombian or Korean baby.
Almost 100% of infants put up for adoption are adopted. Nine years olds and up put in foster care at times will never be adopted because people want infants. Foreign adoptions cane be used for many who do not qualify for any other adoption

Old 09-29-2009, 02:33 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,464,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
I have personally been in exactly this type of position.

My pregnant wife was in a coma - and I had to make a decision: Abort the child and save my wife. Or, keep my wife on life supports to allow for more time for the child and lose my wife.

My wife and I had actually had a conversation about "what if" - this type of thing - what if it came up.

And based in part on that conversation, I lost my wife - but have a healthy son.
I'm sorry that you had that decision to make and good for you for stepping up to raise your child, but that was a case of your wife making a choice before she was put in that position. That's the key here - that was her choice. She had a choice between a or b and she chose b. This does not mean that other women should have their choices taken away from them if they choose not to have a child.

Old 09-29-2009, 02:39 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,464,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
Seems to me the most degrading thing a woman could do is sit in stir ups and listen to her unborn brain being sucked out or killed with saline. I do not see anything more degrading to a woman than that.
why can not a responsible father have a say so if his unborn is to live or die?
Maybe the father also does not want the pregnancy to continue?

If you don't see anything more degrading to a woman than that, then you need to get out more.

Old 09-29-2009, 02:51 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,244,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I'm sorry that you had that decision to make and good for you for stepping up to raise your child, but that was a case of your wife making a choice before she was put in that position. That's the key here - that was her choice. She had a choice between a or b and she chose b. This does not mean that other women should have their choices taken away from them if they choose not to have a child.
Let me correct one thing: She did NOT make the choice. It was me who made the choice. We had a discussion about the type of issue but, she did not ever say - "do this" or "do that". The decision - the "choice" was totally in my hands.

And for a little perspective: We had a 4 year old who was at home. We had a 2 year old who was in the car (this was before car seats and seat belts) with his mom driving who was killed instantly when the drunk driver hit our car on the drivers side (doing I was told over 50 MPH) and my wife was left in the coma.

I ended up being a single dad, with a new born and a 4 year old - and a widower.

Old 09-29-2009, 02:55 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,568,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post

Exactly.

I feel that the woman has the right to life before the fetus does. Unless the man and woman decide otherwise, the doctor should always try saving the woman first.

Old 09-29-2009, 02:58 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,244,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
I feel that the woman has the right to life before the fetus does. Unless the man and woman decide otherwise, the doctor should always try saving the woman first.
It is not the Doctors decision to make.

Old 09-29-2009, 03:01 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,568,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
It is not the Doctors decision to make.
If there is no one else around to instruct the doctor, then yes. He should save the women first.

Unless he/she knows what is wanted in the given situation, save the woman first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.