U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 09-29-2009, 03:04 PM
 
Location: Pinal County, Arizona
25,100 posts, read 23,633,185 times
Reputation: 4806
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
If there is no one else around to instruct the doctor, then yes. He should save the women first.

Unless he/she knows what is wanted in the given situation, save the woman first.
LEGALLY, it is NOT the Doctors decision to make. Hence why it is VITAL for everyone to carry on them some sort of "in case of emergency contact" type card / information.

I understand your emotion - but the law does not care about your emotion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-29-2009, 03:06 PM
 
7,365 posts, read 7,609,534 times
Reputation: 10614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Let me correct one thing: She did NOT make the choice. It was me who made the choice. We had a discussion about the type of issue but, she did not ever say - "do this" or "do that". The decision - the "choice" was totally in my hands.

And for a little perspective: We had a 4 year old who was at home. We had a 2 year old who was in the car (this was before car seats and seat belts) with his mom driving who was killed instantly when the drunk driver hit our car on the drivers side (doing I was told over 50 MPH) and my wife was left in the coma.

I ended up being a single dad, with a new born and a 4 year old - and a widower.
Wow. I'm so sorry about your loss. My heart goes out to you and your family.

I'm glad YOU were able to make that decision, taking your wife's concerns into consideration. That is not a decision for the government to make.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2009, 03:20 PM
 
8,745 posts, read 6,543,536 times
Reputation: 3333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
LEGALLY, it is NOT the Doctors decision to make. Hence why it is VITAL for everyone to carry on them some sort of "in case of emergency contact" type card / information.

I understand your emotion - but the law does not care about your emotion.
So then what should the doctor do? Just let the woman die because "it is not his decision to make?"

Not everyone carries an emergency card. And in time of an emergency, there might not BE time to call other people.

Ah, yes. The law does not care about my emotion. Just like they do not care about your emotion regarding abortion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2009, 03:26 PM
 
Location: Pinal County, Arizona
25,100 posts, read 23,633,185 times
Reputation: 4806
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
So then what should the doctor do? Just let the woman die because "it is not his decision to make?"

Not everyone carries an emergency card. And in time of an emergency, there might not BE time to call other people.

Ah, yes. The law does not care about my emotion. Just like they do not care about your emotion regarding abortion.
The law does not recognize emotion. I once had a client (divorce case) who said "doesn't the judge care how badly I FEEL"? I told her no - it had no bearing on her divorce.

Everyone SHOULD CARRY an emergency card - it is not hard.

And, yes, there have been cases when no next of kin can be found and although they tried to stabilize the patient, the patient did die.

It is NOT the Doctors place - not the Doctors decision to make as to who to save.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2009, 03:29 PM
 
Location: um....guess
10,483 posts, read 9,350,180 times
Reputation: 1791
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
Seems to me the most degrading thing a woman could do is sit in stir ups and listen to her unborn brain being sucked out or killed with saline. I do not see anything more degrading to a woman than that.
No, not really actually. You know what's degrading? People telling you what you can & can't do in that situation, people telling you that it's your JOB as a woman to have babies. Now THAT, that is degrading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2009, 03:31 PM
 
Location: Round Rock Texas
3,911 posts, read 2,806,908 times
Reputation: 3872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Let me correct one thing: She did NOT make the choice. It was me who made the choice. We had a discussion about the type of issue but, she did not ever say - "do this" or "do that". The decision - the "choice" was totally in my hands.

And for a little perspective: We had a 4 year old who was at home. We had a 2 year old who was in the car (this was before car seats and seat belts) with his mom driving who was killed instantly when the drunk driver hit our car on the drivers side (doing I was told over 50 MPH) and my wife was left in the coma.

I ended up being a single dad, with a new born and a 4 year old - and a widower.
Reading this is so sad...so, you do have my sympathy. I'm sorry.

You say that you made the choice, but I can only hope that you acted on your wife's wishes - what she would have wanted you to do in such a situation - vs. just choosing the baby's life over hers simply because abortion is wrong.

Not saying this is you, but so many people think that a woman is just this incubator for life, totally forgetting that the woman is a living, breathing, independent being as well whose life should also be considered. It's as if a woman is best known for her childbearing capabilities and that's that. I am not defined by my womb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2009, 03:32 PM
 
8,745 posts, read 6,543,536 times
Reputation: 3333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
The law does not recognize emotion. I once had a client (divorce case) who said "doesn't the judge care how badly I FEEL"? I told her no - it had no bearing on her divorce.

Everyone SHOULD CARRY an emergency card - it is not hard.

And, yes, there have been cases when no next of kin can be found and although they tried to stabilize the patient, the patient did die.

It is NOT the Doctors place - not the Doctors decision to make as to who to save.
Of course. I understand. Especially divorce. But that is not life and death.

It is not hard to carry an emergency card. Lets say there is a bad car accident. Someone had it in their bag or purse. They may not be able to find it in time.

If it was me, I would want them to save me if I was in a life threatening situation. Not just say "Oh it is not my place." What is a doctor supposed to do? If a doctor let me just die because it is not "his place", I hope my husband sues the hell out of them.

What is wrong, Great Day? I thought you were pro life. Yet it is ok to let women die? Or are you only pro life when it comes to the fetus like most prolifers? Illegal immigrants come over here all the time and deliver babies. Doctors help them. Why? Because it is their job to do so. Yet, you are saying they should not help a woman who is a citizen and is in a life threatening situation because it is not "his place".

Get real.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Reading this is so sad...so, you do have my sympathy. I'm sorry.

You say that you made the choice, but I can only hope that you acted on your wife's wishes - what she would have wanted you to do in such a situation - vs. just choosing the baby's life over hers simply because abortion is wrong.

Not saying this is you, but so many people think that a woman is just this incubator for life, totally forgetting that the woman is a living, breathing, independent being as well whose life should also be considered. It's as if a woman is best known for her childbearing capabilities and that's that. I am not defined by my womb.
EXACTLY. I am not defined by my womb. I come first. I am the breathing living person. Not the fetus.

I hope Great Day has acted up on his wifes wishes as well. Otherwise I completely disagree and think very low of people who would let their wives die (who wanted to live) because they think abortion is wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
No, not really actually. You know what's degrading? People telling you what you can & can't do in that situation, people telling you that it's your JOB as a woman to have babies. Now THAT, that is degrading.
EXACTLY. It is very degrading to just think women's sole purpose is to have babies and should just enjoy being pregnant. You know what else is degrading? Thinking that the woman should just die because they are pregnant.

It is 2009 people!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2009, 03:33 PM
 
Location: Round Rock Texas
3,911 posts, read 2,806,908 times
Reputation: 3872
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
No, not really actually. You know what's degrading? People telling you what you can & can't do in that situation, people telling you that it's your JOB as a woman to have babies. Now THAT, that is degrading.
My thoughts exactly. And I had a baby. But that's my choice. I am not an incubator with lipstick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2009, 03:35 PM
 
Location: Arizona High Desert
4,569 posts, read 3,150,646 times
Reputation: 2510
The day that men are able to give birth from their nether regions, they can start telling women what we can do with our bodies. I guess women are safe for awhile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2009, 03:38 PM
 
Location: um....guess
10,483 posts, read 9,350,180 times
Reputation: 1791
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
My thoughts exactly. And I had a baby. But that's my choice. I am not an incubator with lipstick.
LOL, the image you presented made me laugh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top