U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-30-2009, 02:38 PM
 
Location: Virginia Beach
7,450 posts, read 5,232,372 times
Reputation: 2164

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeeee22895 View Post

What are pro-abortion people doing but using their own personal beliefs to tell others how to live? And how do you compromise on abortion? Either you think people should be allowed to execute little humans or you don't. As long as leftwinger believe abortion should be allowed, you can't squawk about prolifers not compromising.
Pro-choicers advocate choice, not abortion.


Quote:
Why do you choose to ignore science and logic? Reread by irrefutable definition in post #10. A woman's being raped is completely irrelevant to the fact that her embryo is a living human being.
Which is irrelevant to whether or not abortion should be allowed.



Quote:
So...your solution is simply to kill the kid in advance? How is THAT a solution. Your compassion is overwhelming. Just hack the child to death before it can be born.
Yes, while you're using appeal to emotion, when you break it down, that's exactly what I'm trying to say.

Quote:
This is nothing but hypocritical double-talk. Of course you're pro-abortion. You want people to be able to have abortions.
No, we want people to be able to have a choice. Pro-abortion takes away the choice of remaining pregnant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-30-2009, 02:39 PM
 
1,330 posts, read 903,484 times
Reputation: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langlen View Post
Do you know me personally?

Do you know the majority of the pro-choice movement personally?

How can you honestly claim that all we want is for women to abort?

I am a father, and a husband. I will stand by my wife through anything. Should she get pregnant, and want an abortion, I will do my best to support her. Should she get pregnant, and want to keep the cihld, I will do my best to support her.

That is all I really care about: for my wife to have the option available to her should the situation arise.
I don't know why this concept is so hard. You already have the option not to abort. You've had it for decades. Centuries. What your fighting for now is abortion. That is what you want kept legal. Abortion is the goal. If it weren't, you wouldn't bother. It's doubletalk to refer to doing nothing as a real choice. It's the default.

It would be like me saying "I want the choice to pay income taxes or not to". Well, I have always had the "choice" to pay it. My real goal in such a statement is to NOT pay income tax. Otherwise, why would I bother making that statement? Calling it 'choice' is putting lipstick on a pig.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2009, 02:40 PM
 
37,215 posts, read 20,956,005 times
Reputation: 11350
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceharvester View Post
Although pregnancy weakens suicidal impulses, there is strong evidence that abortion dramatically increases the risk of suicide. According to a 1986 study by researchers at the University of Minnesota, a teenage girl is 10 times more likely to attempt suicide if she has had an abortion in the last six months than is a comparable teenage girl who has not had an abortion.(2) Other studies have found similar statistical significance between a history of abortion and suicide attempts among adults. Thus, the actual data suggests that abortion is far more likely to drive an unstable woman to suicide than is pregnancy and childbirth.
Abortion and Suicide - David C. Reardon.

This is Dr Reardon's schtick. Practically every pro-life site trying to make a causative link between suicide and abortion cites Reardon.

But he cannot close the case. Because the negative factors in a woman's life that cause her to choose abortion may also cause her to choose suicide. Statistically, and that's important because this is science, Reardon cannot seal the deal on a causative relationship, he can only argue his beliefs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2009, 02:40 PM
 
Location: Virginia Beach
7,450 posts, read 5,232,372 times
Reputation: 2164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeeee22895 View Post
I don't know why this concept is so hard. You already have the option not to abort. You've had it for decades. Centuries. What your fighting for now is abortion. That is what you want kept legal.
And how new do you think abortion is?

The choice has been there since ancient Egypt.

I'm just advocating that the choice remains legal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2009, 02:46 PM
 
Location: The #1 sunshine state, Arizona.
12,172 posts, read 14,209,379 times
Reputation: 63973
What would be wrong would be to take away a woman's right to choose. Nobody WANTS to have an abortion however it's important to have a clean, legal medical proceedure as an option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2009, 02:46 PM
 
Location: Virginia Beach
7,450 posts, read 5,232,372 times
Reputation: 2164
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
What would be wrong would be to take away a woman's right to choose. Nobody WANTS to have an abortion however it's important to have a clean, legal medical proceedure as an option.
Exactly. *nod*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2009, 02:47 PM
 
37,215 posts, read 20,956,005 times
Reputation: 11350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langlen View Post
And how new do you think abortion is?

The choice has been there since ancient Egypt.

I'm just advocating that the choice remains legal.

Not just that the choice remain legal. But that it remain private. Roe v Wade recognizes that a woman's health choices should be as private as a man's health choices.

People opposed to choice fall back on the arguments that the woman making the choice is immoral, irresponsible or just plain stupid. She sleeps around! Make her suffer the penalty! She engaged in a relationship, but didn't ensure that her and his birth control was adequate. Make her suffer the penalty! She was too stupid to understand that sex could lead to pregnancy! Make her suffer!

She gets to suffer, but what about the man?

Pregnancy isn't risk-free. Childbirth isn't risk-free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2009, 02:50 PM
 
1,330 posts, read 903,484 times
Reputation: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langlen View Post
Yes, I am saying such. I never denied that it was human life, just that it has sentience at the point where most abortions are performed.

However, I do not believe that a fetus has the same standing as an already born human.
Where did you get the idea that the developmental stage of "sentience" is the all-important trigger point of "real personhood". Is this something you concocted? Are you 100% sure it's true? If so, how are you sure?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2009, 02:52 PM
 
Location: Virginia Beach
7,450 posts, read 5,232,372 times
Reputation: 2164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeeee22895 View Post
Where did you get the idea that the developmental stage of "sentience" is the all-important trigger point of "real personhood". Is this something you concocted? Are you 100% sure it's true? If so, how are you sure?
Personhood starts whenever you want it to start. It is my personal opinion that personhood starts when sentience begins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2009, 02:55 PM
 
18,755 posts, read 12,070,046 times
Reputation: 4586
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
Who's hiding from the consequences, Aero? The consequences for a pregnant woman are these: either she decides to carry the baby or she gets an abortion. There. Settled. Consequences happen either way.

You seem to believe that you get to dictate the consequences to other people.
The mother getting an abortion in this case is clearly dictating the consequences to the baby. So your argument in this case does not work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top