U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-30-2009, 02:56 PM

19,126 posts, read 15,169,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riceharvester View Post
Hate to break it to you, but you are forced to wear a seatbelt. You are forced to wear clothes. etc etc. Your body is controlled in many annoyingly small ways that seem normal to us now. Women who get abortions have abnormally high suicide rates...guilt perhaps?

Have you ever had one?
Nobody can force me to wear a seatbelt. I can get ticketed, or get hurt in an accident, but nobody is forcing me to do it. I also don't have to wear clothing, there is a nude beach not too far from where I live, and there are also nudist colonies scattered everywhere.

Do YOU know any women who have had an abortion? I bet you do. I bet there are a handful of women in your life who have had abortions and nobody but their doctor knows.

It is none of your business to delve into my personal life. I know many women who have had abortions and some wear it proudly, others do not. I myself have not had an abortion, but my mother and best friend both have.

It's all about control with these 'pro-life' people. All they want to do is control other people and force them to believe as they do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2009, 02:57 PM

1,330 posts, read 270,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
What would be wrong would be to take away a woman's right to choose. Nobody WANTS to have an abortion however it's important to have a clean, legal medical proceedure as an option.
"A clean legal procedure".

Oh, you mean the gruesome act of dissecting a writhing cortorting living human being and rendering it a bloody pulp?

Why can't you people say what it really is? Why the need to sanitize it? To dehumanize it? Afraid of what you might see? There is a proposal that all abortion patients be shown an ultrasound of the fetus they are about to kill. The pro-abortion people oppose this. Very odd for those who insist that women get "all the information and education available" on their options. Yet this option the pro-deathers abhor. Why on earth would this be the case? I thought you guys didn't really care which option women took, as long as they had a "choice". This opposition belies that claim, doesn't it?

Old 04-30-2009, 02:58 PM

29,210 posts, read 11,838,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeeee22895 View Post
Where did you get the idea that the developmental stage of "sentience" is the all-important trigger point of "real personhood". Is this something you concocted? Are you 100% sure it's true? If so, how are you sure?
There is a difference between human life and A Human Life. One is abstract, and the other is specific, real.

I had an uncle, a really great guy, married and a father of four. He and his wife argued one night about whose family they were going to spend Easter with. He left on his motorcycle to cool off. He was hit by a long-haul trucker who ran a red light at 3am trying to get home to be with his family on Easter morning. Though they had to scrape brain matter off the pavement, the hospital managed to put my uncle on life support. For days, my aunt and cousins sat by my uncle's bedside. But he wasn't there. There was still human life on the respirator, but not A Human Life. My uncle was gone.

Old 04-30-2009, 02:59 PM

7,277 posts, read 3,203,672 times
Quote:

Oh, you mean the gruesome act of dissecting a writhing cortorting living human being and rendering it a bloody pulp?

Why can't you people say what it really is? Why the need to sanitize it? To dehumanize it? Afraid of what you might see? There is a proposal that all abortion patients be shown an ultrasound of the fetus they are about to kill. The pro-abortion people oppose this. Very odd for those who insist that women get "all the information and education available" on their options. Yet this option the pro-deathers abhor. Why on earth would this be the case? I thought you guys didn't really care which option women took, as long as they had a "choice". This opposition belies that claim, doesn't it?

Have you ever had or seen an abortion? YOu can't even tell the fetus from other tissue that is expelled in the case of most abortions.

And it's in bad taste to give a woman an ultrasound right before the abortion. Abortion isn't a decision that is lightly made.

Old 04-30-2009, 03:00 PM

19,126 posts, read 15,169,970 times
Quote:

I think they should be given an ultrasound if they request it. I think it's a very good idea, but the ultrasounds also need to be given by a NON BIASED nurse or nurses assistant. Not someone who is going to say 'see, there's your baby! Now, do you really want to MAIM it??' which is common in some of these 'abortion' clinics.

If they don't want an ultrasound, they should not be forced into it, also pro-choice.

Old 04-30-2009, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langlen View Post
Personhood starts whenever you want it to start. It is my personal opinion that personhood starts when sentience begins.
But are you SURE personhood starts when sentience begins. Remember, your opinion is irrelevant as to when personhood actually occurs. I want to know how you KNOW this.

Old 04-30-2009, 03:02 PM

2 posts, read 1,891 times
Yeah you want to have sex with as many people as you want I hope you get std's

Old 04-30-2009, 03:02 PM

Quote:
But are you SURE personhood starts when sentience begins. Remember, your opinion is irrelevant as to when personhood actually occurs. I want to know how you KNOW this.
Again: It's how I personally feel. I'm not sure where you're getting at with this, if you're trying to question my religious beliefs or not.

To get it out of the way, my religious beliefs have no problems with abortions, as I believe in reincarnation anyways.

Old 04-30-2009, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGoGadgetHappy View Post
Yeah you want to have sex with as many people as you want I hope you get std's
You do know that a good percentage of people who have abortions are monogamous married couples, right?

Old 04-30-2009, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
There is a difference between human life and A Human Life. One is abstract, and the other is specific, real.

I had an uncle, a really great guy, married and a father of four. He and his wife argued one night about whose family they were going to spend Easter with. He left on his motorcycle to cool off. He was hit by a long-haul trucker who ran a red light at 3am trying to get home to be with his family on Easter morning. Though they had to scrape brain matter off the pavement, the hospital managed to put my uncle on life support. For days, my aunt and cousins sat by my uncle's bedside. But he wasn't there. There was still human life on the respirator, but not A Human Life. My uncle was gone.
And yet...people who have been thought to have been irretrievably on life-support have awakened years later, talked, laughed, etc. Are you telling me they were really not Human Life (as you differentiate) for all those years? See the problem is when you people start making up your own standards to suit your own purposes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies