U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2009, 03:05 PM

9,736 posts, read 8,512,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeeee22895 View Post
But are you SURE personhood starts when sentience begins. Remember, your opinion is irrelevant as to when personhood actually occurs. I want to know how you KNOW this.
That's the problem. When life begins is only an opinion, and everyone's is different.

That life begins at conception is a religious belief, not scientific fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2009, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGoGadgetHappy View Post
Yeah you want to have sex with as many people as you want I hope you get std's
Sorry to hear that you're unwillingly celebate. You can change! There is hope!

Old 04-30-2009, 03:08 PM

Quote:
And yet...people who have been thought to have been irretrievably on life-support have awakened years later, talked, laughed, etc. Are you telling me they were really not Human Life (as you differentiate) for all those years? See the problem is when you people start making up your own standards to suit your own purposes.
As soon as we develop technology that enables a zygote/embryo/unviable fetus to develop outside the womb, then your analogy will have merit.

Old 04-30-2009, 03:10 PM

1,330 posts, read 901,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langlen View Post
Again: It's how I personally feel. I'm not sure where you're getting at with this, if you're trying to question my religious beliefs or not.

To get it out of the way, my religious beliefs have no problems with abortions, as I believe in reincarnation anyways.
Why don't you get this? It's irrelevant what your personal opinion is. Life or "real life" as you mysteriously call it, begins at a specific point. And if you are going to end a life based on this event of sentience, then you'd better be damn sure it's valid or you're a cold-blooded killer. And I want to know how you are sure.

Old 04-30-2009, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
That's the problem. When life begins is only an opinion, and everyone's is different.

See my post #10 where I make the unassailable case that human life begins at conception. It's not opinion at all. It's a hard fact. Indisputable. Read and learn.

Old 04-30-2009, 03:12 PM

18,750 posts, read 12,057,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post

My opinion has always been, when left to go full term, when is a fetus given a 90% or more chance of going full term, and I have always seen this as the beginning of the second trimester. Aborting a child after that, to me any way, is crossing the line. As it stands now, democrats look at a baby within minutes prior to birth, as nothing but fertilizer.

Old 04-30-2009, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Why don't you get this? It's irrelevant what your personal opinion is. Life or "real life" as you mysteriously call it, begins at a specific point. And if you are going to end a life based on this event of sentience, then you'd better be damn sure it's valid or you're a cold-blooded killer. And I want to know how you are sure.
Yes, life began at a specific point - billions of years ago, and continues to this day. That's what you don't understand. Contrary to what some claim, we're not magically poofed into existence by a "creator god."

Because of the way we reproduce, no one can say with certainty when life begins. It's all opinion.

Old 04-30-2009, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Nobody can force me to wear a seatbelt. I can get ticketed, or get hurt in an accident, but nobody is forcing me to do it. I also don't have to wear clothing, there is a nude beach not too far from where I live, and there are also nudist colonies scattered everywhere.

Do YOU know any women who have had an abortion? I bet you do. I bet there are a handful of women in your life who have had abortions and nobody but their doctor knows.

It is none of your business to delve into my personal life. I know many women who have had abortions and some wear it proudly, others do not. I myself have not had an abortion, but my mother and best friend both have.

It's all about control with these 'pro-life' people. All they want to do is control other people and force them to believe as they do.
Here's the difference. When you fail to wear a seatbelt, it only YOURSELF who is at risk. When you abort, you are harming ANOTHER PERSON, just as you would be if you didn't seatbelt a toddler riding with you.

It is everyone's business if your child gets killed because you didn't belt him. Do you consider that just "people wanting to control you"?

Old 04-30-2009, 03:18 PM

Quote:
See my post #10 where I make the unassailable case that human life begins at conception. It's not opinion at all. It's a hard fact. Indisputable. Read and learn.
Too funny. I expect the Nobel committee is knocking at your door right now.

Old 04-30-2009, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
My opinion has always been, when left to go full term, when is a fetus given a 90% or more chance of going full term, and I have always seen this as the beginning of the second trimester. Aborting a child after that, to me any way, is crossing the line.
There are already restrictions on second and third trimester abortions.
Quote:
As it stands now, democrats look at a baby within minutes prior to birth, as nothing but fertilizer.
What a bunch of cow manure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies