Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2009, 10:37 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,572,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeeee22895 View Post
You can choose whatever religion you want. Just keep your tongs off the kids. That's where I step in.
Nope. You dont step in. I bet many women had abortions today. Did you step in?

NOPE!

Quote:
And you successfully challenged WHICH part of my definition in post #10?
Nobody challenges it because it is STUPID and MEANINGLESS.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:38 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,282,316 times
Putting it here, to make sure that EEEE doesn't miss it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Since you like science and logic...
By definition... an embryo is a parasite.

Parasites and Parasitology - Concept, How it works, Symbiosis, Defining the limits of parasitology, Protozoa, worms, and arthropods

When people hear the word
parasite, one of the first ideas or images that probably comes to mind is that of disease. Though many parasites do carry diseases, including some extremely deadly ones, "disease-carrying" is not necessarily a defining characteristic of a parasite.
Rather, a parasite can be identified as any organism that depends on another organism, the host, for food, shelter, or some other benefit and which receives these benefits in such a way that the host experiences detrimental effects as a consequence.
Theoretically, organisms from all across the kingdoms of living things can be characterized as parasites; in practice, however, the realm of organisms studied by parasitologists is confined to protozoa and various species within the animal kingdom, mostly worms and arthropods.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:39 PM

5,041 posts, read 6,216,429 times
Quote:
Then I guess science and logic are meaningless to you. Your question is like asking me "Where did you get the silly notion that the laws of nature would be binding on everybody else?" Gee, I didn't make it up that life begins at conception. It's just the way it is.
Laws are one thing. Definitions are another. Do you really think that your little exercise in semantics is the equivalent of developing a law of nature?

The King of Pointland strikes again.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:40 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,459,826 times
As a pro-lifer, I have to step in and say that although the fetus or embryo is a parasite (and, yes, I understand that biologically the term is correct), it does not matter to me. What matters is whether the fetus or embryo is a life. The only situation in which the fact that it is a "parasite" matters, IMO, is in the case of rape.

EEE's insane ideas about banning contraceptives are something I cannot agree with, but I won't change my stance simply because of a psychotic fellow poster.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:42 PM

Quote:
I have no idea what you're talking about. What do you mean I said "contraceptives should not be used to protect the life"? That makes no sense, so I don't recall ever saying it. Perhaps you can find that quote for me.
You didn't say that exactly.

What you said is that contraceptives should not be used because they endanger the embryo/fetus.

My rebuttal was that, according to your own (and my) definition, it is not a life until conception and thus contraceptives should be acceptable to you.

I still think this is more about you trying to control people's sex lives than about you actually fighting for the fetus' rights.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:44 PM

1,336 posts, read 1,531,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
EEE - the word "definition" implies something that is objective. When life begins is something that there is NO set definition for; it is thus subjective and each person has a differing opinion on it.

We do the best we can to figure it out for ourselves but nothing on this subject is set in stone.
Haven't you read my definition yet? I lay it out very clearly and scientifically that life begins at conception. If you disagree, tell me which part is scientifically or logically flawed. The floor is yours.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:45 PM

5,041 posts, read 6,216,429 times
Quote:
Then I guess science and logic are meaningless to you. Your question is like asking me "Where did you get the silly notion that the laws of nature would be binding on everybody else?" Gee, I didn't make it up that life begins at conception. It's just the way it is.
Secondly, life doesn't begin at conception. The sperm and egg were alive before conception. Live began a few billion years ago, give or take.

A new individual member of our little club gets created at conception. But there's nothing that says it needs to continue (unless you believe in some sky fairy who makes rules for you). Life will go on.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Since you like science and logic...
By definition... an embryo is a parasite.

Parasites and Parasitology - Concept, How it works, Symbiosis, Defining the limits of parasitology, Protozoa, worms, and arthropods

When people hear the word parasite, one of the first ideas or images that probably comes to mind is that of disease. Though many parasites do carry diseases, including some extremely deadly ones, "disease-carrying" is not necessarily a defining characteristic of a parasite. Rather, a parasite can be identified as any organism that depends on another organism, the host, for food, shelter, or some other benefit and which receives these benefits in such a way that the host experiences detrimental effects as a consequence. Theoretically, organisms from all across the kingdoms of living things can be characterized as parasites; in practice, however, the realm of organisms studied by parasitologists is confined to protozoa and various species within the animal kingdom, mostly worms and arthropods.
This is about the fifth time today somebody has said an embryo or fetus is a parasite. So for the fifth time, I'll ask:

What the hell does being a parasite or not have to do with an embryo being a human life?

Old 05-01-2009, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
A new individual member of our little club gets created at conception. But there's nothing that says it needs to continue (unless you believe in some sky fairy who makes rules for you). Life will go on.
It's life will not go on...you know that. You admit a new "member" is created, so you shouldn't support the ability to kill it.

Don't get me wrong - in a case of medical necessity, I will put the woman's life over the child's life hands down and agree that abortion should be allowed. In the case of rape, it should also be allowed (because the fetus IS a parasite and no woman should be a true slave to it; IMO she is only a true slave if she had no say over its creation). In other circumstances, the "member of the club's" rights should be valid as well.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Nope. You dont step in. I bet many women had abortions today. Did you step in?

I probably prevented a few in here today from having abortions with my flawless logic, so yes I did step in.

NOPE!

Nobody challenges it because it is STUPID and MEANINGLESS.
So 700 posts have been spent here today by people who were engaged in stupid and meaningless activites? Face it, chum. If they could have disputed, they would have gleefully done so. 12:51 AM Saturday and as yet no one has laid a glove on my definition. So yeah, I'm kind of enjoying that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies