Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2009, 10:27 AM

4,459 posts, read 4,209,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
OBAMA: I actually think that the state secret doctrine should be modified. I think right now it's over-broad. But keep in mind what happens is, we come into office, we're in for a week -- and suddenly we've got a court filing that's coming up.
Think Progress » Obama on ’state secrets’ doctrine: It’s ‘overbroad’ and should be ‘modified.’
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2009, 10:54 AM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Holder was asked by Couric if he felt "it was appropriate to invoke it at certain times?":

Quote:
Holder: "At certain times. But I want to make sure that we only do it where it's absolutely necessary. I would only apply the doctrine where - national security was at stake, where the lives of the American people were at stake. Where sources and methods used by our intelligence - at - our intelligence assets were used. This is a very transparent administration.

This is going to be a very transparent Justice Department. But I'm not gonna sacrifice the safety of the American people or our ability to protect - the American homeland. And that is - as I said, first and foremost."
Then Couric asked Holder,"do you believe the state secrets doctrine was abused by the Bush administration? ":

Quote:
Holder: "Well, I'm in the process of looking - that is being reviewed now. And so, I'll see what the result of that - review is. And as I said, try to share the results of that review with the American people.

On the basis of the two, three cases that we've had to review so far - I think that the invocation of the doctrine was correct." LINK
I'm not sure where 0bama is going with this, other then to say sometimes things are state secrets, sometimes they aren't, and he is trying to balance political advantages over national security concerns. In other words, does he still want to prosecute Bush and Cheney for waterboarding, and trying to find a way around releasing damaging national security secrets?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies