Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2009, 12:55 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,374,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
this has always bothered me. I have some far left extremist friends who are pro choice, and pro smoking and trans fat bans. I am pro choice to an extent. I think I have a problem with late term abortions, but early term stuff doesn't bother me. if you belive in the right of the individual, then how can you be pro choice and pro smoking bans? if we have the right to choose, we can choose to eat and hang out at non smoking or smoking places right? also, I believe in financial abortion. the woman has a say over her body, the man should have the say over his money. any thoughts? I know this is kind of two topics all wrapped up into one, but whatever.
A guy sued a few years ago because he made it clear he didn't want kids. His case was supposed to be the male Roe V. Wade. You see how far it went. Females are 53% of the population. We're just along for the ride. They like having the option of ending the relationship and still having us pay for their kids. Men pay either way. That won't change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 12:56 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,667,610 times
This thread makes me glad I'm gay.

Old 05-01-2009, 06:41 AM

3,564 posts, read 5,515,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
Because smoking pollutes the air that non smokers breathe. A pro choice person having an abortion does nothing to an anti-choice person's health or well being.

Non-smokers pollute the air as well.

Also...the kid that was aborted would grow up to pay taxes/SS if they had a chance...that certainly affects someone's well being. And it has a lot to do with the baby's well being.

Old 05-01-2009, 06:54 AM

1,655 posts, read 3,246,905 times
Quote:
this has always bothered me. I have some far left extremist friends who are pro choice, and pro smoking and trans fat bans. I am pro choice to an extent. I think I have a problem with late term abortions, but early term stuff doesn't bother me. if you belive in the right of the individual, then how can you be pro choice and pro smoking bans? if we have the right to choose, we can choose to eat and hang out at non smoking or smoking places right? also, I believe in financial abortion. the woman has a say over her body, the man should have the say over his money. any thoughts? I know this is kind of two topics all wrapped up into one, but whatever.
This is a bit jumbled but:

1) abortion is justified under right of privacy principles -- the woman has the right to control her body, including the fate of her embryo.

2) smoking bans are based on public health arguments -- second hand smoke harms bystanders and while other patrons can choose not to patronize the bar/restaurant, the employee does not have much choice. That's at least the rationale... it just makes zero sense to compare the two. I suppose you can use that argument to rail against anything that has no connection, e.g., a woman can abort her fetus but I have to wear a seatbelt!? Yeah, but there is no connection.

3) financial abortion? You mean a man forcing a woman to have an abortion because he does not want to take care of the baby? Is that a real conundrum in your mind? Nobody had dominion over another person's body. It just so happens that females get pregnant... so they have the say over their bodies. The man's protection is obviously in the front-end. He can choose to not have sex or to use protection. I don't get the standard you are trying to set up... are you advocating that a man should be able to force a woman to have an abortion or to use an argument of "I didn't want it" as to excuse him from his parental obligations?

Sorry, but your thoughts don't make much sense to me.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:01 AM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,843,321 times
right back at ya. your thoughts made absolutely no sense to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsmoove View Post
This is a bit jumbled but:

1) abortion is justified under right of privacy principles -- the woman has the right to control her body, including the fate of her embryo.

2) smoking bans are based on public health arguments -- second hand smoke harms bystanders and while other patrons can choose not to patronize the bar/restaurant, the employee does not have much choice. That's at least the rationale... it just makes zero sense to compare the two. I suppose you can use that argument to rail against anything that has no connection, e.g., a woman can abort her fetus but I have to wear a seatbelt!? Yeah, but there is no connection.

3) financial abortion? You mean a man forcing a woman to have an abortion because he does not want to take care of the baby? Is that a real conundrum in your mind? Nobody had dominion over another person's body. It just so happens that females get pregnant... so they have the say over their bodies. The man's protection is obviously in the front-end. He can choose to not have sex or to use protection. I don't get the standard you are trying to set up... are you advocating that a man should be able to force a woman to have an abortion or to use an argument of "I didn't want it" as to excuse him from his parental obligations?

Sorry, but your thoughts don't make much sense to me.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:02 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
If a man cannot convince a woman to freely bear and raise his children he should not be creating any. A man cannot force a woman to have an abortion or not. If she chooses to have a child the man that helped her conceive is liable for supporting both of them until the kid is an adult.

Creating children is a big responsibility. Don’t play the game if you do not want to pay the potential fee.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 05-01-2009, 07:04 AM

And I agree. If the women can just decide to have an abortion...then by all means, the man should be able to decide if he wants to be any part of the kids/woman's life afterwards. Financially and physically.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:22 AM

1,026 posts, read 1,192,706 times
A man has 100% choice over his own body. If he does not want to give a woman the exact same control over hers, he can keep his pants zipped.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raindrop101 View Post
A man has 100% choice over his own body. If he does not want to give a woman the exact same control over hers, he can keep his pants zipped. Then it absolutely is 100% his choice.

So men only have the choice before the act is commited. Am I understanding you right? Women also have that same choice. Am I right on that part as well?

Why would a women need a 2nd chance at the choice? Are you implying they cant make a rational decision? They are too emotional to be able to make the choice at the beginning?

Old 05-01-2009, 07:30 AM

1,655 posts, read 3,246,905 times
Quote:
right back at ya. your thoughts made absolutely no sense to me.
That's not true, boss... you can follow my thoughts... and I did not mean to offend you... just pointing out that your thoughts were jumbled. Don't be mad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies