Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 08:24 AM

233 posts, read 701,224 times

Advertisements

No Obama is not a history buff, nor are the vast majority of people on this board or anywhere else. As far as editing and research, just read a few traditional and on line news sources. The spelling, grammatical, and historical errors are all over the place. We've had a dumbing down process for at least two generations and it's really going to cost us big time. Yes, the British who once had a mighty empire that the sun never set on, did from time to time employ various forms of torture. It may not have been an official policy, it may not have always been common, but it happened. I don't fault Obama for taking the stance he did, I don't believe in waterboarding or other forms of so called torture myself. This country has virtually destroyed its ability to gather intelligence. That is a far more important issue to me. Torture as a means to gather specific and credible information is highly overrated. So Obama is not a historian but he is entitled to make that particular policy decision. I do wish he would release his health and academic records.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 09:03 AM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Ben Smith's Blog: Obama and Churchill - POLITICO.com
The secrets of the London Cage | UK news | The Guardian

Says Obama last night;

What a complete dunderhead - of course the media is reticent to correct him. As Ben notes, it looks like he got this directly from A. Sullivan (aka TrigTruther)

The Brits not only tortured, they reduced Berlin to rubble, killing tens of thousands of civilians. Seeing as how Hitler had no compunction doing the same to London, it was well justified.

Have we ever had a president so ignorant of recent history?
I thought that 0bama returned the bust of Churchill to the British, because his family claims that Churchill's people beat and tortured 0bama's grandfather, during a revolt in Kenya. So, is 0bama once again lying for political gain?

Beatings and abuse made Barack Obama’s grandfather loathe the British Link

Old 05-01-2009, 09:28 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
What can you provide about how Americans treated German prisoners as compared to how Germans treated Americans? I can provide you with some eyeball witnesses of how German POWs were treated in the US and some really good ones who suffered from malnutrition from German inability to feed them.

No, you are wrong talking about POWs as the Geneva Conventions required treatment that couldn't always be provided but some of those Germans who weren't even penned up in northcentral Kansas and, in fact, married girls in the community before going home and then coming back.

We aren't talking about the same kind of people. Germans who were captured out of uniform were considered probable spies and didn't have to be treated the same as those in German uniforms. Comparing Germans in this case to Muslims who were not wearing uniforms and not even fighting under a national flag is like comparing oranges to bananas.

From Andrew Sullivan today:

"We don't have documentation that authorizes the torture, and no evidence that Churchill knew of or approved of it. We do know that the central institution for interrogating captured Nazi spies - Camp 020 - used no torture at all.
Here's his interesting reply, which has a bottom line of confirming that this looks, pace Jonah Goldberg, very much like an aberration, as often happens in wartime, and not policy, along the lines of the Bush-Cheney top-down program."

The Daily Dish | By Andrew Sullivan

People can chose to believe whatever they want. Yes, Churchill ordered the bombing of Dresden that killed 100,000+ men, women and children, kind of like Bush ordered the bombing of Baghdad that probably killed more than that. But, as far as anyone can determine, Churchill did not advocate a policy of torture, and that, in my opinion, is the point that the president was trying to articulate.

Some evidence of how German prisoners were treated from VetVoice along with some thoughts on the ramifications of the policy instituted by the Bush administration:

VetVoice:: Torture Advocates Will Set the Military Back for Generations

Old 05-01-2009, 10:05 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,479,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
Also German bombing killed nearly 40,000 Londoners during the Battle of Britain. I think Mr Churchill showed great humanity during the war.
Churchill and Roosevelt burned that many people to death in Dresden in a single night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies