Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2010, 09:37 PM

604 posts, read 750,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
That just goes to show that you really don't understand hate crimes. Has nothing to do with "getting into a fight". If the straight guy attacks the gay guy and the reason he attacked is because the second guy is gay, then uses terms that indicate that was the reason, then the straight guy is charged with a hate crime. If, OTOH, the gay guy attacks the straight guy and in the process uses terms that show the only reason for the attack was that the second guy was straight, he also could be charged with a hate crime.

LOL made me laugh, because in any court of law today, if a gay man and straight guy got in a fight, there'd be rallies outside of it, and
which way do you think that would go?

"Minorities being beat up" would look good in the paper...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2010, 10:16 PM

1,125 posts, read 1,591,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Well, since you won't accept the marriage issue as a basis for argument - he/she has the right the openly admit his/her sexual preference and still remain in the military.

Ken
Serving in the United States Military is not a right.

Old 04-18-2010, 10:37 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
Stop being racist and homophobic. And love thy neighboreeno.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Ranger View Post
LOL made me laugh, because in any court of law today, if a gay man and straight guy got in a fight, there'd be rallies outside of it, and
which way do you think that would go?

"Minorities being beat up" would look good in the paper...

Old 04-19-2010, 07:54 AM

694 posts, read 745,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Maybe you should take the blinders off and stop viewing the world with such a primitive old-world religious interpretation.
So, what you are saying is that when the times change, my religion should change with them? One of the points of the truth of one's religion is that the tennets don't change with time, but give you a concrete view to give you strength THROUGH changing time. The word of God, which is against homosexuality but not HOMOSEXUALS as people, is the same yesterday, today and forever! If it weren't, it would be of no value.

Charles

Old 04-19-2010, 07:59 AM

3,079 posts, read 1,117,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpsTN View Post
So, what you are saying is that when the times change, my religion should change with them? One of the points of the truth of one's religion is that the tennets don't change with time, but give you a concrete view to give you strength THROUGH changing time. The word of God, which is against homosexuality but not HOMOSEXUALS as people, is the same yesterday, today and forever! If it weren't, it would be of no value.

Charles

My, my.....even Jerry Falwell changed his mind, so it is NOT impossible or unheard of!

"Jerry Falwell believed the Bible supported segregation in the church until a black shoeshine man asked him, "When will someone like me be allowed to become a member of your congregation?" Through those simple words, the Holy Spirit spoke new truth about the ancient biblical texts to the Rev. Falwell, and in obedience he ended segregation at Thomas Road Baptist Church."

What the Bible Says - And Doesn't Say - About Homosexuality (http://www.soulforce.org/article/homosexuality-bible-gay-christian - broken link)

Old 04-19-2010, 08:24 AM

694 posts, read 745,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazinGracie View Post
My, my.....even Jerry Falwell changed his mind, so it is NOT impossible or unheard of!

"Jerry Falwell believed the Bible supported segregation in the church until a black shoeshine man asked him, "When will someone like me be allowed to become a member of your congregation?" Through those simple words, the Holy Spirit spoke new truth about the ancient biblical texts to the Rev. Falwell, and in obedience he ended segregation at Thomas Road Baptist Church."

What the Bible Says - And Doesn't Say - About Homosexuality (http://www.soulforce.org/article/homosexuality-bible-gay-christian - broken link)
The Holy Spirit does not speak NEW truth. This was a clearification of what Falwell was miss-interpretation. I assume the man was homosexual. Having an homosexual join your church when the Word is against homosexuality is like letting a murderer - who is currently still commiting the crimes - become a police officer. If the person has repented of his sins and has commited to following the right path (but still sins sometimes, as we ALL do) that is different.

Charles

Old 04-19-2010, 08:57 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,384,541 times
Quote:

Charles
To me, the problem is when some people selectively choose modern English translations of lines from ancient Hebrew texts with very little or no understanding of the intent, cultural context and languages in which they were originally written.

There are quite a few people who would be put to death if we were to take all the laws in the OT and apply them to modern times. And there would be quite a few people we would label as immoral monsters and criminals today, whose behaviour was perfectly acceptable two to three thousand years ago amongst the Israelites.

As far as I can see, homosexuals as we know them today, have nothing to do with the people and behaviour that was condemned in a handful of selected verses from both the OT and NT. Homosexual couples in loving committed relationships and families as we know them today are not even mentioned at all in the Bible.

From everything I've researched, the only mentions of any hint of same-gender sex acts (not homosexuality) are those involved with worship of fertility gods (idolatry) or an abusive act like male/male rape of strangers. Male rape was another common practice in those days- where a male would rape another male-(especially a stranger) to show dominance, contempt and humiliation. Ie treat a man like a woman. This had nothing to do with homosexuality or even lust-the men were more than likely heterosexual (think prisons, or prisoners of war). We know rape is about control and power, not "lust".

We no longer have temples to Canaanite or Roman fertility gods where ritual sex acts (both heterosexual and homosexual) with sacred temple prostitutes were used to worship the gods to make the crops grow and the land prosperous. This was a very very common practice in both the time when the Israelites were in the land of Canaan, as well as later in the 1st century Roman empire.

Yet many people today, who appear to know nothing of the ancient Canaanite practices, or ancient Hebrew culture, or the religious practices common in the 1st century Rome and Corinth, seem to feel so certain that these cherry-picked verses must be referring to homosexuals or homosexuality in general.

Obviously, the culture was completely different to modern times when the texts in the OT were written. Men could have several wives and concubines and slavegirls. They could kidnap virgin girls from other tribes with the Lord's approval. The Lord even asked for His percent of the human booty in the form of virgins and slaves. Men could get away with raping a virgin girl as long as they paid a price to the girls father and married her. They could get away with having sex with another man's slavewoman as long as they gave a ram to the priest to be sacrificed in atonement. Women were chattel whose main value was as a receptacle for men's seed. Women whose husbands had died had to marry their dead husband's brother or closest relative to carry on his "seed".

These practices are completely ignored by certain modern Christians when they use a verse or two out of context to condemn homosexuals and homosexuality.

Just how many modern homosexuals are sacred temple prostitutes practicing ritual sex acts in pagan fertility temples so that the local corn crops or wheat fields will be prosperous? If someone wants to say that gay people in a loving relationship are "fornicators" because they aren't "married"- well fine.

At least that puts them on the same level as a heterosexual couple who isn't married.

But then put it back in context of ancient Hebrew men having several wives, concubines and slavewoman, some of whom would have been kidnapped as young girls from a neighbouring tribe after all the men, women and male children were slaughtered. How does a modern, loving, committed, gay couple compare to that sort of behaviour?? Bevahiour which was perfectly acceptable in ancient times.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:26 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,752,484 times
Quote:
The Holy Spirit does not speak NEW truth. This was a clearification of what Falwell was miss-interpretation. I assume the man was homosexual. Having an homosexual join your church when the Word is against homosexuality is like letting a murderer - who is currently still commiting the crimes - become a police officer. If the person has repented of his sins and has commited to following the right path (but still sins sometimes, as we ALL do) that is different.

Charles
Having read the Bible, sometimes daily, sometimes weekly, sometimes only sporadically for fifty of the last 60 years, I have never found one thing in there that would allow such discrimination for any reason. God wants ALL of His children to love and worship him, not just the righteous. If you believe someone is sinning, then is it not incumbent upon you to bring that person under the light of God's love and allow God to fix what you cannot?

(To the Mods, I know this reply would be better suited for the religion forum, but since the post I'm replying to is here and not there, )

Old 04-19-2010, 09:59 AM

968 posts, read 2,624,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymberwulf View Post
Serving in the United States Military is not a right.
you're correct it isn't, but do you really want to leave our borders unprotected because willing, healthy individuals, who are able to pass a PT test and able to complete basic training are excluded from consideration?

i find it stupid.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:03 AM

968 posts, read 2,624,530 times
Quote:

Charles
then don't prevent their quality of life by denying privileges, rights, conveniences, tax evasion (through marriage) and service to country.

let them sin, educate them about God if they'll listen. but if their way of life is not infringing on your rights, allow them the free will god has instilled in all of us to make choices, and then when the day of judgement comes, you won't have to pay for those sins, and you will be rewarded for the fair treatment of these sinners!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies