Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 12:18 PM

2,521 posts, read 2,348,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
a gay man can marry a woman. therefore, the gay man has the exact same rights as the straight man. a straight man can't marry another man.
An openly gay man cannot serve in the military.

An openly gay man cannot serve as a scout leader in the Boy Scouts, even if his son is in the unit.

There's two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 12:21 PM

2,521 posts, read 2,348,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
You cannot be fired for any reason, that is incorrect. You cannot be fired due to your race, gender, religion or national origin. You cannot be fired due to the fact that you are over 40 years old.
Quote:
I told you, I have always lived in at will states. please read for youself what you employment rights are.

At-will employment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

as for the rest of your statement, I have no clue what you are talking about. shooting a marshall? WTH are you talking about?
Sorry, but thefinalsay doesn't understand law or logic.

Hey genius, ever hear of "wrongful termination" lawsuits?

Old 05-01-2009, 12:43 PM

3,457 posts, read 4,652,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
An openly gay man cannot serve in the military.

An openly gay man cannot serve as a scout leader in the Boy Scouts, even if his son is in the unit.

There's two.
Are either of these rights? No, and kudos to organizations for having standards. Not everyone agrees with these behaviors.

Old 05-01-2009, 01:14 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,665,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
Are either of these rights?
I think the OP (or you) need to define "rights" so that we're all straight on this (so-to-speak).

Old 05-01-2009, 01:26 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,525,531 times
Quote:
Are either of these rights? No, and kudos to organizations for having standards. Not everyone agrees with these behaviors.
Marriage isn't a right, either.

Old 05-01-2009, 01:29 PM

Quote:
just a questioin. I bet no one can come up with a single right that a straight person has that a gay person does not. the marriage argument doesn't work. gays have the same rights as straight people when it comes to marriage.
You need to define "rights". I just looked up "right" on dictionary.com. There are 62 definitions for the word:

right definition | Dictionary.com

So, which definition are you referring to?

Old 05-01-2009, 01:33 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,956,245 times
Quote:
These organizations should not have the right to define standards of discrimination. Besides, the standards they are using are based on stereotypical behaviours associated with gays, not the actual behaviour of the individual. Look into the reasons why said organizations do not allow gays in.

Plus i thought the don't ask don't tell policy was still valid. If so, it is allowing gays in the military, they just want you to be closeted and not talk about it.

Last edited by mississauga75; 05-01-2009 at 01:43 PM..

Old 05-01-2009, 01:40 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,956,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
It's not about legalizing same-sex marriage just for gay people, it's about legalizing it for everyone. That's why it's more accurate to refer to "same-sex marriage", not "gay marriage". You don't have to be gay to participate in a same-sex marriage just as you don't have to be straight to participate in an opposite-sex marriage.

It's not a big issue for me, but I just wanted to add my thoughts.

One thing really does irk me, however: Gay men are banned for life from donating blood. Actually, any male who has had sex with another male since 1977 is banned for life from donating blood. This tells me that either:

1. They're not really screening and testing the blood supply, as they say they are, or

2. It's just pure discrimination against homosexual and bisexual males.

Or maybe it's both.

Apparently, if you're heterosexual, it's okay if you've had 1000 sex partners in the last few months; your blood is still acceptable; but if you're a man who has had just one male sex partner since 1977, you're tainted, and your blood is considered dirty.
Interesting.. the only thing in the blood I can think of objectively is an increased rate of HIV+ males in the gay community - which is still a minority. They can do a 5 minute hiv test that is very accurate and they can perform it on everyone so I don't see the point of it. However I agree with you - it is discriminatory!

Old 05-01-2009, 01:47 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,064,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
I like how these wingnuts threads start out by defining the terms of the debate. As if they can mandate that.

He says the marraige argument doesnt work. Because gays can marry someone of the opposite sex just like heteros........how clever and big of you!

That should make all the gays feel better now.

Sort of like those garbage trucks in Ft. Lauderdale that advertise free snow removal.
Wonderful analogy. Well done.

Old 05-01-2009, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mississauga75 View Post
Plus i thought the don't ask don't tell policy was still valid. If so, it is allowing gays in the military, they just want you to be closeted and not talk about it.
Exactly, and in some ways, I think DADT is worse than banning gays altogether. There's no other personal characteristic you're forced to hide in the military. For example, there are undoubtedly people in the military who are anti-Jew, but Jews aren't forced to conceal their religion.

It's a silly law, really, because it's not that difficult to figure out if a guy or girl is gay when you live and work with them 24 hours a day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies