Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 04:03 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
Tell that to Switzerland.. who have 98% of their population purchasing that mandatory insurance.. and the rest being fined by the government.
Tell me TM: What is the population of Switzerland vs the United States? And, what is the geographic area of Switzerland vs the United States? And, how many are self employed in Switzerland vs the United States?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2009, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Canada seems to do a good job of it. Everybody pays into it via taxes and everybody can use it.

KevK: How many do not pay income taxes in the United States? Keep in mind, there are many who have tax free income and then, there are millions who do not file returns (even though they are suppose to) - the underground economy?

And, I'll ask you the same question I asked another; what is the population of Canada v the US?

Old 05-02-2009, 04:09 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,009,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Tell me TM: What is the population of Switzerland vs the United States? And, what is the geographic area of Switzerland vs the United States? And, how many are self employed in Switzerland vs the United States?

GM. . what difference does that make.. we also break down our population by state jurisdictions.. making a larger population more manageable. And geographically we are broken down into states.. making a larger area more manageable.

But you keep on racking up the excuses ..because that is all they are.. excuses..... one right after the other .. we can't we can't we can't.. .. what a defeatest attitude!

Hey.. I'm self employed and pay taxes.. for all those that are self employed who don't.. well if you don't file a tax return you dont' get a UHI card.. period. So.. you want to live outside the law. you live outside the benefits.. same as if you were an illegal immigrant.

Old 05-02-2009, 04:14 PM

Quote:
GM. . what difference does that make.. we also break down our population by state jurisdictions.. making a larger population more manageable. And geographically we are broken down into states.. making a larger area more manageable.

But you keep on racking up the excuses ..because that is all they are.. excuses..... one right after the other .. we can't we can't we can't.. .. what a defeatest attitude!

Hey.. I'm self employed and pay taxes.. for all those that are self employed who don't.. well if you don't file a tax return you dont' get a UHI card.. period. So.. you want to live outside the law. you live outside the benefits.. same as if you were an illegal immigrant.
So, you would deny health care to those who do not file returns????

Or, would you throw them in jail?

Exactly how would YOU, TM, handle the situation?

Old 05-02-2009, 04:45 PM

One of the major impediments to a government run health care system is that according to our laws (Constitution), converting to a Government run program would REQUIRE the Government to purchase, at Fair Market Value, all the Privately run hospitals and Clinics in the Country. They would be required to compensate all those companies stockholders for all their shares of stock (many of which are held by retirees and used for retirement income).

They would also have to buy out all existing union contracts for any health care workers.

And frankly, the cost would make this current bailout (TARP et seq) look pale by comparison.

While some will try to "poo poo" this, or say it would not be necessary, they are wrong.

It would fall under the concept of Eminent Domain -

Again, this is one, albeit LARGE, impediment to any UHI scheme.

Old 05-02-2009, 05:14 PM

Quote:
So, you would deny health care to those who do not file returns????

Or, would you throw them in jail?

Exactly how would YOU, TM, handle the situation?

You live outside of the law.. then you don't get benefits.. You'll get healthcare just like illegal immigrants, but then don't expect government help for a government you don't contribute too.

It's kind of hypocritical to talk about how illegal immigrants shouldn't get this or that or this or that.. because they are not citizens and do not contribute but then turn around and grant someone that IS a citizen the benefits of a government they dont' contribute to because they decide to skirt the law.

I'm sure those that don't currently file a tax return will start abiding by the laws of the country they benefit from if they want to enjoy the benefits of said country. GD.. plain and simple.

GD.. other nations have self employed individuals who probably don't always report their full income.. they operate on a similar mixed economy like ourselves.. and it works for them..

again..you are making excuses

Old 05-02-2009, 05:20 PM

Quote:
One of the major impediments to a government run health care system is that according to our laws (Constitution), converting to a Government run program would REQUIRE the Government to purchase, at Fair Market Value, all the Privately run hospitals and Clinics in the Country. They would be required to compensate all those companies stockholders for all their shares of stock (many of which are held by retirees and used for retirement income).

They would also have to buy out all existing union contracts for any health care workers.

And frankly, the cost would make this current bailout (TARP et seq) look pale by comparison.

While some will try to "poo poo" this, or say it would not be necessary, they are wrong.

BS.. because UHI and private sector can co-exist together.. it's occurring in UK, Switzerland and Germany to name a few...

Just another excuse.

Old 05-02-2009, 05:22 PM

1,319 posts, read 1,616,709 times
Quote:

A single-payer system does not require the government to buy and run all the hospitals in the country - that is nonsense...

When most people talk Universal Health Care - they are really thinking Single Payer - being the government.

Old 05-02-2009, 06:04 PM

Quote:
BS.. because UHI and private sector can co-exist together.. it's occurring in UK, Switzerland and Germany to name a few...
No BS TM. The UK, Germany and Switzerland are different kinds of governmental systems than the US -

And I have to tell you that some of the finest legal minds that advise the Government stated what I said. So, I guess you say BS to them also.

My statement regarding the eminent domain issue was not developed / asserted by me. It came from legal counsels to the Senate majority leader the Speaker of the House.

Old 05-02-2009, 06:08 PM

Quote:
No BS TM. The UK, Germany and Switzerland are different kinds of governmental systems than the US -

And I have to tell you that some of the finest legal minds that advise the Government stated what I said. So, I guess you say BS to them also.

My statement regarding the eminent domain issue was not developed / asserted by me. It came from legal counsels to the Senate majority leader the Speaker of the House.

They are different GOVERNMENT.. but he same economic system.. mixed system.

If they can exist within an environment and CO EXIST>.. then they are still in business alongside a UHI.. so no "buy out" neccesary.

Just like any business evovles.. so too would the insurance industry as things evolve.. heck .. even when new things are invented it makes other businesses and things absolete.. did they all get bought out? No. they evolved..created newer products or different products.

It's BS>. it's a bunch of excuses meant to quash any real reform that would actually benefit the people of this nation in order to cow tow to the corporate structure currently in place with insurance companies.... it's laziness and fear of change of any kind... becasue they are making boatloads of green now and are too lazy to rethink their business model to fit in with something that would otherwise be good for this nation.. They don't want change.. they fear it.. and so they create useless BS to quash it.

Private and public co-exist in a mixed economy .. has nothing to do with governance... it has to do with the ability to make money..and that wouldnt' be removed when done side by side...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies