Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 06:15 AM

4,459 posts, read 4,208,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Obama calls 'empathy' key to Supreme Court pick

Interest groups are already lobbying for a woman, minority or solid liberal to succeed Justice David Souter. Obama says he puts empathy, intelligence and independence before ideology.

Obama calls 'empathy' key to Supreme Court pick -- chicagotribune.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2009, 06:22 AM

3,709 posts, read 4,627,807 times
The only present justice who sits on our Supreme Court that fits this description is.....guess who? Clarence Thomas! I bet Obama did not even realize that he was describing our best judge.

Old 05-02-2009, 06:59 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,383,703 times
Whomever Obama picks, that person will be an exceptional choice. I'd love to see a woman in that role. No question about that. I'm waiting for Roberts to step down. He had a seizure some time back, so maybe that time is sooner than later.

Old 05-02-2009, 07:04 AM

4,829 posts, read 6,930,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishvanguard View Post
The only present justice who sits on our Supreme Court that fits this description is.....guess who? Clarence Thomas! I bet Obama did not even realize that he was describing our best judge.
The supreme court has gotten so political that I am not sure it is of any value any more. It tends to be as polarized and the nation is. It is tit for tat and has been for some time now.

Old 05-02-2009, 07:09 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,459,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
Whomever Obama picks, that person will be an exceptional choice. I'd love to see a woman in that role. No question about that. I'm waiting for Roberts to step down. He had a seizure some time back, so maybe that time is sooner than later.
I'd like to see a woman as well. However, you're insane for automatically assuming Obama will make a good choice. As a Republican, I would NEVER automatically assume a Republican would make a good choice. I actually think for myself and don't blindly salute and bow down to some man I think is a god.

Old 05-02-2009, 07:10 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,459,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
The supreme court has gotten so political that I am not sure it is of any value any more. It tends to be as polarized and the nation is. It is tit for tat and has been for some time now.
Yup...they don't care about the Constitution. All they care about is judicial activism. Crazy! I see this with both liberal and conservative justices.

Old 05-02-2009, 07:18 AM

4,829 posts, read 6,930,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Yup...they don't care about the Constitution. All they care about is judicial activism. Crazy! I see this with both liberal and conservative justices.
Agreed. The only way it works is if they have no agenda. That is why it is useless.

Old 05-02-2009, 07:39 AM

1,902 posts, read 2,468,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post

That's pretty funny, we can tell that your kool aide has not been watered down. Do you know this because Barry made such good choices for his cabinet? Was there one that was not a tax cheat?

Fact it, Barry is already going about the decision using the wrong criteria.

Instead of making a choice based on the persons integrity and ability to interpret the Constitution, his decision will be based on whether or not they have a penis.

Old 05-02-2009, 07:43 AM

4,604 posts, read 8,231,205 times
Obama calls 'empathy' key to Supreme Court pick

So an issue or person will be judged by 'feel goodisms'? Fits right into the right wing wackos religious agenda.

Old 05-02-2009, 07:44 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,121,445 times
Empathy: Codeword for entitlement. Empathy means putting yourself in another persons shoes and understanding where feelings come from. Liberals understand the entitlement mentality that pervades its electorate. It comes as no surprise that Obama is a proponent of empathy in his selection. Fortunately for those of us who aren't big fans of handouts, Obama's selection will only represent one vote in the court. Souter voted liberally, so its all awash anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies