Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 08:25 AM

2,362 posts, read 5,137,741 times

Advertisements

grow it , smoke it , start over ,

Oh wait ..Dont forget to pay the tax on it 1st

Change ..Its a coming
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 09:50 AM

936 posts, read 2,396,784 times
[quote=PITTSTON2SARASOTA;8641204]
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxy38 View Post
The majority of your argument makes no sense...you have contradicted yourself a few times already!
I dont see where I contradicted myself. I dont feel that pot should be legalized, plain and simple.

Old 05-04-2009, 10:03 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,515,219 times
[quote=roxxy38;8643577]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post

I dont see where I contradicted myself. I dont feel that pot should be legalized, plain and simple.
Then we are actually agreeing.... i never said legalize it. Decriminalize it , tax it, regulate it. Just like alcohol, cigarettes etc. The majority of the industrialized world is way ahead of us on this issue and other social issues...

Old 05-04-2009, 10:21 AM

Well like I said above: Pot shouldnt be legalized and I dont need to study history to give my OPINION.

As far as students not getting or losing financial aid: I agree with you its a shame that after getting caught with a small amount of pot someone would not receive financial aid. But what about someone who is caught dealing drugs or using cocaine or heroin, what do you think should happen to them? Like I said before the law isnt perfect and should be changed to fit the crime.

I never said that 50% of Americans do drugs. I said that smoking pot can lead to other drugs. Maybe after you read this article you might think differently.

[CENTER]Marijuana use among Teens
[/CENTER]
Marijuana is the most widely used illicit drug used by teens today. Approximately 60 percent of the kids who use drugs use only marijuana. Of the 14.6 million marijuana users in 2002, approximately 4.8 million used it on 20 or more days in any given month (Kids and Marijuana).
The marijuana that is available to teens today is much stronger than the marijuana that was available in the 1960’s. Sometimes it is also laced with other, more potent drugs. Marijuana is physically addictive. Each year, 100,000 teens are treated for marijuana dependence. Teens who smoke marijuana heavily experience much the same symptoms of withdrawal as users of nicotine.
The University of Michigan’s Monitoring the Future study, which assesses drug and alcohol use among American youth, reported substantial increases among eighth, tenth, and twelfth graders from 1992 to 1997. These statistics show a disturbing national trend in the increase of marijuana use by teenagers (Facts about Marijuana Use).
Between 1991 and 2001, the percentage of eighth graders who used marijuana doubled from one in ten to one in five. Kids are using marijuana at an earlier age. Research indicates that the earlier teens start using marijuana, the more likely they are to become dependent on this or other drugs later in life. Of teens admitted for treatment for marijuana dependence, 56 percent had first used the drug by fourteen years of age, and 26 percent had begun by twelve years of age (Kids and Marijuana).
According to the 1998 National Household Survey on Drug Abuse (NHSDA), marijuana was the most frequently used drug of choice by teens. The NHSDA also reported that teens using marijuana on twelve or more days during the past year, 58 percent of them had one problem that they related to their marijuana use, 41 percent had two problems, and 28 percent had at least three problems that they related to their marijuana use. From age 12 to age 13, the proportion of teens who say they could buy marijuana if they wanted to more than triples, from 14 to 50 percent. Also the percentage of teens who say that they know a student at their school who sells drugs almost triples, from eight percent to 22 percent (Psych Central).
There are many reasons why some teens start smoking marijuana. Many kids start using because their older siblings or friends are consuming it in front of them. Often peer pressure plays a major role. Teens think it’s cool to use marijuana; they see their favorite movie stars smoking it in movies and their favorite bands sing songs about it. The problem becomes more severe when teens start relying on marijuana and think that they need it to escape from problems at school, home life, or with friends.
Some of the signs teenagers exhibit when using marijuana are: dizziness and trouble walking, red bloodshot eyes, trouble remembering things that just happened, and they often appear silly and giggly for no apparent reason. The way marijuana affects each teen depends on several factors including:
• How strong the marijuana is;
• What the user expects to happen;
• Whether the user is drinking alcohol or using other drugs;
• The user’s previous marijuana consumption;
• Where the drug is used
Some teens feel no effects from marijuana the first few times they smoke it. Others may feel relaxed and somewhat giddy. Quite often marijuana makes the teen feel very hungry and thirsty. Others can sometimes experience bad effects from marijuana. They may become highly paranoid or have feelings of anxiety or dizziness (N.I.D.A.).
Regular marijuana users often develop breathing problems, such as chronic coughing and wheezing. Marijuana contains the same cancer causing chemicals as tobacco. The amount of tar inhaled by marijuana smokers and the level of carbon monoxide absorbed by those who smoke marijuana are three to five times greater than among tobacco smokers.
The active ingredient in marijuana is THC (tetrahydrocannabinal). The behaviors exhibited by introducing THC to the brain are similar to those demonstrated by alcohol consumption. Marijuana can induce several emotional responses such as relaxation, introspection, feeling “in tune” with the world, and irrationality.
The teen drug abuser attempts to reconcile his basic urges with the demands of reality through the use of marijuana and other drugs. This behavior is directed toward the pursuit of pleasure and reduction of pain. If and when the teen seeks treatment, they are often underdeveloped emotionally, academically, and vocationally (Alcoholism and Substance Abuse, pg. 350).
The use of marijuana by teens can affect school, sports, and other activities; marijuana also affects memory, judgment, and perception. Teens who smoke marijuana on a regular basis start to lose interest in their appearance and how they are doing in school, at work, and at home.
The short-term effects of marijuana include memory problems, distorted perception, trouble problem solving, and loss of motor coordination. Marijuana has a strong odor that clings to teens’ hair and clothing and can remain on their breath despite efforts to mask it. The reactive properties of marijuana aren’t like other drugs. Not much is known for sure about the physical mechanisms of addiction and withdrawal. Some claim that marijuana is totally non-addicting, while others say that it is just as addicting as other substances.
Since the reasons for marijuana addiction among teens are unclear, it is impossible to assess whether or not they may become hooked until it has already happened. Research has now established that marijuana is addictive. Every year more teens enter treatment with the diagnosis of marijuana dependence than for all other illicit drugs combined. Sixty percent of teens admitted for drug treatment say marijuana is their primary drug of choice.
Researchers have found that heavy marijuana use impairs teenagers’ ability to retain information and concentrate. Regular marijuana use has been shown to be associated with poor academic performance. This is of a huge concern during teens’ peak learning years, as their brains are still developing. There is an association between an increase in marijuana use and a decrease in the likelihood of attaining at least a high school education. Students who smoke marijuana are more than twice as likely to cut class that those who don’t smoke.
Teens get a mixed message about marijuana, but the message needs to be clear. Marijuana is an illegal substance that affects teens in many harmful ways. It is very important to begin taking with kids about it by at least twelve years of age. Magazines or newspaper articles are often a good place to start your discussion about drugs. Teens need to be told clearly and often that using marijuana and other illegal substances carries significant health, safety, and legal risks (Kids using Marijuana).

http://www.mediacampaign.com/marijuana/kids_and_marijuana.html (broken link)

Old 05-04-2009, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Well like I said above: Pot shouldnt be legalized and I dont need to study history to give my OPINION.

As far as students not getting or losing financial aid: I agree with you its a shame that after getting caught with a small amount of pot someone would not receive financial aid. But what about someone who is caught dealing drugs or using cocaine or heroin, what do you think should happen to them? Like I said before the law isnt perfect and should be changed to fit the crime.

I never said that 50% of Americans do drugs. I said that smoking pot can lead to other drugs. Maybe after you read this article you might think differently.

[CENTER]Marijuana use among Teens
[/CENTER]
Marijuana is the most widely used illicit drug used by teens today. Approximately 60 percent of the kids who use drugs use only marijuana. Of the 14.6 million marijuana users in 2002, approximately 4.8 million used it on 20 or more days in any given month (Kids and Marijuana).
The marijuana that is available to teens today is much stronger than the marijuana that was available in the 1960’s. Sometimes it is also laced with other, more potent drugs. Marijuana is physically addictive. Each year, 100,000 teens are treated for marijuana dependence. Teens who smoke marijuana heavily experience much the same symptoms of withdrawal as users of nicotine.
The University of Michigan’s Monitoring the Future study, which assesses drug and alcohol use among American youth, reported substantial increases among eighth, tenth, and twelfth graders from 1992 to 1997. These statistics show a disturbing national trend in the increase of marijuana use by teenagers (Facts about Marijuana Use).
Between 1991 and 2001, the percentage of eighth graders who used marijuana doubled from one in ten to one in five. Kids are using marijuana at an earlier age. Research indicates that the earlier teens start using marijuana, the more likely they are to become dependent on this or other drugs later in life. Of teens admitted for treatment for marijuana dependence, 56 percent had first used the drug by fourteen years of age, and 26 percent had begun by twelve years of age (Kids and Marijuana).
According to the 1998 National Household Survey on Drug Abuse (NHSDA), marijuana was the most frequently used drug of choice by teens. The NHSDA also reported that teens using marijuana on twelve or more days during the past year, 58 percent of them had one problem that they related to their marijuana use, 41 percent had two problems, and 28 percent had at least three problems that they related to their marijuana use. From age 12 to age 13, the proportion of teens who say they could buy marijuana if they wanted to more than triples, from 14 to 50 percent. Also the percentage of teens who say that they know a student at their school who sells drugs almost triples, from eight percent to 22 percent (Psych Central).
There are many reasons why some teens start smoking marijuana. Many kids start using because their older siblings or friends are consuming it in front of them. Often peer pressure plays a major role. Teens think it’s cool to use marijuana; they see their favorite movie stars smoking it in movies and their favorite bands sing songs about it. The problem becomes more severe when teens start relying on marijuana and think that they need it to escape from problems at school, home life, or with friends.
Some of the signs teenagers exhibit when using marijuana are: dizziness and trouble walking, red bloodshot eyes, trouble remembering things that just happened, and they often appear silly and giggly for no apparent reason. The way marijuana affects each teen depends on several factors including:
• How strong the marijuana is;
• What the user expects to happen;
• Whether the user is drinking alcohol or using other drugs;
• The user’s previous marijuana consumption;
• Where the drug is used
Some teens feel no effects from marijuana the first few times they smoke it. Others may feel relaxed and somewhat giddy. Quite often marijuana makes the teen feel very hungry and thirsty. Others can sometimes experience bad effects from marijuana. They may become highly paranoid or have feelings of anxiety or dizziness (N.I.D.A.).
Regular marijuana users often develop breathing problems, such as chronic coughing and wheezing. Marijuana contains the same cancer causing chemicals as tobacco. The amount of tar inhaled by marijuana smokers and the level of carbon monoxide absorbed by those who smoke marijuana are three to five times greater than among tobacco smokers.
The active ingredient in marijuana is THC (tetrahydrocannabinal). The behaviors exhibited by introducing THC to the brain are similar to those demonstrated by alcohol consumption. Marijuana can induce several emotional responses such as relaxation, introspection, feeling “in tune†with the world, and irrationality.
The teen drug abuser attempts to reconcile his basic urges with the demands of reality through the use of marijuana and other drugs. This behavior is directed toward the pursuit of pleasure and reduction of pain. If and when the teen seeks treatment, they are often underdeveloped emotionally, academically, and vocationally (Alcoholism and Substance Abuse, pg. 350).
The use of marijuana by teens can affect school, sports, and other activities; marijuana also affects memory, judgment, and perception. Teens who smoke marijuana on a regular basis start to lose interest in their appearance and how they are doing in school, at work, and at home.
The short-term effects of marijuana include memory problems, distorted perception, trouble problem solving, and loss of motor coordination. Marijuana has a strong odor that clings to teens’ hair and clothing and can remain on their breath despite efforts to mask it. The reactive properties of marijuana aren’t like other drugs. Not much is known for sure about the physical mechanisms of addiction and withdrawal. Some claim that marijuana is totally non-addicting, while others say that it is just as addicting as other substances.
Since the reasons for marijuana addiction among teens are unclear, it is impossible to assess whether or not they may become hooked until it has already happened. Research has now established that marijuana is addictive. Every year more teens enter treatment with the diagnosis of marijuana dependence than for all other illicit drugs combined. Sixty percent of teens admitted for drug treatment say marijuana is their primary drug of choice.
Researchers have found that heavy marijuana use impairs teenagers’ ability to retain information and concentrate. Regular marijuana use has been shown to be associated with poor academic performance. This is of a huge concern during teens’ peak learning years, as their brains are still developing. There is an association between an increase in marijuana use and a decrease in the likelihood of attaining at least a high school education. Students who smoke marijuana are more than twice as likely to cut class that those who don’t smoke.
Teens get a mixed message about marijuana, but the message needs to be clear. Marijuana is an illegal substance that affects teens in many harmful ways. It is very important to begin taking with kids about it by at least twelve years of age. Magazines or newspaper articles are often a good place to start your discussion about drugs. Teens need to be told clearly and often that using marijuana and other illegal substances carries significant health, safety, and legal risks (Kids using Marijuana).

http://www.mediacampaign.com/marijuana/kids_and_marijuana.html (broken link)
Study Study history??????????????????? lost me..................

Old 05-04-2009, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
Study Study history??????????????????? lost me..................
Hopes said I should study history to learn about our laws and I guess the past on drugs. I really dont care about laws and history when it comes to legalization of pot, to me it doesnt change my opinion. And again its my opinion that legalizing pot will make it worse for our youth not better.

Old 05-04-2009, 11:48 AM

2,362 posts, read 5,137,741 times
Quote:
Hopes said I should study history to learn about our laws and I guess the past on drugs. I really dont care about laws and history when it comes to legalization of pot, to me it doesnt change my opinion. And again its my opinion that legalizing pot will make it worse for our youth not better.

And THEY said Oxycotinin was not additive too .. easy pain management,,, Ha Ha Ha

Now Marijuan has a few side effects , Hungry , happy, and sleepy . all those are Triggers to other drugs ,,Hmmmmmmmmm

watch this video

YouTube - Kat Williams - Weed

Old 05-04-2009, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside4ever View Post
And THEY said Oxycotinin was not additive too .. easy pain management,,, Ha Ha Ha

Now Marijuan has a few side effects , Hungry , happy, and sleepy . all those are Triggers to other drugs ,,Hmmmmmmmmm

watch this video

YouTube - Kat Williams - Weed
We all have opinions;some diametricaly opposed.I do not advocate anyone/anyage smoking cigarettes, pot...drinking alcohol.taking pills...........etc.However,people will do these things regardless.......We are saying deal with it realistically.Teach/educate people and regulate.I am all for a civil society.....but not an oppressive one!

Old 05-04-2009, 12:19 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantonluna View Post
Seperate whatever chemicals make it effective, put it in a pill, and let drs. prescribe it for serious issues; real depression, cancer treatment, etc. I bet if you took the 'fun' out of it, a lot less people would be interested in seeing it legalized.

I don't see any reason to put users in prison, but I think they should be a lot less tolerant with dealers. Get rid of the dealers and you'll have less users.

I also think there should be mandatory, monthly drug screenings for anyone on unemployment or any other government assistance. Come up hot, and no money. Do it twice, and you can't collect for any reason for five years and your kids go in foster care.

So what do we do to the people whose urine comes up hot for employment screenings? Do they get their kids taken away too? Or just those dirty welfare recepients?

Last edited by Magritte25; 05-04-2009 at 12:30 PM..

Old 05-04-2009, 12:23 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Quote:
Just one question: Do you have any experience or are you some type of counselor to make these statements???

Hopes actually has years of studies and research backing him up (whether he knows it or not...LOL).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies