Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 02:42 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,253,825 times

Advertisements

In 2006.

I wonder why nobody got as excited back then as today. So far one little boy, who contracted the disease in Mexico, and died in the US is our only death.

I wonder if this isn't another of those fine little crises like Rahm Emanuel talked about not wasting. Back in 2005 and 2006 nobody in government took the trouble to tell us to wash our hands frequently or stay off planes and subways but it was as good advice then as today. Splendid little crisis.

CNSNews.com - CDC: 56,000 Dead from Flu...in 2006 (http://www.cnsnews.com/public/content/article.aspx?RsrcID=47469 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2009, 03:06 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,725,739 times
Was thinking about this earlier today..seems like a case of the "boy who cried wolf". The obvious danger here, when a truly nasty flu strain comes along, perhaps nobody will pay attention.

Sometimes it's difficult not to feel as though we are just playthings for the media & government anymore. I think they get up in the morning and ask...how high can we make 'em jump today?

Old 05-02-2009, 03:07 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,659,127 times
One difference is that "regular" flu mostly kills the very young and the very old, and those with compromised immune systems. Swine flu kills healthy adults who normally wouldn't succumb to a typical flu.

Old 05-02-2009, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtcare View Post
Sometimes it's difficult not to feel as though we are just playthings for the media & government anymore. I think they get up in the morning and ask...how high can we make 'em jump today?
And if they hadn't warned us, you would be screaming bloody murder about it. I'd rather have a calm, rational warning, which is what we got.

Old 05-02-2009, 03:26 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
And if they hadn't warned us, you would be screaming bloody murder about it. I'd rather have a calm, rational warning, which is what we got.
I agree! Also, the media is usually to blame for the panic, not the government offices. I mean, just one picture of people walking around in masks has more of an effect than saying "there might be a flu epidemic, so wash your hands."

By the way, speaking of those silly masks..someone beat me to it! Darn!

[url=http://guestofaguest.com/nyc-fashion/get-your-stylish-swine-flu-masks-now/]Get Your Stylish Swine Flu Masks Now![/url]

[url=http://www.cherryflava.com/cherryflava/2009/04/designer-swine-flu-masks.html]Cherryflava: Designer swine flu masks[/url]

Old 05-02-2009, 03:32 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
One difference is that "regular" flu mostly kills the very young and the very old, and those with compromised immune systems. Swine flu kills healthy adults who normally wouldn't succumb to a typical flu.
i believe the person that died was a 2 year old mexican.

there is nothing legitimate about this scare. in the same time a few dozen people got the "swine flu" millions of other have other sicknesses that are just as bad or worse.

there is a purpose for this scare and its not legitimate.

Old 05-02-2009, 03:54 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,725,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i believe the person that died was a 2 year old mexican.

I also heard that the 2 yr old mexican had some other contributing health concerns as well....

Unidentified and Nancy, I think you misunderstood my thought. All this hype, and nothing really happening (yet, I'll concede) What happens if this mutates further over the summer, and really wallops us this fall? Will anyone be paying attention? Or will they have become complacent, de-sensitized to the "emergency" at hand? And suffer greater consequences because of it?

As far as legitimacy is concerned, with all that has been witnessed in the past six months, let alone the years leading up to this point, I find it more and more difficult to simply accept anything the media, or the government is feeding us these days, as anything but a smoke screen for a greater agenda. As they spew their "information", cause and effect is the recurring thought pattern in my mind. And the direction we're headed in, isnt toward a happy place.

Old 05-02-2009, 04:54 PM

2,917 posts, read 4,765,141 times
Quote:
Source? Or personal opinion?

Old 05-02-2009, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Planter View Post
Source? Or personal opinion?
I've heard and read about it many times.
"A triple reassortant swine H1N1 virus appears to be the cause of the ongoing outbreak, and this virus is infectious and deadly in humans, particularly in people between ages 25 and 40. Why it is causing the death of presumably healthy adults remains unclear."

What's Different (and Dangerous) About Swine Flu? | Britannica Blog

"there have been an unexpected number of deaths reported in otherwise “healthy” adults in Mexico. Usually, flu kills only the very old and young or folks with depressed immune systems, like AIDS sufferers."

http://roomfordebate.blogs.nytimes.c...use-for-panic/

Old 05-02-2009, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
What do you think it's really about?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies