Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 04:25 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,440,298 times

Advertisements

White House Allegedly Threatens Private Groups Over Chrysler Bailout

Chicago style politics, makes it to the Whitehouse…

Establishment Media Is Ignoring White House Threats to Chrysler's Non-TARP Lenders; WJR Interview Transcript

It should not be ignored. What attorney Tom Lauria describes is nothing short of chilling.
What follows is a rush transcription, omitting the intro and wrap-up niceties, of an interview today between WJR's Frank Beckmann and Tom Lauria, attorney for most of (at the moment) Chrysler's non-TARP creditors (audio is here; NYT link in transcript added by me):

Lauria;I can tell you for sure that I represent one less investor today than I represented yesterday. One of my clients was directly threatened by the White House, and in essence compelled to withdraw its opposition to the deal under threat that the full force of the White House press corps would destroy its reputation if it continued to fight. That's how hard it is to stand on this side of the fence.

Beckmann: Was that Perella Weinberg?

Lauria: That was Perella Weinberg.

Beckmann: All right.

Audio clip
News/Talk 760 WJR

Establishment Media Is Ignoring White House Threats to Chrysler's Non-TARP Lenders; WJR Interview Transcript | NewsBusters.org

The Right Side of Life » White House Allegedly Threatens Private Groups Over Chrysler Bailout
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2009, 04:48 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
So I guess this administration's true colors are coming out.

Is this the "change" everyone wanted ?

Old 05-02-2009, 06:19 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,929,215 times
White House Denies Charge By Attorney that Administration Threatened to Destroy Investment Firm's Reputation - Political Punch

Of course, they will deny it.

Old 05-02-2009, 07:34 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Only liberals..

Old 05-02-2009, 07:42 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times
I would say that this is a standard practice no matter what admin is in office. Play ball or else feel the wrath.

Old 05-02-2009, 07:57 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,523,473 times
Lauria said the president saying he doesn't stand with his clients "kind of sounds like 'You're fair game.' In whatever sense. People are scared. They have gotten death treats. Some have been told people are going to come to their houses. God forbid if some nut did something, I'm just wondering how the president would feel."

This sounds far-fetched. If true, I would be shocked and angry, but I don't see why a government that borrows trillions would engage in death threats over 30% of Chrysler debt.

Old 05-02-2009, 08:05 PM

564 posts, read 892,319 times
This is amazing! For anyone reading this I strongly suggest you listen to the radio clip. Government has no business in business. The white house has no business threatening, or using it's influence in Judiciary matters.

People we had better get it together. Tea parties on the 4 of July are one thing. We really need to start putting some protests and 1 am meetings together. This govt is totally out of control. WE need to stop it now, before god help US it's too late.

Old 05-02-2009, 08:12 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I would say that this is a standard practice no matter what admin is in office. Play ball or else feel the wrath.
And you think that business interests aren't attempting to exert their power with regards to thwarting the people's interest and you also think that this isi some unprecedented exercise of the political power of the Presidency?

Tomorrow when I have a bit more time, I will provide copious examples throughout the history of the Presidency.

Old 05-02-2009, 08:31 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,307,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
And you think that business interests aren't attempting to exert their power with regards to thwarting the people's interest and you also think that this isi some unprecedented exercise of the political power of the Presidency?

Tomorrow when I have a bit more time, I will provide copious examples throughout the history of the Presidency.

Along with a detailed analysis of how this fits into the Keynesian economic model during adverse economic times?

Old 05-03-2009, 01:24 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,440,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
So I guess this administration's true colors are coming out.

Scary thought isnt it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies