Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 12:19 AM

4,426 posts, read 5,918,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Well, I don't want to get into a big debate over the Hummer, but just understand that a lot of views about Hummers are based on ignorance. I own the smaller Hummer. It's really just an average-size SUV. There are many SUVs and trucks that get worse gas mileage.

If you're like my aunt, you have no problems with Range Rovers and Lexus SUVs roaming the streets of the west side of L.A., but if it's a Hummer - or really any type of American-made SUV - then the reaction is, "Evil! Evil!"
lol.. I'm just teasing u..
I don't jump to such conclusions... because it is rooted in ideology and not realism...
I think MANY americans drive auto's that are polluting and terrible.. in fact I believe urban areas should be implementing more public transportation options to limit the NEED for automobiles... as it is now.. if you drive a car.. whether it's a prius or a hummer.. while at totally different levels.. they both pollute...and in most western parts of the country it is hard to survive without a car.. and in many it's downright impossible...
I think if we worked on improving public transportation options.. we can begine to start issueing different licenses for vehicles.. where if there is a general need and purpose in having a large gas guzzling vehicle then you are permitted. I think if people can afford it.. then by all means.. but I'm certainly not against making it harder to afford it if there are viable alternatives..
which would include taxing the sh*t out of people who are using such vehicles without just cause (work related issues)
The cost of keeping our infrastructure surrounding roads etc is a heavy financial strain.. especially in states like idaho.. where the population is small, but the physical size is large.. its a lot of roads to maintain.. and the people using them the most and tearing them up the most should be paying for them the most...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2009, 12:20 AM

3,309 posts, read 5,701,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
And for good reason. Rantel is rejected by many in his own party who consider him a deviant because he is gay yet he continues to promote the very people who hate him for his sexuality. If that isn't crazy-making then I don't know what is. A person so out of sync with others\ community is suspect & should be avoided when friendship is involved.
I do not know many people who "hate" gays. I am very, very conservative by many standards and I still think gays deserve all the rights married couples do. I think your outdated notion that Republicans hate gays is ridiculous. This is not 1950. Move into this century, please.

Old 05-03-2009, 12:23 AM

5,032 posts, read 12,608,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Huh? I appreciate your trying to protect me, but who's being anti-social/borderline? I don't understand what you're saying.
If you are attracted to a guy who ends up being a Republican: beware. Do you ever watch HBO\ "Curb Your Enthusiasm"? I remember the episode where Larry David is about to make out with a hot woman until he notices a photo of President Bush on her bed stand. Instant deflation

Old 05-03-2009, 12:24 AM

Quote:
If you are attracted to a guy who ends up being a Republican: beware. Do you ever watch HBO\ "Curb Your Enthusiasm"? I remember the episode where Larry David is about to make out with a hot woman until he notices a photo of President Bush on her bed stand. Instant deflation
Thats what Napolitano does for me. Makes me more appreciative of my wife.

Old 05-03-2009, 12:24 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,665,061 times
Quote:
Within the context of your original question there is no easy way to deal with it. Either cut off the relationship ASAP or try to help your partner to understand\ empathize with others [this is exceedingly hard for Republicans]. Only interested in themselves, they tend not to have long-term relationships & become bitter\ resentful toward their own people.
This is getting surreal.

Cut off the relationship ASAP? Why? Are gay Democrats going to murder me if they find out my boyfriend is a Republican? (This is all theoretical, by the way - just in case there are any crazed gay Democrats monitoring this conversation. Oops, wait. I forgot - I might be talking to one. )

Quote:
I know that Palm Springs has some gay Republicans but remember that "riot" last summer when a Republican woman walked into a crowd of angry gay demonstrating. She was carrying a cross & putting herself in a very provoking situation. That's what it is like for a gay Republican. They can never be fully within the community & often stir-up animosity.
That "riot" was much ado about nothing. Some guys were having a peaceful candlelight vigil when that woman disrupted it and started waving her big cross in everybody's face. It's no wonder they were perturbed. I think I would have been too! It got twisted into "Gay Men Attack Elderly Woman". It was absurd.

Old 05-03-2009, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo View Post
I would not be so afraid to come out as a conservative in Hollywood. Sure, you will be condemned by the always politically savvy and intelligent celebrities like Pamela Anderson, Lindsay Lohan, Rosie O'donnell, Sean Penn, Paris Hilton, Perez Hilton, and many other shining stars. I think its a chance I'd be willing to take.
Not if your job depended on it, right? I recall an article in the LA Times where actors anonymously told a reporter that they were Republican in a Democratic city\ industry & how they literally had to stay in the closet or never work again.

Old 05-03-2009, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
well you're right.. but being conservative or liberal is a matter of what context..
fact of the matter is.. if it wasn't for liberal ideals 50 years ago.. the conservative GAY people wouldn't be allowed to be openly homosexual like they enjoy today..
I think that is what makes people kind of wonder.. it seems hypocritical to be touting the conservative ideals.. when you're the product of liberal ideals...
I understand your point, but don't we want to have choices? How long do you hold a grudge?

About 25% of gays voted for the Republican candidate in each of the past three presidential elections. That's lopsided enough, but it's not even close to the lopsidedness among black Americans. I hope gays are never that marginalized politically.

Old 05-03-2009, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo View Post
Thats what Napolitano does for me. Makes me more appreciative of my wife.
Is she lesbian? She almost sounds like a man?

Old 05-03-2009, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Not if your job depended on it, right? I recall an article in the LA Times where actors anonymously told a reporter that they were Republican in a Democratic city\ industry & how they literally had to stay in the closet or never work again.
You make this easy, don't you? You are proving our point about the intolerance of Democrats. I should Rep Point you just for being so....ya know.

Old 05-03-2009, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
It seems that a lot of gay republicans are socially liberal, but more fiscally conservative and it's just that the fiscal conservatism wins out.

I know one gay republican that takes great pleasure in seeing the poor get screwed.
lol.. Really? Maybe he has a sadistic streak - or he needs therapy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies