Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who is influenced more by religious beliefs?
Republicans 39 67.24%
Democrats 4 6.90%
Both the Same 15 25.86%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 03:05 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,636,097 times

Advertisements

Yes, the republicans have allowed religion - particularily a southern evangelical form of christianity - to over run the party. Where there used to be conservative values, now there are 'moral majority' and 'religious right' infused ideology.
Needless to say, I am not a republican anymore.

Someone asked why Huckabee and Romney didn't get the nomination.
Easy.
Romney was a mormon and according to the southern christians (primarily baptists and again, born agains and evangelicals) the only thing worse then a wiccan or a catholic would be a morman. There is no way in hell those people would allow someone they consider to be a paganist to become the GOPs potus candidate.

As far as Huckabee, the man is a tool with a possible sociopathic douchebag for a son. 'nuff said
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2009, 03:13 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,391,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Yes, the republicans have allowed religion - particularily a southern evangelical form of christianity - to over run the party. Where there used to be conservative values, now there are 'moral majority' and 'religious right' infused ideology.
Needless to say, I am not a republican anymore.
And what has the party actually pushed by policy or law reflective of that religious ideology?

Quote:
Someone asked why Huckabee and Romney didn't get the nomination.
Easy.
Romney was a mormon and according to the southern christians (primarily baptists and again, born agains and evangelicals) the only thing worse then a wiccan or a catholic would be a morman. There is no way in hell those people would allow someone they consider to be a paganist to become the GOPs potus candidate.
Perhaps it was because liberal states (early primaries) created the momentum for a liberal Republican candidate and not religious biases. As a "southern" type of Christian I would have been happy with either Romeny or Huckabee though I have serious issues with at least one of those candidates' faith.

Quote:
As far as Huckabee, the man is a tool with a possible sociopathic douchebag for a son. 'nuff said
Yeah, because candidates' kids are the best way to pick a candidate.

Old 05-03-2009, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahabound View Post
And what has the party actually pushed by policy or law reflective of that religious ideology?
good god man! Did you not watch the Republican convention? God this, god that. I for one have no problem with a religious convocation but this bordered on the ridiculous. And anyway doesn't the phrases 'moral majority' and ' the religious right' ring a bell? The GOP has embraced those labels. Plus, the republicans reasoning behind being prolife and against gay marriage is both biblical.

Perhaps it was because liberal states (early primaries) created the momentum for a liberal Republican candidate and not religious biases. As a "southern" type of Christian I would have been happy with either Romeny or Huckabee though I have serious issues with at least one of those candidates' faith.
You would have been a little lonely, then. When Fox news is having stories about the difficulty of the south embracing a mormon gop potus nominee then you know you have trouble.

Normally I would completely agree with you. In this case the difference is that there is evidence that Huckabee used his office as govenor to save his son from facing charges he mutiliated and tortured a dog to death.
Once Huckabee as a sitting governor actively intervened on his sons behalf in order to circumvent the judicial system then and only then does the actions of a candidates child become a litmus test on the charector of the candidate himself.

Old 05-03-2009, 03:36 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,391,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
good god man! Did you not watch the Republican convention? God this, god that. I for one have no problem with a religious convocation but this bordered on the ridiculous. And anyway doesn't the phrases 'moral majority' and ' the religious right' ring a bell? The GOP has embraced those labels. Plus, the republicans reasoning behind being prolife and against gay marriage is both biblical.
Perhaps you could actually answer the question I asked next time around. Now bolded for clarification.

You would have been a little lonely, then. When Fox news is having stories about the difficulty of the south embracing a mormon gop potus nominee then you know you have trouble.
If I remember correctly, that was a question asked (difficulty with Mormons) or a potential problem but I don't recall the news saying "oh yeah, he's screwed."

Normally I would completely agree with you. In this case the difference is that there is evidence that Huckabee used his office as govenor to save his son from facing charges he mutiliated and tortured a dog to death.
Once Huckabee as a sitting governor actively intervened on his sons behalf in order to circumvent the judicial system then and only then does the actions of a candidates child become a litmus test on the charector of the candidate himself.
And what politician hasn't abused their office?
See red text.

Old 05-03-2009, 03:47 PM

9,405 posts, read 11,153,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Is this a "trick" poll?
Yes.

Liberalelitism is a religion if ever there was one.

Folks who follow the lemming leaders over the cliff regularly suspend judgement and listen to the messiahs.

Old 05-03-2009, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahabound View Post
See red text.
The fact that the republican party is hell bent on restricting abortion laws and prohibiting gay marriage based on biblical leanings of its members is proof enough.
And there were many stories, again on Fox, about the uneasiness surrounding Romneys mormonism. Of course it didn't help that the FDL cult in Texas completely made national news during the primaries. I feel - can't prove - that the GOP pressured Romney to bow out during that time.
And as to your comment that all politicians abuse their office --- maybe so. But damnit, when they are caught at it there should be ramifications to those abuses. I don't care if it is Huckabee or Kennedy the same rules should apply. And that belief is what seperates the true conservatives from the religious nutjobs who have taken over the party.

Old 05-03-2009, 04:57 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,169,978 times
The Republicans by far.

To be fair though, the moderate Republicans usually aren't very religious, but do things to keep their Christian conservative right audience. George Bush waited until he was out of office to say the Bible shouldn't be taken literally word for word.

Old 05-03-2009, 05:14 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,368,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Agreed.

This why their party continue to die and eventually will die.

Wrong again!

"Clergy and staffers of religious organizations are giving more to Democratic campaigns this year, marking a shift from four years ago when Republicans had the advantage."

More clergy dollars going to Democrats | Christian Century | Find Articles at BNET

"Thus far in the ‘08 cycle, 56 percent of religious groups’ and leaders’ donations have gone to Democrats, and 43 percent to Republicans, compared with 52/47 in favor of Republicans in ‘06 and 51/49 in favor of Democrats (!) in 2004."

http://www.thecarpetbaggerreport.com...ves/13919.html

Old 05-03-2009, 05:17 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,368,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
I personally believe Republican views are influenced way too much by the church especially when there is supposed to be a separation of church and state.

What part of the Constitution explains the separation of church and state? I've looked for it and for some reason am unable to find it. Perhaps you could help.

LII: Constitution

More clergy dollars going to Democrats | Christian Century | Find Articles at BNET

http://www.thecarpetbaggerreport.com...ves/13919.html

Old 05-03-2009, 05:25 PM

48,115 posts, read 21,996,081 times
I think the Democratic Party is much more closely aligned with the values of the Judeo-Christian tradition; particularly the teachings of Jesus. Its' attempt to address the needs "of the least of these" e.g. the poor, the sick, the elderly, the stranger; its' empahsis on equality "God is no respector of persons"; its strong commitment to justice; its faith and effort to....progressively building the kingdom of God.

Yes I thnk the Democratic party draws its inspiration from religious values and beliefs....

I believe the Republican party is beholden to and intimidated by religious leaders associated with fundementalist christianity...(its base) ...much the way Iran is beholden and intimidated by the islamic fundementalists. It doesnt up hold religious values it promotes its materialistic callous intolerant worldview.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies