Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 11:57 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,277,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
Not every job is worth high wages. Companies are not social service agencies but exist to make money. Jobs such as Walmart sales clerks were never meant to be careers but a place to begin gaining work experience. If someone is not earning enough money, then they need to look for better employment or update their skills. That's what I did when I was disatisfied with my first job out of college and have never looked back.
CEOs don't have to make 400 times what their workers make in order to "make money." The economy is considerably different than when you--or I--exited college. I paid $150/month rent, and my tuition for a state university was $800/year. People working at Wal-Mart are often people who can't "update their skills." The world doesn't work that way any more. In large part, thanks to the companies whose CEOs have purchased our government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2009, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Then pay what you are required to pay and quit fixating on what others pay.
I'll stop "fixating on what others pay" when those "others" stop whining about having to pay their share.

Old 05-04-2009, 12:08 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,016,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
CEOs don't have to make 400 times what their workers make in order to "make money." The economy is considerably different than when you--or I--exited college. I paid $150/month rent, and my tuition for a state university was $800/year. People working at Wal-Mart are often people who can't "update their skills." The world doesn't work that way any more. In large part, thanks to the companies whose CEOs have purchased our government.
You are missing the point. Based on your comments, would it be safe to assume that you have never ran a business? Whether you agree with a CEO's salary or not is really irrelevant unless you are a stakeholder in the private company. The government has NO rights to tell a private company how much their CEO's can or cannot earn. Most companies, except the non-profits, exist to turn profits and not to be a social service agency to ensure that folks have well-paying jobs. If you have a skill or education that is in demand, then the company will pay you what the market demands. Since just about anyone can work as a Walmart salesrep or stockperson, the value of that job tends to be low which is why those jobs are not meant to be the basis of a career. If the companies are finding a shortage of folks who are qualified to do customer service, then they would need to up the pay to attract more candidates. Community colleges offer classes that can help folks learn new skills and trades and many classes are offered at night at an affordable rate. Yes, it takes hard work and sacrifice to improve your skills and gain an education, but it can be done.

Old 05-04-2009, 12:11 AM

Quote:
I'll stop "fixating on what others pay" when those "others" stop whining about having to pay their share.
What exactly is their share anyways? Is it 50%? 75%? 90%? The top income earners in this country already pay a bulk of the taxes so what exactly is their fair share? Personally, I think an across the board tax of 10% is fair for everyone and it would guarantee that the rich pays the bulk of taxes.

Old 05-04-2009, 12:14 AM

4,657 posts, read 8,711,423 times
Quote:
What percentage would you finally so, "okay, that's enough"?

Old 05-04-2009, 12:15 AM

Quote:
You are missing the point. Based on your comments, would it be safe to assume that you have never ran a business? Whether you agree with a CEO's salary or not is really irrelevant unless you are a stakeholder in the private company. The government has NO rights to tell a private company how much their CEO's can or cannot earn. Most companies, except the non-profits, exist to turn profits and not to be a social service agency to ensure that folks have well-paying jobs. If you have a skill or education that is in demand, then the company will pay you what the market demands. Since just about anyone can work as a Walmart salesrep or stockperson, the value of that job tends to be low which is why those jobs are not meant to be the basis of a career. If the companies are finding a shortage of folks who are qualified to do customer service, then they would need to up the pay to attract more candidates. Community colleges offer classes that can help folks learn new skills and trades and many classes are offered at night at an affordable rate. Yes, it takes hard work and sacrifice to improve your skills and gain an education, but it can be done.
The fact that the salaries of CEO's have shot up into the stratosphere is symptomatic of a much larger systemic problem--and that larger problem is now staring us in the face. You need to stop thinking that it's 1975 and that the same simple rules of acquiring the "American Dream" of financial self-sufficiency apply, and that business operates rationally. It's not, and they don't.

Old 05-04-2009, 12:22 AM

Quote:
The fact that the salaries of CEO's have shot up into the stratosphere is symptomatic of a much larger systemic problem--and that larger problem is now staring us in the face. You need to stop thinking that it's 1975 and that the same simple rules of acquiring the "American Dream" of financial self-sufficiency apply, and that business operates rationally. It's not, and they don't.
I am a little appalled at the greed of some CEO's but unless I'm a shareholder in the company, I have no say over what a CEO earns or do not earn. I am even MORE appalled that our government spent billions of our tax dollars bailing out banks and the auto companies. Just as we don't have a say as to how much a CEO can or cannot earn, we have no responsibility to be bailing them out if they made poor choices.

Most companies that supply the jobs in the US are small business whose owners barely turn enough profit to keep their businesses afloat. The key to getting ahead in the US is to develop a marketable skill that is in demand.

Old 05-04-2009, 12:24 AM

Quote:
I am a little appalled at the greed of some CEO's but unless I'm a shareholder in the company, I have no say over what a CEO earns or do not earn. I am even MORE appalled that our government spent billions of our tax dollars bailing out banks and the auto companies. Just as we don't have a say as to how much a CEO can or cannot earn, we have no responsibility to be bailing them out if they made poor choices.

Most companies that supply the jobs in the US are small business whose owners barely turn enough profit to keep their businesses afloat. The key to getting ahead in the US is to develop a marketable skill that is in demand.
Or to have a fail-safe entrepreneurial idea. I was just thinking the other day why I never thought of something like "AngiesList." Man, talk about a company waiting to happen.

Old 05-04-2009, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Or to have a fail-safe entrepreneurial idea. I was just thinking the other day why I never thought of something like "AngiesList." Man, talk about a company waiting to happen.
Not many entrepreneurial endeavors are fail-safe. When you start a business, you take on a degree of risk that the business does not fail. Business owners often invest tons of their own money and work long hours before a company takes off. Nearly every entreprenuer starts a business so they can earn profits and it really isn't fair for government to be dictating how much or little CEO's can earn. That's the beauty of the US. Anyone who has a marketable idea can turn it into a business. Granted, not every business is successful but we have the FREEDOM to pursue a business opportunity if we so desire and we are not required to have a college degree to run a business, although it is helpful!

Old 05-04-2009, 12:35 AM

Quote:
I've had several ideas for online websites but I just never got around to actually sitting down and building the sites. Man! If I weren't such a procrastinator!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies