Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 12:41 AM

7,359 posts, read 10,278,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
I've had several ideas for online websites but I just never got around to actually sitting down and building the sites. Man! If I weren't such a procrastinator!
So get to work, woman!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 12:44 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
CEOs don't have to make 400 times what their workers make in order to "make money." The economy is considerably different than when you--or I--exited college. I paid $150/month rent, and my tuition for a state university was $800/year. People working at Wal-Mart are often people who can't "update their skills." The world doesn't work that way any more. In large part, thanks to the companies whose CEOs have purchased our government.
I agree. And when people say that certain jobs were "never meant" to be long-term jobs, I think, "Says who?" There's no reason why people shouldn't work at Wal-Mart their entire lives if they're happy there.

Old 05-04-2009, 05:03 AM

2,159 posts, read 2,583,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
Until you wake up next year and learn that you are the "rich" Obama wants to tax.
I am already one of the 'rich' that Obama wants to raise taxes on - and that is fine with my wife and I.

You see, we have 3 children - and we don't want them to be burdened by high taxes paying deficits that were created on our watch because we did not pay our fair share...

And to set the record straight - I was against the Bush tax cuts when he proposed them in 2001 - I thought it was a tremendous giveaway to those who did not need it, at the expense of those who could not afford the higher taxes down the road that logically would follow...

Old 05-04-2009, 05:07 AM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,843,743 times
too bad 50% of americans will pay capital gains taxes in their lifetime. liberals are totally clueless.

Old 05-04-2009, 05:38 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times
Quote:
You see, we have 3 children - and we don't want them to be burdened by high taxes paying deficits that were created on our watch because we did not pay our fair share...
It is a shame you do not understand that raising taxes on people in your tax bracket will not help with the $17 TRILLION deficit that obama is creating.

Old 05-04-2009, 05:45 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
IMHO - Functional government taxes money from then that got it to spend it providing infrastructure jobs for them that do not have it. You wind up with a harder working and more egalitarian society as well as good roads, bridges and schools. That is preferable to a two society state composed of economic princes and poor peons with broken down transport.

Old 05-04-2009, 06:29 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,852,079 times
So, we should all pay according to our ability and recieve according to our needs. Now, where did I hear that before?

Old 05-04-2009, 07:13 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbob View Post
I am already one of the 'rich' that Obama wants to raise taxes on - and that is fine with my wife and I.

And to set the record straight - I was against the Bush tax cuts when he proposed them in 2001 - I thought it was a tremendous giveaway to those who did not need it, at the expense of those who could not afford the higher taxes down the road that logically would follow...
What's preventing you from cutting your dear Uncle Sam a check to cover the rest of the taxes that you feel you ought to be paying? Let's be a good liberal and set the proper example. Come on now ... Don't be a hypocrit. Pay your fair share

Old 05-04-2009, 07:20 AM

4,104 posts, read 5,309,861 times
Quote:
I'll stop "fixating on what others pay" when those "others" stop whining about having to pay their share.

Share (shâr)
n. 1. A part or portion belonging to, distributed to, contributed by, or owed by a person or group.
2. An equitable portion: do one's share of the work.
3. Any of the equal parts into which the capital stock of a corporation or company is divided.

When the top 1% already pay the majority of the taxes, how is that equitable? The bottom 45% pay zero. Are they paying their "share"?

Old 05-04-2009, 07:21 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times
Quote:
So get to work, woman!
Maybe I will over the summer when I have more free time and energy for creativity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies