Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 05:24 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,971,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
Why jump to unsupportable conclusions?

My point was that you shouldn't listen to a total screaming moron like Michelle Malkin for advice on what's legal or not.
Secured loans MUST be paid before unsecured loans. My understanding is the UAW would have preference in being paid back, countering bankruptcy law. A president should not be able to alter the arrangement of previously negotiated contracts.

Besides, the political games played by the administration to blame creditors for simply wanting their money back is silly. Bonds in a corporate giant like Chrysler are not "junk", "high yield", or whatever you else you want to call it. As a bondholder, I would expect to get paid back even if that mean the liquidation of the company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 05:25 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
My point was that you shouldn't listen to a total screaming moron like Michelle Malkin for advice on what's legal or not.
How about previous rulings by the US Supreme Court, which already has ruled actions like this to be illegal? Do they hole enough credibility with you?

Old 05-04-2009, 05:26 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,466,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsmoove View Post
LOL... yeah, maybe you guys are wealthy enough to have invested in a hedge fund... LOL... you guys are too ridiculous for words. I think real Chrysler shareholders would much rather have the company survive... do you know what these hedge funds want? They want the company sold off piece by piece because they will get a higher return than through the current plan. And all they have to do is yell "Unconstitutional" and you knee-jerk conservatives come running like lap dogs.
Actually alot of hedge fund financing comes from pension finds and insurance companies. So spare us the class warfare tripe.

What amazes me is people like you who excuse gov't officals blatantly ignoring established law & trying to take money from one group to give it to their CAMPAIGN CONTRIBUTORS. Corruption pure & simple.

Old 05-04-2009, 05:30 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
Secured loans MUST be paid before unsecured loans. My understanding is the UAW would have preference in being paid back, countering bankruptcy law. A president should not be able to alter the arrangement of previously negotiated contracts.

Besides, the political games played by the administration to blame creditors for simply wanting their money back is silly. Bonds in a corporate giant like Chrysler are not "junk", "high yield", or whatever you else you want to call it. As a bondholder, I would expect to get paid back even if that mean the liquidation of the company.
You are correct, the UAW holds unsecured debt against Chrysler which would be paid after the secured creditors. People bought into the Chrysler company using secured debt as collateral, and due to that security, they accepted lower than unsecured interest rates. Giving the secured investors the boot, and trumping them with whats essentially 3rd or 4th in line is against bankruptcy laws. (along with basic contract law)

Obama cant be stupid enough to think that this would fly, but at least this way he can grand stand and proclaim he's for the unions and push blame on the courts for his illegal move. If he is stupid enough to not know this, then my golly he's surely to stupid to be president.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:40 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times
Quote:
I see. Michelle Malkin - the woman who claims that imprisoning Japanese-Americans in WWII was a good idea - that's who you go to for commentary on what's legal today?

That explains a lot.
I guess you failed to read the attached brief in the second link? Or maybe failed to understand it?

Old 05-05-2009, 12:29 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times
White House Accused Of Chrysler Threats

Confirmation that obama and his band of merry thugs did indeed try to threaten and strongarm invested creditors into a bad deal.

Quote:
The sources, who represent creditors to Chrysler, say they were taken aback by the hardball tactics that the Obama administration employed to cajole them into acquiescing to plans to restructure Chrysler. One person described the administration as the most shocking "end justifies the means" group they have ever encountered. Another characterized Obama was "the most dangerous smooth talker on the planet- and I knew Kissinger." Both were voters for Obama in the last election.

One participant in negotiations said that the administration's tactic was to present what one described as a "madman theory of the presidency" in which the President is someone to be feared because he was willing to do anything to get his way. The person said this threat was taken very seriously by his firm.
Quote:
Not only do they not realize that their responsibilities do not include building business plans for private enterprises, but also don’t include assuming the role of Michael Corleone and acting like organized-crime thugs. Actually, the way the White House made Obama sound, maybe Sonny Corleone is a better analogy … or perhaps Fredo.
Is anyone really surprise? The thuggery of Chicago-style politics.

Old 05-05-2009, 12:34 PM

3,564 posts, read 5,515,554 times
Quote:
I see. Michelle Malkin - the woman who claims that imprisoning Japanese-Americans in WWII was a good idea - that's who you go to for commentary on what's legal today?

That explains a lot.

You gonna address the point made or just be the happy little fella you always are?

Old 05-05-2009, 12:34 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Does anyone know what happens to common stockholders in this situation? Do they still maintain their shares after bankruptcy? If not, why should the UAW get prefferential treatment over those that have invested in Crysler? 55% ownership after NO investment seems like a heck of a payback from the O administration.

Old 05-05-2009, 01:24 PM

4,494 posts, read 7,481,893 times
Who cares about the bondholders on whether or not they get paid back!

Their investments are passive....

Old 05-05-2009, 01:28 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,466,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Does anyone know what happens to common stockholders in this situation? Do they still maintain their shares after bankruptcy? If not, why should the UAW get prefferential treatment over those that have invested in Crysler? 55% ownership after NO investment seems like a heck of a payback from the O administration.
Because, silly, They give the democrats money. Duh!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies