Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 01:00 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,065,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
really? In New Jersey we can not take a tax deduction for sending our kids to private school. How did Arizona get around that? I can't remember if it was Reagan or Bush Sr. that disallowed that deduction by stating that public school was just as good as private school.

I recall that vividly because my mom was Pissed after sending us to private school for the first time and couldn't take the deduction. Needless to say we went back to public school. lol
Tuition is not deductible. Donations are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 01:01 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,258,323 times
Quote:
really? In New Jersey we can not take a tax deduction for sending our kids to private school. How did Arizona get around that? I can't remember if it was Reagan or Bush Sr. that disallowed that deduction by stating that public school was just as good as private school.
APESF | Home Page

You can contribute to this state run fund - and get a tax credit (not deduction). You can designate the contribution be used for a specific child if you want. And, the contribution can be used for any school - public or private

Old 05-07-2009, 01:02 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,637,996 times
Quote:
News flash not only do we responsible parents hold the Unions/teachers accountable but also the school board and the state. Its always the Unions fault according to conservatives, but in the situation with education there is MORE THAN ENOUGH BLAME TO GO AROUND. Too much actually.
No no no...... I was being a tad pissy when I said demmies (in response to pubbies) but really who I do hold responsible are the politicians who are in bed with the teachers union and will not go against them. The same could be said of the school board and in DC those b*stards got away with everything but murder for decades lest anyone accidently rocked the boat.
Now is the litmus test for the DC schools. Their chancellor seems to be trying very hard to route out the corruption and ineptitude but Obama/democratic congressmen seem to be jumping the gun in proclaiming the school system saved. At anyrate, we will see if the democrats (since DC is not a state, I believe it is the US congress that oversees the school system) are willing to back the chancellor even if it means stepping on a powerful unions toes.

Old 05-07-2009, 01:03 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,537,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Tuition is not deductible. Donations are.

ah, i missed that part.

Old 05-07-2009, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
No no no...... I was being a tad pissy when I said demmies (in response to pubbies) but really who I do hold responsible are the politicians who are in bed with the teachers union and will not go against them. The same could be said of the school board and in DC those b*stards got away with everything but murder for decades lest anyone accidently rocked the boat.
Now is the litmus test for the DC schools. Their chancellor seems to be trying very hard to route out the corruption and ineptitude but Obama/democratic congressmen seem to be jumping the gun in proclaiming the school system saved. At anyrate, we will see if the democrats (since DC is not a state, I believe it is the US congress that oversees the school system) are willing to back the chancellor even if it means stepping on a powerful unions toes.

Agreed.

Old 05-07-2009, 01:07 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,637,996 times
Quote:
The charter schools in DC produce virtually the same results as the public schools. Hard to blame that on the union. But what the heck. How many scholarships will you endow? Let's put the money where the mouth is.
How about safety? How many kids are being beaten up in charter schools vs the private ones?
Here is a link to a story that was written only a few months ago by Newsweek no less:

As a reporter covering education on and off for more than 20 years, I had visited a fair number of urban high schools. Yet I was unprepared for life inside Cardozo. Two weeks after my arrival, a substitute teacher was beaten by three freshman girls during an all-school assembly. They were mad because she'd shushed them. Two weeks before I arrived, a varsity basketball player shot another member of his team, just outside the school. The classroom next to mine was thoroughly trashed—holes punched through the walls, furniture upended—after it was abandoned by a new teacher who felt intimidated by her pupils.
Cardozo had hundreds of students, yet the administration decided to lock all the student bathrooms except one girls' and one boys' on the first floor, as a security measure. (Even so, vandals often stuffed the toilets till they overflowed.) The school's fire alarm was pulled as a prank so regularly that students always assumed it was a hoax, including one day when a real fire was set in a bathroom. The school allegedly had a security force, but with the exception of the officer stationed by the metal detector, they were not in evidence. I saw others only once--three of them were hanging out together, in a corner of the basement.
First Person: Life Inside a Failing D.C. School | Newsweek Education | Newsweek.com

So, you honestly think this 'learning environment' is equivilant to Sidwell Friends?

Old 05-07-2009, 01:09 PM

439 posts, read 616,928 times
Obama is crap. He send his kids to private school but tells other's to go shove it.

Here is your change "go back to the crap schools"

Old 05-07-2009, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Order View Post
Obama is crap. He send his kids to private school but tells other's to go shove it.

Here is your change "go back to the crap schools"

What about the other children that do not have vouchers? Should they be given to every child in Washington? Hell should they be given to every child that live in an area where there are failing schools?

Old 05-07-2009, 01:15 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,065,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
How about safety? How many kids are being beaten up in charter schools vs the private ones?
Here is a link to a story that was written only a few months ago by Newsweek no less:

So, you honestly think this 'learning environment' is equivilant to Sidwell Friends?
I don't know how many charter school students get beat up. Certainly some do. How about bringing some actual statistical data. We've seen enough heart wrenching personal testimonials. I'd like to see some facts.

But again. How many scholarships can I sign you up for? Or are you just asking the government to step in and solve the problem? Not very Republican of you.

And I think you could take the class at Sidwell Friends and drop them down as a class in the DC public schools, with a DC public schools system teacher and they would perform about the same as they do at Sidwell Friends.

Old 05-07-2009, 01:17 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,258,323 times
Quote:
But again. How many scholarships can I sign you up for? Or are you just asking the government to step in and solve the problem? Not very Republican of you.
How about the Democrats that support these vouchers? I would think they should pony up to the bar also
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies