Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 07:48 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,083,201 times

Advertisements

You can change some of the people, some of the time, but not all of the people, all of the time.

Just let your good sense guide you, hif.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2007, 11:59 AM

1,408 posts, read 5,088,699 times
My bet is that he'll try to avoid YOU! So you can go ahead and be your normally polite self.

Old 04-05-2007, 01:06 PM

592 posts, read 2,806,082 times
[quote=hereinfla;537245]Yesterday there were a couple of cop cars in front of one of the homes in my neighborhood. As I left my house, I asked a guy who had just walked by them what was going on. He replied, "They went to the house of the black renters. They're probably getting evicted."

What would you have done or said in response?

I think I would have looked solemly at the ground and said "Gee, I sure hope not, we were supposed to meet at the bank and close our deal on my house tomorrow....."

Old 04-05-2007, 05:02 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,171,575 times
hahahha! That would have been so funny!

[quote=Delaneyland;540113]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereinfla View Post
Yesterday there were a couple of cop cars in front of one of the homes in my neighborhood. As I left my house, I asked a guy who had just walked by them what was going on. He replied, "They went to the house of the black renters. They're probably getting evicted."

I think I would have looked solemly at the ground and said "Gee, I sure hope not, we were supposed to meet at the bank and close our deal on my house tomorrow....."

Old 04-05-2007, 05:37 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,623,716 times
I would have said "What're black renters? The house looks blue to me."

Old 04-05-2007, 05:55 PM

23,001 posts, read 34,321,507 times
Quote:
Okay, so here's the way it went-

Two sheriff's cars were in front of a neighbor's house and a guy walks by with his dog. He walks by every day and I have waved at him whenever I have seen him.

I ask, "What's going on down there?"

He replies seriously, "They went to the house of the black renters. They're probably getting evicted."

I answer, equally seriously "Oh, the black's house. It must be an eviction then."

Then he smiles really big and nods his head up an down knowingly.

And then I say, "You know, what you said was really racist." And he just turned around and walked away.

AND, by bi-racial grand daughter was with me.

So the next question is- since I see him every day (he's not a neighbor- lives about a half mile away), what do I do from now on when I pass him. Sometimes I am walking my dog when I see him. Do I just wave when I'm driving or say hi when I pass, just consider that he has been corrected?
It's so sad that happened in front of your granddaughter. But I would continue to do what you have always done. If he chooses to ignore you it's his lose.

Old 04-06-2007, 04:04 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,171,575 times
I'm going to take Ellie's advice and just nod. I think he will apologize to me. (In the little world in my head, he would, anyway!)

Old 04-07-2007, 01:33 AM

73 posts, read 402,804 times
Quote:
Yesterday there were a couple of cop cars in front of one of the homes in my neighborhood. As I left my house, I asked a guy who had just walked by them what was going on. He replied, "They went to the house of the black renters. They're probably getting evicted."

PS- I've posted my response a couple of posts down. But before you read it, it would be interesting to see what others would do.

I might have minded my own business and not asked the guy about what was going on with the neighbors.

I honestly don't find his remarks insulting. If he had said, "They went to the house of the black renters. They're probably getting evicted because all black people are scum." then that would be different. I guess he could have even said, "They went to the house of the black renters. They probably killed someone because all black people are murders."

What he ACTUALLY did was identify the house that the police went to and throw in his best guess as to what might have been going on. What did you expect him to say in response to your nosey question? Tell you that the police had probably delivered a birthday cake or steam cleaned the black family's carpets?

Please don't make the kid paranoid and convinced that everyone's out to get her. You won't be doing her any favors.

Old 04-07-2007, 12:23 PM

452 posts, read 1,131,045 times
I agree ^, I think he was being disrespectful to the "Renters"...It just so happened that the "renters" were black. I lived in a community that when new didn’t have any renters and after about 5 years the government bought two homes and allot of residence ended up renting their homes out. The homeowners that were left always referred to the others as "The Renters" when there was a problem in the neighborhood. You seem to be defensive to the fact that you now have some kind of "Race" issue because your granddaughter is mixed. I think you and the others that have posted on this thread need to GROW up and realize that not everything can be attributed to race 24/7. I feel that you are digging to make this a race issue.

Old 04-07-2007, 12:35 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,355,075 times
I would have been stunned beyond words - literally with a steady growing rage. I would have told the person in no uncertain terms what I thought about his/her remark. It just makes my blood boil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies