Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2009, 08:25 AM

37,959 posts, read 22,131,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
U.S. Court of Appeals Judge Sonia Sotomayor is considered a leading candidate for Obama’s nomination to replace David Souter on the Supreme Court.

I don’t know HOW Judge Sotomayer is going to explain her comments about the Court of Appeals not making law. OBVIOUSLY that is EXACTLY what she believes they should be doing:

Sotomayer: “Because Court of Appeals is where policy is made, and I know this is on tape and I should never say that because we don’t MAKE law. I know…uhm…ok… I know, I know. I’m not promoting it and I’m not advocating it. I’m…you know…uhm…ok…uhm…”

Talk about a “wink, wink, nudge, nudge” moment. Everyone there KNEW what she meant. That’s why they were all laughing. What’s a “wink, wink, nudge, nudge” moment?

Leading Obama Supreme Court Candidate: Courts Make Policy (Video) | Verum Serum
You can almost hear her say: Quick!! Someone hit the delete button; I did not mean to say that out loud, and on camera too.

You can plainly see that she was speaking plainly about what she thinks her duty as a judge is, and then her head about fell to the table as she realized she said it while on camera. She knew she was caught in the act and immediately tried a lame attempt at covering her ass, but knew that it was pointless.

But this is exactly what 0bama wants. He wants lawmakers in congress to be less accountable, and let the judiciary make up laws according to their liberal ideology instead. She's a perfect fit for 0bama, and her Hispanic heritage might get him some votes too.

0bama may lose her as a choice for the Supreme Court, but whoever his pick will end up being, it will be someone who will help 0bama, by making policy from the bench and remake America. After all, 0bama thinks "that generally the Constitution is a charter of negative liberties," and the Constitution "reflected the fundamental flaw of this country that continues to this day."

0bama simply wants to appoint justices to the Supreme Court who will venture "into the issues of redistribution of wealth, and of more basic issues such as political and economic justice in society." How else will they be able to do that if they are no activist judges who will "create policy" from the bench?

for further context -
YouTube - Obama Bombshell Redistribution of Wealth Audio Uncovered
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 08:48 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,971,603 times
Any higher court ruling has the effect of precedent and thus effects "policy" (later court cases) down the line.

Is the Right going to make hay of her imperfect remark? Sure.

But besides the fact the the Right is in the minority and cannot block her appointment they have no crediblity when it comes to "activist" judges.....Activist judges are just judges they disagree with.

They support judicial activism all the time when it helps their side. Bush v Gore

Old 05-05-2009, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Any higher court ruling has the effect of precedent and thus effects "policy" (later court cases) down the line.

Is the Right going to make hay of her imperfect remark? Sure.
This video clip may cost her a seat on the SCOTUS. She seems to be a moderate, level headed judge, but this gaffe of hers may doom her. I hope the US senate looks more closely at her record, to see if she really is an activist judge, and if this was just a bad attempt at humor on her part.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:05 AM

Quote:
But besides the fact the the Right is in the minority and cannot block her appointment they have no crediblity when it comes to "activist" judges.....Activist judges are just judges they disagree with.

They support judicial activism all the time when it helps their side. Bush v Gore
The activist judges in that case were the ones in Florida, making up new election laws on the fly.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:13 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,971,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
The activist judges in that case were the ones in Florida, making up new election laws on the fly.
Oh Sure, the SCOTUS overuled a State Supreme Court who ordered a manual recount.

They were not rulling that Bush had won only that there be a manual recount but the Federal Court came in a blocked the recount ordered by the State Supreme Court.

Thanks for making the case that Activism is all in the eye of the beholder.

....taking the side of the Feds over the States when your ox is getting gored.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Oh Sure, the SCOTUS overuled a State Supreme Court who ordered a manual recount.

They were not rulling that Bush had won only that there be a manual recount but the Federal Court came in a blocked the recount ordered by the State Supreme Court.

Thanks for making the case that Activism is all in the eye of the beholder.

....taking the side of the Feds over the States when your ox is getting gored.
Follow the law, not reinvent the law, no matter a judges partisan political views.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:29 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,933,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
This video clip may cost her a seat on the SCOTUS.
Somehow I doubt it. But enjoy your wishful thinking.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Somehow I doubt it. But enjoy your wishful thinking.
Where did I say it my wish at all? An activist judge is what 0bama wants, I'd rather a moderate like Sonia get the job, then some anti-American nut like Elena Kagan. Have you read Sotomayer's bio, she is a rags to riches story, and her accomplishments thus far are impressive.

Last edited by Wapasha; 05-05-2009 at 09:45 AM..

Old 05-06-2009, 06:54 AM

1,933 posts, read 1,824,313 times
This judge's bio is impressive however there is something about her being involved in the Foster death investigation. I googled and read it on wiki.

I like the thought of another female on the bench.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies