Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 09:43 AM

5,160 posts, read 9,170,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
I don't look up words created by political people. and for your third personal attack, congrats. it actually doesn't make me look like anything not knowing a made up term.
A straw man is a logical fallacy. It has nothing to do with politics. It's simple philosophy.

Way to make your anti-intellectualism apparent in just one post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 09:44 AM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,842,709 times
all posts in a faceless forum are pointless. athiests I have met have all been cowards. perhaps it's just me though. I scare people.

back to the post though. this question didn't belong in a political debate. it's not a political issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
You can't prove either one of the bolded statements, so that makes your post pointless.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:45 AM

4,173 posts, read 6,686,040 times
The fundies in middle east are dragging down the world. The fundies here are also doing their part to drag US back to the stone ages.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:46 AM

Quote:
I simply state facts.
You have yet to back your "facts" up.

And I like how you ignored the points I made (that you can't refute) and just went off on a pointless spiel.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:46 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,093,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTheKid View Post
You should be a comedian, except instead of pointing out the differences between black people and white people or men and women, you can make jokes about differences between Democrats and Republicans. I can see it now...
I dont think I would be very funny as a comedian, talk facts to people and they start to understand, its just not funny..

Old 05-06-2009, 09:48 AM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
I have seen the phrase, but I do not recognize it. like the word neo-con. they are made up terms spouted by people who play the lottery.

Quote:
A straw man is a logical fallacy. It has nothing to do with politics. It's simple philosophy.

Way to make your anti-intellectualism apparent in just one post.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:49 AM

I know. you're right. an 18 year old black athiest knows the answers. you are my new god. can I worship you? are you a "strawman?"

Quote:
You have yet to back your "facts" up.

And I like how you ignored the points I made (that you can't refute) and just went off on a pointless spiel.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:51 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,489,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I dont think I would be very funny as a comedian, talk facts to people and they start to understand, its just not funny..
Facts would be welcome. You've yet to write one fact though.

You know who else blindly followed rhetoric? The nazis.

To finalsay, that's a straw man.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:51 AM

Quote:
they are made up terms spouted by people who play the lottery.

Straw man - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Calling straw man made up really makes your level of intelligence very clear.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:53 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,595,893 times
Question Made up?

straw man
Quote:
n.
  1. A person who is set up as a cover or front for a questionable enterprise.
  2. An argument or opponent set up so as to be easily refuted or defeated.
  3. A bundle of straw made into the likeness of a man and often used as a scarecrow.
Quote:
To argue against a straw man is to interpret someone's position in an unfairly weak way, and so argue against a position that nobody holds, or is likely to hold.
Quote:
A colloquial expression designating those arguments in briefs or opinions created solely for the purpose of debunking or "discovering" them. Arguments so created are like "straw men" because they are, by nature, insubstantial.
The term is also sometimes referred to in commercial and property contexts when a transfer is made to a third party, the straw man [person], simply for the purpose of retransfering to the transferor in order to accomplish some purpose not otherwise permitted. Thus, if a covenant running with the land must be included in the deed in the jurisdiction, such a covenant can be established subsequently by conveying the property to a straw man [person] and obtaining from this person a new grant with the desired convenant now in the deed. See dummy.
To "attack a straw man" is to create the illusion of having refuted a proposition by substituting a superficially similar proposition (the "straw man"), and refuting it, without ever having actually refuted the original position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies