Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I determine/percieve discrimination the most
when I am unfairly criticized, ignored, or teased. 0 0%
when I hear racial, ethnic, gender, or sexual orientation jokes . 6 23.08%
when I see rude body language that tells me they don't care. 1 3.85%
when I am told lies and others are not. 0 0%
when I am retaliated against while others are not for making the same mistakes. 2 7.69%
all of the above point to high possibility of discrimination. 17 65.38%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 07:07 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,293,489 times

Advertisements

Do any of you find the word "gringo" somewhat offensive, when meant as a blanket term for "white people"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 07:12 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,701,855 times
^^I personally am more offended when non-whites use the word "hick" or "white trash."

Old 05-08-2009, 07:19 PM

3,085 posts, read 5,238,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
When I was in Malaysia a couple years ago, I got stared at all the time. To the point where I mentioned it to my friend I was visiting. He told me that they were just curious. After he said that, I felt like a rock star! POSE!!!
Lol we used to get treated that way when I was in the Navy. Some of the natives of the places we'd travel to would wave, others would ask us about America or for money. A few would simply stare. But most of them simply looked genuinely pleased and in awe of our presence. It was a really good feeling.

Old 05-08-2009, 07:23 PM

3,085 posts, read 5,238,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
Do any of you find the word "gringo" somewhat offensive, when meant as a blanket term for "white people"?
Haha "gringo" is far from offensive. They even have restaurants with the name. Now the words they have for black people....different story.

Old 05-08-2009, 07:49 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,564,932 times
I would totally be up for the black celebration day. Actually, they used to have one here in Milwaukee & unfortunately, I believe they stopped it a couple years ago because of violence. I never went to it, probably because of the area that they had it in, but I would go to it if it was in a maybe better area. Not that it would have to be in an all-white area, just something a little more safe.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:06 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,375,135 times
Oh I thought of one - all the hair stores that specialize in black hair products are generally in a predominantly black area BUT they're owned by Asian people. There's one by my aunts house that I won't go in anymore because the man kept following me from aisle to aisle under the guise of sweeping and then when I was comparing 2 different brands of hair a woman (who had been pretending to organize products on the shelf directly behind me) yelled "You no open that unless you pay. U pay first!" I dropped it on the floor (yes I know that was rude but she pissed me off) and walked out.

I mean if you don't trust black people then why didn't you open a store that serves a demographic you felt comfortable around?

Old 05-08-2009, 10:38 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,648,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canerican View Post
Cracker is actually the word that slaves used for their Masters. Since they "cracked" the whip, they were "crackers."

That is what I have been told anyway, and it makes sense. It is pretty much like the N-word, I think that White people can say but Blacks can't. I really don't care either way though.

But I agree, "reverse-racism" has gotten quite bad in this country. People assume that if a White person was harmed by a Black person that it is coincidental, and not racism. If a White person looks a Black person wrong you will have Jesse Jackson picketing your lawn.
Do you have the slightest idea of what you are talking about?

Old 05-08-2009, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post

For example, let's take the drug reps. Why are they always skinny white girls? Don;t these companies believe in any diversity at all?, even in a city that is majority mexican american? Even if you consider that most drug reps positions req at least a bach degree, there are plenty of blacks and hispanics with those qualifications, imo. These are reasons why I'm not convinced that being a "minority" is an advantage.

but to put things into perspective, our ancestors had it MUCH worse. They and other thoughtful ppl really paved the way so that we might lead better lives in todays' society. I don't think that they would like us to dwell on these discomforts when they experienced a whole lot worse.

Dude.......the vast majority of drug reps are skinny white girls. To make it diverse, sometimes you get more voluptuous white girls or skinny white guys.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo View Post
Well, I remember I walked into a Starbucks here in Santa Ana, CA (illegal alien haven). I walked in to get something and these two ladies in front of me gave me the dirtiest look, started gabbing in spanish, then looked at me again. I felt so awkward.

Another time, I went into this sushi restaurant that I have never been to, and everyone was asian. The lady looked at me (as did the customers) as if I had walked into a "white only" restaurant in the 1950's. I felt like I was violating some huge cultural boundary by walking into this Asian restaurant.
I feel so bad for you.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
Gringo is not directed at just white people. It is directed by some Latins at all who are not Latin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies