Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 10:33 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,535,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicos Dad View Post

YouTube - Pat Tillman's family insulted for being atheists by Army

Regardless of what your religious affiliation is if youre a believer or not you should be appalled by this. The military is beiing overrun by a bunch of right wing religious zealots. The fact that Pat Tillman was an atheist makes his sacrifice even more impressive to me because HE KNEW THIS WAS HIS ONE LIFE. HE KNEW HIS ONE AND ONLY LIFE WAS ON THE LINE FOR PRINCIPLES THIS COUNTRY WAS FOUNDED ON. I find it funny that those who are scared the most of dying are those who believe in heaven. Why is that? Sounds like shattered belief to me. If there was truly a place like a heaven I would want to get there as fast as I could. Anyway RIP Pat I remember and think of you everyday. I read Noam Chomsky and am a big fan of his just as you were!

That was a perfect example of anti-American parochialism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 10:35 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,147,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
As a card carrrying atheist I'm going to go out of a limb on this one...

Without seeing the full text of Lt. Col. Ralph Kauzlarich comments, I find his comments to be insensitively worded but not offensive because, in my humble opinion, he is correct.

Parsing his ESPN comments;

"When you die, I mean, there is supposedly a better life, right? Well, if you are an atheist and you don't believe in anything, if you die, what is there to go to? Nothing.

[correct]

You are worm dirt.

[insensitive but correct]

So for their son to die for nothing,

[dying due to fratricide is dying for nothing]

and now he is no more — that is pretty hard to get your head around that. So I don't know how an atheist thinks. I can only imagine that that would be pretty tough."

[not exactly an unsympathetic statement]

Asked by ESPN.com whether the Tillmans' religious beliefs are a factor in the ongoing investigation, Kauzlarich said, "I think so. There is not a whole lot of trust in the system or faith in the system . So that is my personal opinion, knowing what I know."

Asked what might finally placate the family, Kauzlarich said, "You know what? I don't think anything will make them happy, quite honestly. I don't know. Maybe they want to see somebody's head on a platter. But will that really make them happy? No, because they can't bring their son back."

[I still can't find anything to fault him for when it comes to honesty or candor and that is the real problem, his candor.]
Sorry, but atheists don't HAVE to follow rules ....they obviously think for themselves and atheism is a result of that.

I don't either believe nor DISbelieve that at death we are nothing....BECAUSE there is NO proof one way or the other.

Just because I don't believe in a god or gods doesn't mean I have no other beliefs/ideas/theories/wishes !!!!(which are ALL the basis for ANY religion....beliefs, ideas, theories, WISHES !)

I WISH that after I die I could go to a place of my own choosing but LIKE EVERYONE ELSE...it's a WISH

NOT

a fact.

There could be people with many lives or one life....NO ONE KNOWS.

There could be nothing after death....NO one KNOWS!

I also NEVER try to force my atheism on ANYONE EVER...that is the RIGHT thing to do.

Old 07-13-2009, 02:44 PM

86 posts, read 106,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
I cannot believe that an officer would state that dying for your country is 'dying for nothing'.
He deserves to be busted down to private.
Well, dying for nothing depends on if your side won.

Old 07-13-2009, 05:07 PM

8,396 posts, read 9,442,097 times
Thumbs down THE Army insults Pat Tillmans family for being atheists!

Polls have shown that atheists are the most distrusted and despised minority in America. This incident shows us all that high ranking military officers aren't immune fom that prejudice. For a battalion commander to so frivolously dismiss Tillman's sacrifice shows that the man is seriously out of his element. He should be flying a desk in a supply depot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies