Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 06:23 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,321,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
This thread reminds me of the NPR show This American Life broadcast that I listened to a year ago. I recommend listening to the podcast of it.

This American Life

I don't think that poor people should smoke cigarettes, drink or play the lottery on a regular basis. And they shouldn't smoke pot or do drugs at all. They just can't afford it. And the odds of winning a lottery ticket are remote, and all those ticket purchases do add up.
You don't think they should smoke pot?

What if they don't have cable?

You try it sometime!

Last edited by ergohead; 05-07-2009 at 07:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 06:24 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,461,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
My family was on welfare in 1959.

The feds used to drive by and drop off a block of cheese, bucket of peanut butter, flour and powdered milk.

I think this system was also designed to keep prices up for the farmers, rather than dumping food into the Mississippi River.
Sounds like a great idea.

Maybe we need to return to that kind of a system

Old 05-07-2009, 07:22 PM

749 posts, read 947,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
For finding a new tax base, almost every State legalized gambling for the tax revenues it brings in.

Liberals complain that children go without food because the parents buy State lottery tickets.

Do Conservatives complain that smoking pot would keep the parents on welfare?

Would Liberals want welfare pot-stamps for the welfare recipients?

Would this lower domestic and community violence?
Buying lottery tickets is worst. At least when you smoke pot you are guaranteed a high.

Old 05-07-2009, 07:26 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
I don't think poor people need pot or lottery tickets. Pot just makes them lazier and lottery tickets is just more of that thinking that wealth should come without work.

I'd give them free meth because maybe they need some energy to want to get up off the sofa and turn off the television and do something, maybe rake leaves, clean houses.

Old 05-07-2009, 07:29 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,321,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Sounds like a great idea.

Maybe we need to return to that kind of a system
I agree.

Add beans and rice to the package, and those folks would be healthier and smarter than any white-bread suburbanites.

Affluence in America is a disease.

But who cares about health when you've got self-esteem? (Expensive tennyrunners)

Last edited by ergohead; 05-07-2009 at 07:41 PM..

Old 05-07-2009, 07:31 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Poor people should neither be playing the lottery nor be smoking pot. If I were running things, we would have 2 laws like this:
LAW 1: Any person who recieves and soley relies upon welfare, SSI or other government programs to live shall forfiet any winnings in any public or private lottery or other game of chance and be prohibited from playing in such game.
LAW 2: Any persons fitting the description in Law 1 shall also be subjected to random urine, hair or blood test for usage of any drug not prescribed, any illegal drug or any tobacco usage and, if found, be given one warning and then removed from any public assistance program and banned for 5 years.
I sure would not want to live under your brutal communist regime. Why would anyone want more laws anyway? Pizz on the laws.

Old 05-07-2009, 07:35 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
This American Life

I don't think that poor people should smoke cigarettes, drink or play the lottery on a regular basis. And they shouldn't smoke pot or do drugs at all. They just can't afford it. And the odds of winning a lottery ticket are remote, and all those ticket purchases do add up.
Isn't this what Hitler and Stalin did to their people? Did you forget that America is suppose to be a land of free choice despite how much choice the Bush crime family took from us?

Old 05-07-2009, 07:46 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,600,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Your questions are somewhat conusing to understand, but I'll tell you a story. A few months ago I was at a convenience store and saw an obese woman (probably 300 pounds+) using her Lone Star Card to buy food (TX's version of food stamps).

She was in front of me in line and put these things on the counter (and ONLY these things) -

Bags of chips, bags of cookies, candy bars, several of the 12-packs of sodas, etc.

She took out her Lone Star Card to pay for all these items. Then, she asks the clerk for 3 lottery tickets and 2 packs of cigarettes and uses cash to pay for them.

It is interesting what some people's priorities are.
My word! Aren't you a nosey mofo? It's interesting that it's always conservatives or republicans not on welfare that tend to pay attention to what the person in front of them are purchasing and what they use. When I'm in line, I don't look to see what the person in front had and how they will pay for it. I guess I'm not a nosey bee like some of you here. I'm too concerned with placing my groceries on the counter so I can hurry and get home.

Did you follow the woman out the store to find out if she got in a cadillac?

Old 05-07-2009, 08:05 PM

3,332 posts, read 1,963,030 times
Default no hope without dope

simple solution: food stamps (or their like) can only be used to purchase fresh fruit, veggies, meat, fish, poultry, dairy, dried beans, rice, fruit juices, spices, baking from scratch items,cookware, and cookbooks. NO: frozen dinners, cans, ice cream, processed foods, etc etc. you get the idea.

This will teach the recipient responsibility and planning ahead and develop their self esteem.

plus it will help our family farmers

Old 05-07-2009, 08:10 PM

3,332 posts, read 1,963,030 times
Default busy-body liberal shrews

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
My word! Aren't you a nosey mofo? It's interesting that it's always conservatives or republicans not on welfare that tend to pay attention to what the person in front of them are purchasing and what they use.
and how interesting that democrats and liberals are always paying attention to what other people make in salary and then decide if they deserve it or not based upon their own personal inadequacies
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies