Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 12:46 PM

1,242 posts, read 2,459,731 times

Advertisements

Anyone here opposed to gay marriage but in favor of state sanctioned civil liscenses that give homosexual couples the same rights as married couples? I have been in particular favor of this because it seems like a fair compromise to religious groups and proponents of gay marriage who are looking to receive the same benefits as everyone else.

Old 05-08-2009, 12:50 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,461,350 times
Silly semantics to satisfy stupid people.

Old 05-08-2009, 12:50 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,569,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
Anyone here opposed to gay marriage but in favor of state sanctioned civil liscenses that give homosexual couples the same rights as married couples? I have been in particular favor of this because it seems like a fair compromise to religious groups and proponents of gay marriage who are looking to receive the same benefits as everyone else.
Why do we have to take into consideration what the religious people want?

I dont agree with trying to appease or compromise with them. Who the heck do the religious people think they are that we have to compromise with you for equality? Equality is equality no matter what anyone says.

In my opinion, if you dont want gays to be married because of your religion, well tough luck. Everyone is equal regardless of if you like it or not.

PS-Even if they do have civil unions, people are going to call it gay marriage anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
Silly semantics to satisfy stupid people.
Exactly.

Old 05-08-2009, 12:51 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,659,127 times
Quote:
I'd be fine with that. I'm pretty ambivalent about the whole thing, even though I'm gay.

Ideally, I'd like to see the government get out of the marriage business altogether and just give civil union licenses to everybody. Leave marriage ceremonies to the churches.

Old 05-08-2009, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post

I dont agree with trying to appease or compromise with them. Who the heck do the religious people think they are that we have to compromise with you for equality? Equality is equality no matter what anyone says.

In my opinion, if you dont want gays to be married because of your religion, well tough luck. Everyone is equal regardless of if you like it or not.

PS-Even if they do have civil unions, people are going to call it gay marriage anyways.
Because compromise is how things get done.

And marriage, defined religiously is a sacrament by God. While true there are civil marriages done under the courts, no Catholic or any other Christian Church besides a small minority of more liberal Church's would ever allow two gays to marry in their Church. Therefore to seek out this type of marriage is pointless for gays because they cannot force a Church to marry them.

It is better to seek out civil marriages or unions in the form of the courts than in the Church's.

Old 05-08-2009, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I'd be fine with that. I'm pretty ambivalent about the whole thing, even though I'm gay.

Ideally, I'd like to see the government get out of the marriage business altogether and just give civil union licenses to everybody. Leave marriage ceremonies to the churches.

I actually find myself more in agreement with you. Marriage was supposed to be a sacrament, not something to be taken for granted. If people want to receive all the tax deductions and benefits of being married, I think it would be better to get married first in a Church (for those who believe in that sort of thing) and then later on go and claim your civil certificate or whatever you want to call it.

Old 05-08-2009, 12:55 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,461,350 times
Quote:

And marriage, defined religiously is a sacrament by God.
To YOU it may be. Did it occur to you that many may not use your religious views as a way to define marriage?

Old 05-08-2009, 12:58 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,569,482 times
Quote:
Because compromise is how things get done.

And marriage, defined religiously is a sacrament by God. While true there are civil marriages done under the courts, no Catholic or any other Christian Church besides a small minority of more liberal Church's would ever allow two gays to marry in their Church. Therefore to seek out this type of marriage is pointless for gays because they cannot force a Church to marry them.

It is better to seek out civil marriages or unions in the form of the courts than in the Church's.
Religious people are not above gay people.

I am not saying Churches should marry gay people. They have the right to turn them away. If there happens to be a Priest who is ok with gay marriage, then fine. He can bless them.

And no, marriage is not a sacrament of God. If it was that holy, why such a high divorce rate in a "Christian" country?

Quote:
To YOU it may be. Did it occur to you that many may not use your religious views as a way to define marriage?
You know what, PUNK, I like you. :-D

Old 05-08-2009, 12:59 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post

You claim to support equality but at the same time give a royal "*********" to all religious people? have you ever considered the fact you are intollerant? Tolerance is more than Christians tolerating gays, it is atheists and agnostics tolerating religion as well. I am a Christian and I will never say gays should not be together (and I do hang out with gay friends on a regular basis). I just wish people who are not Christians could show the same tolerance for my religious beliefs.

I guess the question I have is what benefit is it to the government to support gay marriage? I don't know if I have an opinion yet, but I think this is an interesting view. We need to think of why government supports heterosexual marriage before we can come to a conclusion on if they should support homosexual marriage. It seems to me the reason heterosexual marriage is government sanctioned is not for civil rights reasons, but because it financially benefits our country. Heterosexual people can procreate and the result is population growth which results in growth in industry and economy. Homosexual marriage presents none of those benefits.

Now, I am not sure if I agree with that statement or not, but I think it is a unique perspective. What do you think?

Old 05-08-2009, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Yes it did but the fact of the matter is that marriage is mostly done through Church's. Yes, marriage can be done through courts as well, these are also called civil unions. You get a lisence saying you are married. My parents got married in this way, they did not get married by a priest or preacher or any religious figure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies