Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 10:33 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,064,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Gee, I hope that none of those women are democrats --- after all, a point that dems kept bringing up during the election was that Palin was a 'bad' mother for being in politics with small children, and a baby no less!
I'm sure that those dems on these boards who railed against palin based on her motherhood would also be against these congresswomen as well. Surely they wouldn't want to be hypocrites, would they?
Just can't get over the repub obsession with Palin , can you?

I found fault with Palin during her CAMPAIGN...dragging her kids, especially a baby, to all her campaign functions for nothing more than DISPLAY purposes.
I never heard, nor saw, ANYONE against Palin because she was a mother and a politician....oh, ya, I forgot...just some right wingers who think EVERY woman should be at home makin' babies and waitin' on their man.

A member of Congress getting pregnant while in office is NOT the same thing at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
Hopefully they won't be introducing legislation to give parents more tax breaks......or trying to force companies to give women paid off maternity leave.
I agree....hopefully Members of Congress will realize they represent ALL their constituents not just the ones they can personally identify with.

Old 05-09-2009, 10:40 AM

1,780 posts, read 3,916,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
I know when I had baby, it colored every opinion I held, and affected every aspect of my life. I think that's pretty typical, so why wouldn't it affect members of congress?

My opinions didn't change all that much, but certain things became more important to me, and I saw things from a different perspective. Child care and education issues hit home because you see first hand what the struggles are like. Some women experience sexism for the first time in their life when they have a baby, that's anothing thing that can influence your opinions.

I don't know why, but something about having a baby tends to strengthen your resolve, no matter which side of the political spectrum you're on. For example, sending troops into war hits you much harder when you look at your baby and realize he might have to fight some day. People with the opposite POV would probably feel a stronger resolve that sending troops to war means your baby will grow up in a safe world.
I think you answered your own question!

Old 05-09-2009, 03:55 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,828,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Gee, I hope that none of those women are democrats --- after all, a point that dems kept bringing up during the election was that Palin was a 'bad' mother for being in politics with small children, and a baby no less!
I don't think people said Palin was a 'bad' mother for being in politics. After all they didn't criticize her for being a governor. There's a huge difference between being a congresswoman and taking a job of vp where you need to be able to step in as the potential POTUS if anything happens to the president.

Old 05-09-2009, 06:42 PM

Quote:
I don't think people said Palin was a 'bad' mother for being in politics. After all they didn't criticize her for being a governor. There's a huge difference between being a congresswoman and taking a job of vp where you need to be able to step in as the potential POTUS if anything happens to the president.
Why would that be different for a woman ? Men have children, too. Men are parents, too...and they have been Vice president and president......???

Palin wasn't ill-equipped to be VP because she was a parent...she was ill-equipped in EVERY other area...

Old 05-09-2009, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Why would that be different for a woman ? Men have children, too. Men are parents, too...and they have been Vice president and president......???
Can't speak for everyone, but I personally feel parents of a baby need to spend as much time as possible with that child. Not to mention the additional needs of a disabled child. Doesn't matter what gender the parent is. Many political jobs are just fine, but I would feel sad to see someone become POTUS while they had an infant, and I feel that when you have an infant, that's the wrong time to run for an office like that. Stay a congressman or a governor for a few more years until the child is older. My opinion, of course.

Quote:
Palin wasn't ill-equipped to be VP because she was a parent...she was ill-equipped in EVERY other area...
Gotta agree with you here!

Old 05-09-2009, 07:27 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,594,977 times
I'm just going to do a blanket post for all of those that got a tad upset with my bringing the treatment of palin into the mix.

First of all, let me be clear -- I didnot vote for mccain/palin and I do not like palin and am glad that she is nowhere near the whitehouse. But not because she was a mother, or that she had a down syndromed baby but because she was woefully uninformed and belongs to a crazyazzed church that has its members writhing on the floor and speaking in tongues.

I brought up palin because shortly after she was announced as mccains runningmate but before the 'outing' of her dds pregnancy people on c-d had entire threads devoted to palin claiming that as a mother to an infant -let alone one with ds- she had no business running for vpotus. At the time I disagreed that was a reason to bar someone from running for higher office and predicted that such an attitude would come back and bite them when it was a democrat woman with a baby in tow running for office. And anyway, it doesn't do the womens rights movement any good to parade such crap theories around.
Yet they continueed to do so --- look up threads on palin on the election forum, maybe there will be some familiar names reaming palin for daring to be a mother and a politician.

Old 05-09-2009, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Can't speak for everyone, but I personally feel parents of a baby need to spend as much time as possible with that child. Not to mention the additional needs of a disabled child. Doesn't matter what gender the parent is. Many political jobs are just fine, but I would feel sad to see someone become POTUS while they had an infant, and I feel that when you have an infant, that's the wrong time to run for an office like that. Stay a congressman or a governor for a few more years until the child is older. My opinion, of course.
And to be fair, I feel the same thing applies to the Obamas. The girls are thriving, but they're older. I would be sad if they had a baby while he was POTUS. That's one thing I hope doesn't happen.

Old 05-09-2009, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Can't speak for everyone, but I personally feel parents of a baby need to spend as much time as possible with that child. Not to mention the additional needs of a disabled child. Doesn't matter what gender the parent is. Many political jobs are just fine, but I would feel sad to see someone become POTUS while they had an infant, and I feel that when you have an infant, that's the wrong time to run for an office like that. Stay a congressman or a governor for a few more years until the child is older. My opinion, of course.""""

With much respect, I don't think you understand what women nowadays are doing. They are as career oriented as any man. And can't let children interrupt the career track, especially politicians...THEY can't just decide to run or not...the timing has to be right and if it is they have the backing of their party which they aren't going to have if they say , "Oh excuse me, first I have to have a baby".
Having said that (don't I sound like a politician?)...I think they're nuts!
Either be a mom or have a career (I'm not talking about a run of the mill job but a career)

"""Gotta agree with you here!
Quote:
And to be fair, I feel the same thing applies to the Obamas. The girls are thriving, but they're older. I would be sad if they had a baby while he was POTUS. That's one thing I hope doesn't happen.
I don't see how having children affects the Presidency?????

LOTS of Presidents had children...

Old 05-09-2009, 08:11 PM

Quote:
I don't see how having children affects the Presidency?????

LOTS of Presidents had children...
You are talking about children, I am talking about babies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies