Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Medicare be phased out?
Yes 19 29.23%
No 44 67.69%
Maybe 2 3.08%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 06:49 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,787,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
More like the young are stealing from the elderly and all grandchildren and great grandchildren and on down the line from all of the spending of the Congress and Senate.
And the elderly tend to vote more than the young so don't go blamin' the young folks......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 06:51 PM

3,645 posts, read 4,926,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
And the elderly tend to vote more than the young so don't go blamin' the young folks......
Not this last election. The young came out in droves to vote for their messiah. The older people are dumb enough to keep voting in the idiot politicians who don't care at all for their well being. But then, most voters are pretty much brain dead when it comes to politics and really don't think of the consequences of their vote.

Old 05-12-2009, 06:56 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,787,921 times
Cato News Release - September 16, 2003

Quote:
And since today's elderly are much better off financially and physically, such large entitlements aren't even necessary. Moreover, the elderly are generally more financially stable than today's younger workers. But as the young are burdened with the retirement of the old, they are forced to forego their own financial planning, creating a vicious cycle.
To fulfill the great expectations held by those retiring today, "the elderly should work more, entitlement programs should be turned into savings-based systems, and the taxation of savings should be reduced to allow families to build bigger retirement nest eggs," say Edwards and DeHaven.
"It is clear that adding an unfunded prescription drug benefit to Medicare moves directly against reform because it puts the program's spending on an even more unsustainable path," they write. "Unfortunately, tomorrow's young taxpayers are not here to defend themselves against the huge burdens that are being foisted on them by Congress."

Old 05-12-2009, 06:56 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
I think as a civilized Nation we have a responsibility to care for our elderly. Its sad how as little as 30 years ago we still revered our elderly. Today we resent them, and wish to abandon them. Nursing homes have become a dumping ground for unwanted parents and grand parents. Thats a sad end for our parents and an even more damning mentality for a nation.
I travel to Asia with my wife where they still respect their elders. Yes they have nursing homes in Thailand but its the exception to the rule rather than the norm to dump ones parents.
WE owe our parents and our seniors more respect than what we currently deliver.

Old 05-12-2009, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I think as a civilized Nation we have a responsibility to care for our elderly. Its sad how as little as 30 years ago we still revered our elderly. Today we resent them, and wish to abandon them. Nursing homes have become a dumping ground for unwanted parents and grand parents. Thats a sad end for our parents and an even more damning mentality for a nation.
I travel to Asia with my wife where they still respect their elders. Yes they have nursing homes in Thailand but its the exception to the rule rather than the norm to dump ones parents.
Very true but the good thing is that when the young now get older then they will find out what it is like to be treated with no respect.

Old 05-12-2009, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Very true but the good thing is that when the young now get older then they will find out what it is like to be treated with no respect.
Very true. I hope they reap exactly what they have sown.

Old 05-12-2009, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Very true. I hope they reap exactly what they have sown.
Exactly!!! And you can bet that they will and they damn well deserve it. By then, they won't be able to get any real good healthcare at all in this country. Why do these people think that people from the countries that have nationalized healthcare come to our country when they have the money and really need some sort of care? Because they can't get it in their damn country. Even the Canadian Supreme Court has said that people die because they have to wait too long for care and some of the elderly are flat out refused care because of their age.

Old 05-12-2009, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Exactly!!! And you can bet that they will and they damn well deserve it. By then, they won't be able to get any real good healthcare at all in this country. Why do these people think that people from the countries that have nationalized healthcare come to our country when they have the money and really need some sort of care? Because they can't get it in their damn country. Even the Canadian Supreme Court has said that people die because they have to wait too long for care and some of the elderly are flat out refused care because of their age.
Well when we usher in the UHC and people are lined up like cord wood waiting for treatment VA hospital style I will still be okay because when that day happens I have an alternate location to live where the elderly are still treated with respect.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:02 AM

8,630 posts, read 9,137,436 times
Quote:
Talking from extensive experience I've seen first hand those who pay very high health insurance premiums per-month in the US received poor care. And not just from one insurance carrier but several. I know of and talked to many who not only had to fight while very ill to get permission from their insurance company to cover costs for treatment but when they became very ill they where fired from their jobs losing their insurance. Oh, sure they picked up Cobra insurance to bridge the gap in order to avoid the "pre-existing clause" otherwise they lose all coverage. Some could not afford the high Cobra cost. Some did and when they were able to work again had to fight the provided group health insurance to cover medical cost that the insurance company claimed was a pre-existing condition even though there was no lapse in coverage. I know several totally disabled people, who could no longer get coverage, fight for years to receive SSDI in order to receive medicare in which they paid for- for years of work in the US for decades. All this I've stated is far from being rare and is in-fact common. The American system is a joke and has been for years. If the private sector can not straighten this greedy, selfish, corrupt system out then the people we vote to represent the Americans in congress better.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:00 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
you are 100% right about most of this, but not all. There are times when nursing homes are the only answer. I can give you one: my step mom lives in Ca, she is 91, her mind is good, but she has many physical problems and needs contant care. We live in AR, we wanted to move her here, but she didn't want to leave the place she has called home for 60 years. I am all the family she really has. Well she has some nephews but they do not keep in contact with her. We have no choice but to have her living in a nursing home, and yes, you are right, it is a shame, it breaks our heart. A similar thing happened to my mother in law. We could not move her in with us when she could no longer take care of herself. Our house was not set up for her, the bedrooms were all upstairs, again, she was in her 90s. I can tell you, there is nothing worse than visiting your loved ones in nursing homes. The best are not good.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies