Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2009, 01:19 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,417,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdude View Post
The Political Carnival: Bill Maher- There Is An Evangelical Cancer In The Military

I was surprised to find that our tax paying dollars are being used to preach christianity to muslims. There was a similar thread in the Religion section about Afghanistan. This video claims the evangelical efforts are broader and include Iraq also. To me, this is scary. I think we need to keep religion/ agnostism/atheism out of the army, else we are in the danger of percieved to be fighting modern-day crusades. Such efforts destroy our credibility as a nation and we appear to others to be no different than the Taliban.

Your thoughts?
if you one sided boobs would have looked into it more instead of going with what one commentator such as bill maher said, you would have realized that the Chaplin after discussing the bibles with the soldier that received them from his church to had out, decided against handing them out due to a rule set by the government regarding religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 01:21 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,477,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Without Evangelicals you wouldn't have much of a Military...
That's probably true. Evangelicals are psychotic violence-worshipers and all-around filth, and those are exactly the sort of people attracted to an imperial military.

Old 05-10-2009, 01:22 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,018,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Do you understand how dicey it is for US soldiers in places like Iraq and Afghanistan? This is not about denying freedom of speech, nor is it about hating christians. This is about the inappropriateness of evangelicals 'spreading the word' in direct violation of military law. And why is that military law? Because the military hates christians? No, because the military is currently embroiled in two wars in places where attempting to convert anyone to christianity is punishable by death. Why instigate more violence against US troops just so that some evangelicals can 'earn their place in heaven' by preaching the gospel? Is that conceit really worth the lives of US servicemen and women?
Evangelicals do not witness to "earn their way into heaven". It is about sharing the good news of the gospel in the hopes that unbelievers can gain eternal life through Jesus. Heaven cannot be "earned", entrance into heaven is only gained through accepting Jesus free gift of salvation.

Old 05-10-2009, 01:23 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,477,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
if you one sided boobs would have looked into it more instead of going with what one commentator such as bill maher said, you would have realized that the Chaplin after discussing the bibles with the soldier that received them from his church to had out, decided against handing them out due to a rule set by the government regarding religion.
What does he want, a cookie, just for obeying the law?

Old 05-10-2009, 01:25 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,018,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
No. Abortion has nothing to do with forcing people to convert to Christianity.

We should stop making them convert. And I am glad the people who did this got into trouble. They deserve it!
There is a BIG difference between sharing your faith and forcing someone to convert against their will. If someone did not wish to hear the gospel, then I (and most Christians) would respect that person's choice and stop sharing.

Old 05-10-2009, 01:28 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,533,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california_is_superior View Post
I'll take it one step further ban evangelicals from this country.
As much as I'm THRILLED with this idea, I think it would be stooping to THEIR level. I'm SO tired of the callers to WLW's America's Trucking Network who keep saying "If they don't believe like us, they should leave the country". This country is big enough for ALL beliefs!!! President Obama has it right, This is not a Christian nation. This is not a Jewish nation. This is not a Muslim nation! This is a nation where you are free to practice your own beliefs. AND NOT RAM THEM DOWN THE THROAT OF AMERICANS WHO DON'T SHARE YOUR BELIEFS. Thank you.

Old 05-10-2009, 01:32 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,391,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
As much as I'm THRILLED with this idea, I think it would be stooping to THEIR level. I'm SO tired of the callers to WLW's America's Trucking Network who keep saying "If they don't believe like us, they should leave the country". This country is big enough for ALL beliefs!!! President Obama has it right, This is not a Christian nation. This is not a Jewish nation. This is not a Muslim nation! This is a nation where you are free to practice your own beliefs. AND NOT RAM THEM DOWN THE THROAT OF AMERICANS WHO DON'T SHARE YOUR BELIEFS. Thank you.
Sure it's not a religious nation at all. A quick review of this Library of Congress site makes it abundantly clear.

Religion and the Founding of the American Republic (Library of Congress Exhibition)

Old 05-10-2009, 02:18 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,417,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
What does he want, a cookie, just for obeying the law?
the OP is missing half the story. the Chaplin said that we must follow the law set by our military and send the bibles back to the states which they were. so the whole entire post is Null, the bibles were never handed out to "convert" Muslims to Christianity. The story was another story to attempt to paint anyone of Christian faith as the bad people. AKA a hate story.

Old 05-10-2009, 02:22 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times
The xian soldiers planned to do it, but their plan got foiled.
We don't have to paint xians in a bad light, many of them do it enough for all of you.

If the intent were never there, the bibles would have never been sent and confiscated, would they?

Old 05-10-2009, 02:24 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,258,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
The xian soldiers planned to do it, but their plan got foiled.?
Is my understanding correct? Your position is you would favor the burning of all bibles?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies