Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2009, 09:45 PM

2,265 posts, read 3,727,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Why do conservatives always think liberals should be tolerant of their beliefs but are never tolerant themselves?

I always see posts on here from conservatives saying: "Oh what a "tolerant" liberal.

I mean, seriously. You all think liberals should shut up and just tolerate your beliefs while you have no respect for our beliefs? Or while you all try to push religion into the government and stop gays and lesbians from marrying who they love?

For one, I know when I say something, people say "Wow. You are not a tolerant liberal."

Never claimed I was. As far as I know liberals here have the right to their beliefs and dont have to bend over backwards in order to please conservatives and be tolerant towards them. This is especially true when conservatives are not very tolerant of our beliefs. You want us to just sit back and tolerate you all when you have no have no intention of tolerating us?

So conservatives, why do you expect liberals to be tolerant when you obviously are not? Where did this whole slogan about "tolerant liberal" even come about?
Liberals aren't tolerant. Actually they're violent, emotional, and don't want to deal with reality. They're also hypocrites and contradict themselves so much they don't seem to realize but we sit back and chuckle because we don't miss it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 09:46 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,260,493 times
i am intolerant of myself others and even those that i cannot find. i am so angry right now at my own hypocracy i will go beat myself up with a pillow this minute. conservative liberal it does not matter i just like getting angry. take that and that.
one minute

Old 05-09-2009, 09:46 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,575,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I just believe in expanding individual and social freedoms as much as possible. People can have all of the opinions they want, but when they want to create laws that restrict freedoms, that's when it bothers me - and that applies to the left and the right.

I have a very strong libertarian streak in me when it comes to social issues.
Maybe this is why I've been agreeing with a lot of your posts tonight. I have a strong libertarian streak in me when it comes to almost all issues! This is also why I have major objections to much of what the Obama administration is doing, and a bit of what the Bush administration did. Both of those administrations did a lot to expand the powers of the federal government, which goes against my libertarian views.

Old 05-09-2009, 09:48 PM

37,953 posts, read 22,062,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I seriously doubt that the main reason why most same-sex-marriage opponents are against it is because of tax dollars. Maybe that's the case for you, but you would be rare. If anything, same-sex marriages raise big revenues for states. This was written by a Republican consultant last year after same-sex marriage was legalized in California:

Same Sex Marriage – An Economic Windfall for California | Fox & Hounds Daily (http://www.foxandhoundsdaily.com/blog/matt-klink/same-sex-marriage-%E2%80%93-an-economic-windfall-california - broken link)

No, the main reasons why people are against same-sex marriage have to do with tradition and their ideas of what is moral and what is not.
I do not claim to speak for all conservatives, it was a generalization.

Personally, I do not care if two lesbians want to get married, just don't expect me to approve of my tax dollars going to support it.

8,762 posts, read 11,558,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paullySC View Post
Liberals aren't tolerant. Actually they're violent, emotional, and don't want to deal with reality. They're also hypocrites and contradict themselves so much they don't seem to realize but we sit back and chuckle because we don't miss it.
Nope. You got it the wrong way around, smart one.

4,906 posts, read 6,836,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I'm actually not 100% opposed to abortion...but I do want to present an alternative stance.
I'm not judging you...I happen to think that the OP could have ended up in a quick flame war, but has turned out in a good discussion for the most part... I mean it when I say that you have represented your side of the aisle well here on CD.. I was merely pointing out that IMO you and UM were doing the same as you had previously frowned upon. More as a reminder that we "all" do it.

14,975 posts, read 16,430,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
Maybe this is why I've been agreeing with a lot of your posts tonight. I have a strong libertarian streak in me when it comes to almost all issues! This is also why I have major objections to much of what the Obama administration is doing, and a bit of what the Bush administration did. Both of those administrations did a lot to expand the powers of the federal government, which goes against my libertarian views.
I suppose I may have the same "streak."

Old 05-09-2009, 09:51 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,836,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paullySC View Post

Old 05-09-2009, 09:53 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,627,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
There was a time, not all that long ago, that in California, there was no such thing as a domestic partnership. In the name of equality and tolerance, domestic partnership legislation was drafted and signed into law in the year 2000. I have not seen that anyone has tried to make this legislation illegal, or to overturn it. Because of the world we live in today, I do not advocate overturning California's domestic partnership legislation, even though my views on domestic partnerships might suggest otherwise.
jdavid, I appreciate all of your thoughts. My comments weren't California-specific, however. I was thinking about the many states who have not only outlawed same-sex marriage, but also civil unions. A couple of states (Michigan and Virginia) went as far as to say that same-sex couples may not enter into unions of any kind. So that's what I was referring to.

There's a great map at this link that shows you the status of same-sex unions across the country:

File:Samesex marriage in USA.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (Scroll down a bit for the color-legend.)

Old 05-09-2009, 09:56 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,575,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
You cannot prove religion though. It is all belief. I believe it is much better to vote based on logic and reasoning. That goes to the liberals by far. I dont see why anyone would base their political beliefs from a religion.

All religions are equal in my eyes. Makes me more tolerant than so many conservatives already.

All people are equal in my eyes-regardless of their race or sexual orientation. Makes me so much more tolerant than so many conservatives already.
One problem I have with many liberals is they feel that because you can't prove religion, as you stated, you should not teach anything that is based on religion. The premier example of this is Intelligent Design. The premise of Intelligent Design is that the universe, and the life in it, was created by an intelligent being. For many people, that being is who they call God. The concept of Intelligent Design does not establish any particular religion, though it acknowledges a supreme being.

On the other hand, "science" has given us the theory of Evolution. Like Intelligent Design, Evolution also cannot be proven. Yet, these same liberals that don't want Intelligent Design taught in our schools are in favor of teaching Evolution, another unproven theory.

Can you explain to me why these liberals permit this hypocrisy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies