Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 04:00 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,573,373 times

Advertisements

Why do conservatives always think liberals should be tolerant of their beliefs but are never tolerant themselves?

I always see posts on here from conservatives saying: "Oh what a "tolerant" liberal.

I mean, seriously. You all think liberals should shut up and just tolerate your beliefs while you have no respect for our beliefs? Or while you all try to push religion into the government and stop gays and lesbians from marrying who they love?

For one, I know when I say something, people say "Wow. You are not a tolerant liberal."

Never claimed I was. As far as I know liberals here have the right to their beliefs and dont have to bend over backwards in order to please conservatives and be tolerant towards them. This is especially true when conservatives are not very tolerant of our beliefs. You want us to just sit back and tolerate you all when you have no have no intention of tolerating us?

So conservatives, why do you expect liberals to be tolerant when you obviously are not? Where did this whole slogan about "tolerant liberal" even come about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 04:05 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,843,743 times
two way street. look at the way miss california has been treated.

Old 05-09-2009, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
two way street. look at the way miss california has been treated.
Sure. I agree. Miss California has the right to be for "opposite marriage".

But why do Liberals have to be the ones who are tolerant?

Old 05-09-2009, 04:09 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,538,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Sure. I agree. Miss California has the right to be for "opposite marriage".

How exactly have certain liberals been tolerant of her viewpoint? She was the one that said something to the extent of "that is what makes the USA great, that you have a choice, but for HER, she believes it is between a man and a woman".

Is that not the extent of what she said? And then she got absolutely pummeled.

Obviously there are specific examples everywhere, on BOTH sides, so it's a bit ridiculous to frame it like you did. There are people on both sides who aren't going to be tolerant, yet there are people on both sides that are very tolerant. Im pretty sure the only place you run into this "tolerance" problem is on internet message boards.

Old 05-09-2009, 04:11 PM

1,515 posts, read 3,332,506 times
Ehhh... Generalize a bit?

The reason Conservatives say that is because for years Liberals have preached "tolerance for all." But there seems to be a disclaimer when it comes to all things Conservative.

Now I don't think all Liberals are the same, some are very well founded in their beliefs and can articulate very well why they believe what they believe. Others just shout, "TOLERANCE!" Every time a Conservative says anything critical of something that they hold dear.

I think that you should clarify your title so it can accurately reflect the truth,

Quote:
Why do conservatives sometimes think liberals should be tolerant of their beliefs but aren't always tolerant themselves?

If you rephrase it, you might actually get some decent responses, and not the incoming flamewar. (Unless you intended to cause a big stupid argument?)

Old 05-09-2009, 04:12 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bls5555 View Post
How exactly have certain liberals been tolerant of her viewpoint? She was the one that said something to the extent of "that is what makes the USA great, that you have a choice, but for HER, she believes it is between a man and a woman".

Is that not the extent of what she said? And then she got absolutely pummeled.

Obviously there are specific examples everywhere, on BOTH sides, so it's a bit ridiculous to frame it like you did.
Well, WHO pummelled her? I understand it was the judges at the pageant.

Old 05-09-2009, 04:13 PM

1,515 posts, read 3,332,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post

We all have to be tolerant (i.e. we can't silence those who disagree with us).

We don't all have to accept things that are clearly wrong (gay marriage, abortion)

Conservatives are generally tolerant, as are Liberals, it is the acceptance part where we have differences. And I think that that is fine.

Old 05-09-2009, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canerican View Post
We all have to be tolerant (i.e. we can't silence those who disagree with us).

We don't all have to accept things that are clearly wrong (gay marriage, abortion)

Conservatives are generally tolerant, as are Liberals, it is the acceptance part where we have differences. And I think that that is fine.
Whenever I say I am pro choice, I am told I am pro abortion or a baby murderer. To me, abortion really does not bother me. It is the woman choice. I dont think you should say it is clearly wrong. Same with gay marriage.

I do think liberals are more tolerant than conservatives ever will be but it is just so funny when people here label as baby killers or pedophiles (How gay marriage equals little boys is beyond me), thats when I laugh. Then these same people post "Tolerant liberal."

LOL. What?

Old 05-09-2009, 04:18 PM

5,341 posts, read 4,429,096 times
Miss California was mentioned as an example. She is not the topic of this thread. Please stay on track here.

With that said, the original topic could quickly disintegrate into a flame war. Please be mindful of the TOS and know that I will not hesitate to close this,without warning) if it takes a downward spiral.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do NOT reply to moderator posts that are in RED.

Old 05-09-2009, 04:19 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
Not all conservatives do it, first of all. There are many thoughtful conservatives here on this board who know how to have a debate.

Unfortunately, there are others who don't know how to have a debate. They can't come up with a decent explanation for their positions, so they come up with meaningless lines like, "I thought liberals were supposed to be tolerant", or "Why are you trying to shut down free speech?" I guess they think that being liberal means we're not allowed to voice our opinions.

I'm all for free speech, and I don't condemn people for saying what they believe, but we have a right to an opinion too.

What's really bad is when they want to codify their beliefs into law, and then tell us that we're being "intolerant" if we disagree with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies