Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 12:01 PM

3,857 posts, read 4,214,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
If those kids had hurt themselves on that property the owners might have been sued.

The owners had no choice but to shoot them.
OMG! You did not really say that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I don't believe any state allows use of deadly force to defend against someone who is merely trespassing actually.

The "stand your ground" and "castle doctrine" laws do NOT; that is a common misconception.
That that is probably why those two believed they could shoot the people they thought were trespassing!

Texas really had some very strange thinking and laws. Florida is crazy for sure, but Texas has us beat by miles and miles and miles.

Old 05-10-2009, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by booker_one View Post
isn't it something? and now we texans have all these dumba$$es from other states flocking here because our economy is fine and we haven't screwed up our state like most liberal states. there is no telling how many californians are flocking here. i feel like getting my gun and protecting our western border just as much as our southern border. they all just want to come here to screw up our state i guess.
Just fyi, there is not enough money in the UNIVERSE to pay me to live in Texas.

Old 05-10-2009, 12:31 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times
Many states provide for property owners to take action, including use of deadly force, to stop trespassing. Now, the use of deadly force provisions are few and far between but, detaining trespassers and then having law enforcement take them away is quite common.

Old 05-10-2009, 12:37 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,628,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
Many times on this board I read about various controversies that involve the state of Texas.

They want to suceed from the union.
Dragging a black person behind trucks.
Police robbing black and other minorities.

How do you feel justified to go out your door with a shogun, a 12 gauge shotgun and just shot people because you believed they trespassed??

The shooters were threatened in absolutely no way.

What is the issue with Texans!

Texas boy, 7, dies after shot in mistaken trespass | Comcast.net (http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-national/20090509/US.Off.Road.Shooting/ - broken link)
There is not an issue with Texans. Yes we have some morons, and wherever you reside there are morons too. If you tell me where you live, I would bet that I could spend 20 minutes on google and find dozens of absurd things going on where you are at.

Lets run through your examples though, shall we?

Rick Perry made an ignorant comment about Washington's ridiculous overgrowth of government. Wow. A governor saying something stupid. First time ever I bet.

Next: The infamous dragging death of James Byrd that ignorant outsiders like to use to point at Texas as proof of their racism. Lets go over the facts.

The entire town of Jasper was completely outraged and blacks and whites stood together in denouncement of this grizzly and heinous crime.

The 3 men involved were arrested swiftly. They were tried in Jasper by a jury made up of all whites except one, the foreman of the jury was black and handed down the guilty verdict after a very brief deliberation. 2 of the 3 men were sentenced to death, the other was the driver who evidence could not prove he did anything other than drive, and he still got a life sentence even though a lot of both blacks and whites wanted him to get the death penalty as well.

2 years later, Rick Perry signed hate crime legislation into law for TX.

It is said that John Williams King joined the white supremacists group after getting out of prison where he was gang raped repeatedly by groups of black men. No condoning his actions against Byrd, but this wasn't just some guy who grew up hating black people. There was an underlying issue that caused him to become a bitter racists and sadly he chose to become as disgusting as those who violated him and violate James Byrd as some sick retaliation against black men. He will now die on TX death row for his crimes.

Police robbing blacks and other minorities?
When? Where? Haven't heard that one yet, but I wouldn't be surprised as there are some cops who do not deserve to wear a badge. I doubt they only preyed on minorities. My white brother was arrested by a hispanic Dallas cop a few years back for a simple traffic violation where my brother upsettedly told the cop to hurry up if he was going to write a ticket. The cop proceeded to get him out of his care and book him, and told him on the way to jail that he would figure out what he was going to charge him with by the time they got there. Cost my brother $1500 total, we filed charges against the cop, and of course nothing happened. Crooked cops are of all races.

Old 05-10-2009, 12:50 PM

773 posts, read 1,215,121 times
The Muhs need to be severely punished. Their are no grounds for their defense of trespassing as an excuse for killing someone. If one extends property as autonomy through labour, the fact that the area was not fenced off or demarcated with property markers set by the Muhs, should to any sensible observer, be obvious that the trail which was previous created and used by others, was open for use. Since no reasonable attempt was made by the property owner in this case the subdivision, to declare the area off limits, the property could be logically inferred to as abandoned.
Which begs the question why should any reasonable person believe they can not hike, trail, or in this case off-road, when their was evidence in the past of such activity and nothing to suggest such activity wasn't permitted?.
Any claim by the Muhs that they bare responsibility for the land and application of law as such is nonsense. Where is the evidence of force or agression even under their false understanding of Lockian property rights? The simple act of trespass shows no intent of harm in this case, and even if they were trespassing the correct response would be to tell them to leave, not harm them.
All said and done, this proves ever more the reason why people should be armed when finding themselves on public property. Mr. Coffey may have been able to take the Muhs out before they shot the remaining family members.

Old 05-10-2009, 01:04 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,318,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmastersteve View Post
The Muhs need to be severely punished. Their are no grounds for their defense of trespassing as an excuse for killing someone. If one extends property as autonomy through labour, the fact that the area was not fenced off or demarcated with property markers set by the Muhs, should to any sensible observer, be obvious that the trail which was previous created and used by others, was open for use. Since no reasonable attempt was made by the property owner in this case the subdivision, to declare the area off limits, the property could be logically inferred to as abandoned.
Which begs the question why should any reasonable person believe they can not hike, trail, or in this case off-road, when their was evidence in the past of such activity and nothing to suggest such activity wasn't permitted?.
Any claim by the Muhs that they bare responsibility for the land and application of law as such is nonsense. Where is the evidence of force or agression even under their false understanding of Lockian property rights? The simple act of trespass shows no intent of harm in this case, and even if they were trespassing the correct response would be to tell them to leave, not harm them.
All said and done, this proves ever more the reason why people should be armed when finding themselves on public property. Mr. Coffey may have been able to take the Muhs out before they shot the remaining family members.
Now, wouldn't THAT be a legal hassle?

Defending yourself from an armed attack if you were inadvertently on someone else's property.

Old 05-10-2009, 01:16 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,318,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Many states provide for property owners to take action, including use of deadly force, to stop trespassing. Now, the use of deadly force provisions are few and far between but, detaining trespassers and then having law enforcement take them away is quite common.
Coming on shift one day at the lab, a 22 year old female security guard was jubilant because she had just passed her security guard orientation/exam.

When she spotted me and an older guard talking, she came up and asked us if it was OK to shoot scientists if they were running on campus, because she didn't know if she answered that question correctly.

We told her NO! - Just observe and report.

So, the question to you is: Should security guards at public facilities be able to shoot and kill perceived trespassers as easily as some folks on this thread think it is OK for a person on his own private property to do?

In other words, anyone think there is, or should be, a different standard for protecting personal property vs public property?

And, how about Corporate property?

I especially want to hear from you Texans.

Last edited by ergohead; 05-10-2009 at 01:38 PM..

Old 05-10-2009, 01:24 PM

4,183 posts, read 6,523,345 times
That's why abortion should be banned. That way, kids can grow up and then we can shoot them when they're 7 years old.

Old 05-10-2009, 01:35 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times
Depends on State Law
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies