Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the Patriot Act be repealed?
Yes 54 78.26%
No 12 17.39%
It should be tweaked 3 4.35%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 10:24 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,395,045 times

Advertisements

There have been several recent threads on the Patriot Act, albeit based on a false assumption that the Patriot Act was responsible for certain arrests. I've decided to do a poll and see how many approve/disapprove.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 10:27 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,293,101 times
It is a dangerous and ill researched piece of law.
It has allowed our police agencies an unprecedented level of intrusion into the daily lives of the average joe six pack.

and this from a retired copper.

Do away with it.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:28 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,932,966 times
you forgot the "h**l yeah" option in your poll.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:44 AM

1,515 posts, read 3,318,683 times
The irony is that most people who want the PATRIOT ACT repealed have no clue what it does, for example, before the Act, people were money laundering using Money Orders, because no one bank had to keep records of where money go to or coming from. In other words, using Money Orders, a terrorist could receive money from the US and tracking the source would be nearly impossible.

Some rights given in the Act were perhaps too broad, but in all honesty, if the US government needs to eavesdrop on my phone conversation that is fine by me, I would prefer a CIA operative know that I am calling my grandmother to say hi than have a terrorist making plans, and have no way of finding out.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:44 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,395,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
you forgot the "h**l yeah" option in your poll.
Damn.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:54 AM

26,212 posts, read 19,414,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
There have been several recent threads on the Patriot Act, albeit based on a false assumption that the Patriot Act was responsible for certain arrests. I've decided to do a poll and see how many approve/disapprove.
You cant repeal it, the crescendo from rightwing nutjobs at the next terrorist attack would be never ending in demanding we reinstate it. Save them the trouble and just keep it. And make sure you tell 'em no one is coming to take their guns away, they can keep their rifles and ammunition

Old 05-10-2009, 10:57 AM

806 posts, read 2,950,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
You cant repeal it, the crescendo from rightwing nutjobs at the next terrorist attack would be never ending in demanding we reinstate it. Save them the trouble and just keep it. And make sure you tell 'em no one is coming to take their guns away, they can keep their rifles and ammunition
I want to keep guns and repeal the Patriot Act.. Why did you even bring guns into this conversation about the Patriot Act?

America is about freedom.. guns included.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:59 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,289,613 times
I can't believe anyone would say no.

Old 05-10-2009, 11:01 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,336,828 times
IDK, it has some very important things in it and some that are just downright scary. Remember it does have provisions to protect the infrastructure, which has been well stated that it will be the biggest threat to America if infiltrated because of our completel reliance on electronics and electricity. I do know it will be the most powerful tool ever created for our future dictatorship, whoever that may be. The next thing after tools like this is propaganda machines know as news sources and the biggest of companies in America advising the White House, thankfully we haven't gotten that far yet.

Old 05-10-2009, 11:10 AM

26,212 posts, read 19,414,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSU Tiger Z71 View Post
I want to keep guns and repeal the Patriot Act.. Why did you even bring guns into this conversation about the Patriot Act?

America is about freedom.. guns included.
"The Patriot Act" was one of the most intrusive and repressive pieces of legislation ever to appear before Congress. As was the Military Commissions Act.

Both passed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies