Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 11:55 AM

3,196 posts, read 5,377,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Texas is so darn big it has to be diverse. A friend of ours worked in Huston for a few years and his family lived in Galveston. He called Huston seven oil refineries in a swamp. Molly Ivan’s Hill country is an entirely different world.

The Democratic Dixicrat conservatives (racists) moved wholesale to the Republicans when Johnson signed the Voting Rights Act. This brought Texas, with all its electoral votes, into the RED zone. As these diehard racists die off, Texas will gradually return to the BLUE side with a respect for individual freedom and responsible government.
So you are saying that Texas is predominantly a Republican state BECAUSE the majority of voters are racist? ---(I'm just trying to get your statement right.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2009, 12:50 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,903,733 times
Love Austin! One of my favorite cities in the country

Old 05-15-2009, 01:00 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,568,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
I don't think you would've liked too many of the Texas Democrats back when Texas was solid Blue - they were just as "bible belt" as their GOP counterparts today. For that matter I don't think you'd be fond of many Texas Democrats today - many of them resemble Mike Huckabee in their views.

If you think Texas was more "enlightened" when it was Dem, I urge you to Google the following names: John Nance Garner, Coke Stevenson, Beau Jester, Allan Shivers, Price Daniel....the list goes on and on.

What happened in Texas was that the Texas establishment switched from being Dems to being Republicans gradually. Texas went from a solid Dem state to a Dem state that voted GOP in presidential elections to a swing state to a red state.
Yes, you are correct [ie. "Dixiecrats"] but all those people are now Republican. The Democrats who are the majority in Texas' large cities are not "Dixiecrats" & voted for Obama. The number of Democrats are increasing while Republicans continue to decrease in Texas. It's just a matter of time [and not far off before the next Texas governor is Democratic

Old 05-15-2009, 01:33 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,793,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Texas is so darn big it has to be diverse. A friend of ours worked in Huston for a few years and his family lived in Galveston. He called Huston seven oil refineries in a swamp. Molly Ivan’s Hill country is an entirely different world.

The Democratic Dixicrat conservatives (racists) moved wholesale to the Republicans when Johnson signed the Voting Rights Act. This brought Texas, with all its electoral votes, into the RED zone. As these diehard racists die off, Texas will gradually return to the BLUE side with a respect for individual freedom and responsible government.

Don't agree with your last sentence. The left has a politically correct/nanny state side that is a great threat to individual freedom. In fact they are downright hostile to any speech or thoughts that go against their PC agenda.

I also disagree with Dems being associated with responsible government. Deficit spending is not responsible. Plenty of Reps could improve in this area as well.

Old 05-15-2009, 01:47 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,377,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
I also disagree with Dems being associated with responsible government. Deficit spending is not responsible. .
Democrats under Clinton reduced the federal deficit.

Republicans under Bush and Reagon did not merely increase the deficit--they exploded it.

The economic and budetary problems that Obama is dealing with now, were part of the Bush's (Republican) administration.

So, tell me, who is more conservative: the "tax and spend" republicans, or the "pay off the debts" democrats?

Old 05-15-2009, 01:57 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,683,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
Democrats under Clinton reduced the federal deficit.

Republicans under Bush and Reagon did not merely increase the deficit--they exploded it.

The economic and budetary problems that Obama is dealing with now, were part of the Bush's (Republican) administration.

So, tell me, who is more conservative: the "tax and spend" republicans, or the "pay off the debts" democrats?
Ok. Clinton is not in office anymore. He was a good fiscal president in my opinion. Bush was not fiscally responsible, but neither is Obama. I don't think you can pin a democrat or republican lable to fiscal responsibility anymore folks.

Old 05-15-2009, 04:12 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,270,232 times
As a Native Texan I love it,if you don't tell some one who cares.

Old 05-15-2009, 04:20 PM

26,212 posts, read 19,414,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Non-Texans, what is your view of our state, especially after Perry's secession rant?

Have other recent TX-related controversies, such as the boy being shot and the polygamist sect, also influenced your perception in any way? How about President Bush?

Quite honestly, I find Texans to be a special breed of stupid.

Old 05-15-2009, 04:22 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,472,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
Yes, you are correct [ie. "Dixiecrats"] but all those people are now Republican. The Democrats who are the majority in Texas' large cities are not "Dixiecrats" & voted for Obama. The number of Democrats are increasing while Republicans continue to decrease in Texas. It's just a matter of time [and not far off before the next Texas governor is Democratic
You won't find any rabid fire-eating racist Dems in Texas anymore - they either switched parties or died off - but there are still Dixiecrats of a more moderate type, like Chet Edwards of Waco and Henry Cuellar of Laredo, both conservative Dem Congressmen in the Texas Democratic tradition. There are assuredly others in the Texas Legislature and in local governments. Obviously they're not coming from Austin or increasingly liberal Dallas. And yes I know not only Austin, Dallas, and San Antonio, but even Houston voted for Obama.

Old 05-15-2009, 04:22 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,270,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Quite honestly, I find Texans to be a special breed of stupid.

Ahh class something not to common around your parts I see. Funny I don't think your best day you could get into some of the state college in Texas.

Also, I have been to central Illinois and I wouldn't be attacking Texans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies