U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Should ACORN Receive Federal Money?
Yes 5 10.87%
No 39 84.78%
Other 1 2.17%
Not Sure 1 2.17%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-11-2009, 07:52 AM

4,067 posts, read 3,282,707 times

Advertisements

The WSJ article includes this:
"On Monday, Nevada officials charged Acorn, its regional director and its Las Vegas field director with submitting thousands of fraudulent voter registration forms last year. Larry Lomax, the registrar of voters in Las Vegas, says he believes 48% of Acorn's forms "are clearly fraudulent." On Thursday, prosecutors in Pittsburgh, Pa., also charged seven Acorn employees with filing hundreds of fraudulent voter registrations before last year's general election."
According to Wikipedia:
"Electoral fraud is illegal interference with the process of an election. Acts of fraud tend to involve affecting vote counts to bring about a desired election outcome, whether by increasing the vote share of the favored candidate, depressing the vote share of the rival candidates, or both. Exactly what constitutes electoral fraud under law varies from country to country; methods which are illegal in one country may not be in another. Many kinds of voter fraud are outlawed in specific electoral legislation, but others are in violation of more general laws such as those banning assault, harassment or libel. Although technically the term 'electoral fraud' covers only those acts which are specifically illegal, the term is sometimes used to describe acts which, although legal, are considered to be morally unacceptable, outside the spirit of electoral laws or in violation of the principles of democracy. Show elections, in which only one candidate has a real chance of winning, are sometimes considered to be electoral fraud although they may comply fully with local laws."
I believe that there were (are?) a number of people working for ACORN who submitted fraudulent voter registration forms. If any of these registration forms actually resulted in votes cast in an election, that - to my mind - is voter fraud. The fraudulent voter registration forms by themselves serve as evidence of fraud against ACORN by ACORN employees.

The WSJ article goes on to say:
"But Catherine Cortez Masto, Nevada's Democratic Attorney General, told the Las Vegas Sun that Acorn itself is named in the criminal complaint. She says that Acorn's training manuals "clearly detail, condone and . . . require illegal acts," such as requiring its workers to meet strict voter-registration targets to keep their jobs."
And if this is true - that a quota system set up by ACORN is so unrealistic as to force its employees to falsify records - then yes, ACORN should be held responsible, and their training manuals/methods should be corrected.

However, unless specific fraudulent voter registration forms can be linked conclusively to specific (and therefore fraudulent) votes cast, I don't believe that this is a case of voter fraud.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 08:06 AM

3,105 posts, read 4,799,818 times
When Acorn's own former Board members are crying out for an investigation into possible financial corruption, WHY is nothing being done? (This is a separate issue from possible voter fraud).

The former members were hopeful when Rep. John Conyers (D-Michigan) said he would lead an investigation but greatly disappointed that he has backed down.

Good interview with 2 of the former BOD members (see link below). They were kicked out by Acorn top officials when they asked to see the books. ($1 million had been embezzled earlier - watch video for more info). The one lady is still head of the DC BOD according to the DC chapter (they are supporting her) but not recognized by Ntl Acorn - she has been locked out of her office. These women are BIG supporters of the philosophy and work of Acorn but want a thorough investigation of the organization.

Americans should be screaming out in protest against Acorn getting more funds at least until an investigation is made.

Videos of the 2 former board members talking about the corruption and secrecy:
YouTube - Beck interviews Members of ACORN 8 part 2
YouTube - Beck interviews ACORN members part 1

Other info
Welcome to the Frontpage
Ousted ACORN members seek federal criminal investigation - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review
MichNews.com Alas, ACORN 8 Can't Have It All (http://www.michnews.com/Michael_J_Gaynor/Alas_ACORN_8_Can_t_Have_It_All.shtml - broken link)

The American Spectator : Conyers Kills ACORN Probe
Conyers weighing probe of ACORN - Washington Times

Old 05-11-2009, 08:15 AM

9,047 posts, read 8,158,410 times
The poll results are quite telling. I'm confident many would be "progressives" are secretly hitting the NO box as well. Shhh....don't tell any of your Obama supporting friends, they might disown you.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:22 AM

4,608 posts, read 5,091,005 times
ACORN associates should receive two squares a day and hard labor in a federal institution. With the 0 as their personal supervisor and task master.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:25 AM

5,377 posts, read 7,242,838 times
ACORN is nothing more than a religious organization preaching the gospel of the abhorrent Prophet Obama. Once his cult starts to collapse I think we will see mass suicides by the way of grape koolaid.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:59 AM

13,661 posts, read 8,128,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
The poll results are quite telling. I'm confident many would be "progressives" are secretly hitting the NO box as well. Shhh....don't tell any of your Obama supporting friends, they might disown you.
i think you may be right about that. good for them.

Old 05-11-2009, 10:36 AM

19,178 posts, read 20,166,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
The poll results are quite telling.
Yes, it shows how far from the truth many people's understanding is.

Old 05-11-2009, 11:28 AM

8,744 posts, read 6,832,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canerican View Post
Them, and Planned Parenthood too. They both need to be defunded right now.
I dont know how I feel about Acorn but I do believe Planned Parenthood should be funded.

Old 05-11-2009, 11:44 AM

3,293 posts, read 4,099,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudCapMarine View Post
More Acorn Voter Fraud Comes to Light - WSJ.com

More Acorn Voter Fraud Comes to Light
Congressional Democrats still want the group to be eligible for federal money.
Become part of the peaceful, Tea Party "Freedom of Speech" movement.

(Two More Days of Tea Parties Planned. Maybe, we can stop ACORN together... Call your members of Congress and tell them how you feel about ACORN.)

There will be Tea Parties held across America on July 4, 2009. Official Tax Day TEA Party, July 4th, 2009

But the big one will be a march to the federal capital on Sept 12, 2009. Washington DC Tea Party.com Blogs Blog In 9/12/2009 - 9/14/2009 Join Now

Old 05-11-2009, 11:49 AM

9,047 posts, read 8,158,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
I dont know how I feel about Acorn but I do believe Planned Parenthood should be funded.
I disagree, esp. after some rabid lunatic PP red at the Eno River festival practically pushed literature on me and threatened my girlfriend and I with being kicked out of the festival if I didn't listen to her.

These organizations, while good in theory, do nothing but become partisan mouthpieces for a particular party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies